Kids wearing no shoes

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 bryce's-mummy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

It really irks me when you see young children (or anybody really) walking out and about with no shoes on. I live relatively near to Boganville, I am convinced of it. This is something commonly seen in one of our local shopping centres. Not just in summer- all year long.

Today for instance it was about 20 degrees (and chilly with winds) and I was picking up DS from school. It had even rained a little today. When I got out of the car I noticed another mother (wearing shoes) with a baby in a pram (also wearing shoes) and next to her was her toddler- perhaps 2 years old walking down the street. And he was wearing NO SHOES!! They walked about 100 metres up the road from the car to the school gate. Now sure enough the mum could have been running really really late and forgot her toddlers shoes. So okay, point taken (I would have picked up my toddler though- no way she is walking without shoes on her feet).

But it also got me thinking about all the times I do see kids without shoes. Why do parents let their kids walk around with nothing on their feet? It's disgusting- god only knows what you'd get (or step on) with no foot protection. Unless you are walking on a really hot day near the beach (down the esplanade) or at the local pool, I don't think there's any justification for NOT wearing shoes.

Reminds me of a time when I was in the city coming home from work- cold rainy day (umbrella weather) and about 3 teens are walking up the road in the middle of the city streets complete with boardies, t shirts and no shoes!! Ummm... we don't live in Califormia people- put some shoes on your feet!

One of my absolute pet peeves... What do you think?

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 03 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#2 FeralSingleMum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I agree with you OP. I don't understand why people choose not to wear shoes out.

They're not that expensive people!

Edited by DH+Me+2, 03 December 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#3 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#4 Kwyjibo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Maybe the toddler threw a hell on earth tantrum and the mum thought '**** it. Can't be a*sed with this sh*t' and let the toddler go out with no shoes.

Some mornings it is easier to throw in the towel.

#5 babatjie

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Why does it matter? And so what if your feet are dirty, you don't use them to eat? The germs you will find on your hands are a thousand times worse and you touch your or your children's faces with it. Outside, is mostly clean, it is 'disinfected' daily by UV from the Sun.

#6 **Xena**

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I often don't wear shoes. I just prefer not to have anything on my feet.

If I come down with some horrendous foot disease I reserve you the right to say "Told you so you dirty bogan!" I'll even let you spank me.

#7 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

My 3 year old frequently refuses to wear shoes when we drop off/ pick up DD from school. I couldn't care less if people think it's disgusting. I look out for glass etc and wash his feet when we return home. I don't get the angst.

#8 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

You want to wear shoes? Wear shoes.

I grew up in a beach suburb and was barefoot for most of my childhood. I prefer being barefoot.

I'm in for a spanking after Xena if they're on offer.

#9 fancie

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

I'm with you OP.

Having once stepped on a small piece of glass (about half the size of a pea) I never go out without shoes on nor do I allow DD to go out withou them.

The piece of glass I stepped on went straight in, left no easily seen sign (had to pull at the ball of my foot to see the entry slit) - but hurt like billy-o!  The doctor worked up quite a sweat trying to get the mongrel of a thing out too.

#10 rabbit hyde

I don't really care.  I didn't wear shoes until I moved to Australia and that was because we thought everything was going to kill us.

Maybe the child really doesn't like wearing shoes and like Kwyjibo suggested the mother just couldn't be bothered.  

When you consider the amount of germs on doorknobs, money, touchscreens etc etc.  It makes more sense for people to wear gloves rather than shoes.  People touch their face and mouth with their hands a hell of a lot more then they do with their feet.

#11 Tobias'smum

you wont like me  - DS walked around sydney aqurium with no shoes - hes 21 months and gets really sweaty feet (both DH and i do  and we both have botox injections to help but wont allow ds to get injections til older in mean tim we use medicated anti persperent (sp?))we were there on a quick visit for a family party only flew in the night before i wasnt going to argue with him about shoes. I do however take wash clothes and soap to wash his feet after he runs around but for walking the street etc he wears shoes - i put them on just before going out or getting out of the car.

like pp said maybe the kids chucked a wobbly and it was the lessor of 2 evils

#12 Gembac8019

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

I don't get it either. I love it when I see people in a jumper with a hoodie, shivering in winter with boardshorts on and no shoes either and are sick. um, put some tracksuit pants on perhaps?

