At my wits end!
Is the OCP making me into a crazy lady?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ~TCBF~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Let me just start this by saying I don't need to be on OCP for contraception, DH had a successful vasectomy 3 (or 4?) years ago.

However, I have a crappy 25-26 day cycle often with mid-cycle bleeding. I feel like I have my period constantly.

I decided to go back onto OCP to help get me back into a regular 28 day cycle. I am about ten days into it and I feel like I belong on the funny farm. Immediately, I gained two and a bit kilos. My boobs are bigger and sore. My stomach is huge. I've started to really watch what I eat but the weight is not moving, which is very unusual for me. But worst of all, I'm cranky, impatient and little things (that would never normally bother me) and really upsetting me. To the point of tears. The fact I'm concentrating so hard on watching my diet to get this two kilos off and it's not happening is adding to the stress that my already fragile mood can't handle. I feel like a crazy lady!

Is this normal? I probably haven't been on a mixed OCP since before I had my first child (he's eight) so I can't really remember if this is what it's like. I'm going to stop taking it as of right now to see if I can start to feel normal again, but are there any alternatives for me? The 25 day cycle thing SUCKS!!!!

TIA.

#2 Jenferal

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

I can't stand the pill, I get depressed and lose my libido and feel like cr*p. So I'd say yes, it probably IS the pill.

#3 MrsShine

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

From what I understand and have been told by many friends this is how a LOT of people feel on the pill - I am 100% opposite and feel worse off it. But see your GP and see if you can go on a lower dose pill maybe?

When I've come off the BCP in the last year I've had to use acupuncture and vitamins to help me adjust from 10+ years on it so maybe you'll be the same but in reverse? I'd say see your GP first, then maybe try a Chinese medicine practitioner and/or a naturopath to help your hormones adjust.

Good luck!

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

The pill made me depressed and psychotic. I'd never go back on it.

#5 barrington

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

However, I have a crappy 25-26 day cycle often with mid-cycle bleeding. I feel like I have my period constantly.
I had this, even while on the pill.  So I changed to a Mirena and I rarely have a period anymore.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

I can't stand the pill, it makes me moody, depressed and killed my sex drive.

I'm never going back on it!

#7 melaine

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

I lasted two months back in the OCP - it helped my skin. But I was needing to take panadol for my incredibly sore breasts. They felt like I had mastitis constantly (been two years since I've bf).

My skin is still good after going off it and my boobs went back to normal.

Apparently the symptoms tend to settle after 3 months... But it really put me off. I'm not quite what contraception to use now!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.