#13 Starrydawn

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Who cares? It p*sses me that people judge over something so trivial.

My 18mth old doesn't wear shoes as she has never worn them so they feel odd to her. So she walks barefoot. I can't believe anyone would have an issue with it.

#14 4kidlets

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

A 2 year old - who knows what the reason was? But if child was happy enough and not distressed about it - not sure what the problem is shrug.gif

Same with teeangers walking along the streets - no shoes must of been a choice they made, wasnt bothering them, whose problem is it? They didnt seem to have a problem and  I dont think people have to wear shoes just so it looks better for you shrug.gif

It's disgusting- god only knows what you'd get (or step on) with no foot protection
Nothing more than you'd get or step on at the beach or on the grass at a park and many people go barefoot there.

I think, other than places where there is a dress code,  - which obviously doesnt include walking along a public street - then people can choose to wear shoes or not wear shoes - its their choice and not my problem.
If its a cold rainy day in Australia or a hot sunny day in California - its still their choice. No one has to put shoes on just becasue I would be cold without them.

They're not that expensive people!

Its not about expense, its just about choice.

#15 bokchok

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

my dd prefers no shoes, i try encourage her to keep them on depending on where we are (e.g. shopping or street etc) - if not really safe for bare feet i will then carry her, but other than that i dont mind i prefer no shoes as its just more comfy and we in the beach suburbs of adelaide. at school they yank them off as soon as they can unless really cold

i have also read somewhere goodness knows where is that its not a bad thing because as their feet are still developing, forming etc its better not to restrict their feet so to speak but i dont know if thats the case.

at the same time, i wouldnt let her around the city or something barefoot but in general its just shoes unless inappropriate.

and as PP said, sometimes toddlers put up a hell of a fight and its not worth it over shoes

#16 Kafkaesque

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

This thread again....

My toddlers frequently didn't wear shoes. They still have feet and have lived.

#17 EffiesMum172

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Edited by EffiesMum172, 04 December 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#18 blackbird

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

my 4 year old used to hide his shoes on purposed, I used to be that mum, toddler no shoes and yes because it was easier than arguing over what should be a short round trip. on holiday in NZ this year I was really surprised how many kids were running around shoe-less but they had lovely grassed oval and parks to run around on so I guess that's where that comes from, my DS5 will take his shoes off the second he can so sometimes he walks into childcare with me to pick up DS4 with no shoes and I quietly wonder if I am being judged.

I do however pick up DS4 when he didn't have shoes, as much as I could and I am vigilantly scanning around for any unsuspecting snail or menacing shards of glass, at the beach or school or local shops if need be.

#19 MakesMeHappy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Ds1 (2yo) always took his shoes off when he was in a trolley. When he first started doing it I used to persist and put them back on but he just used to take them off again.. I was worried about what others would think so I would leave his shoes in the trolley with him so they could see he does actually have shoes, but he soon learnt to throw them out of the trolley. So they just stayed in my bag and I just walked around like a bogan...

I used to judge and in some situations still do but I also understand sometimes it is just not worth the battle... Luckily DS is growing out of it now and actually loves shoes original.gif

ETA- I also only wear thongs even in the rain, I don't feel the cold in my feet. And I much prefer being bare feet. I kick my thongs off as soon as I walk in the door

Edited by popple, 03 December 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#20 bryce's-mummy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (fancie @ 03/12/2012, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with you OP.

Having once stepped on a small piece of glass (about half the size of a pea) I never go out without shoes on nor do I allow DD to go out withou them.

The piece of glass I stepped on went straight in, left no easily seen sign (had to pull at the ball of my foot to see the entry slit) - but hurt like billy-o!  The doctor worked up quite a sweat trying to get the mongrel of a thing out too.

This is what has happened to me too- piece of glass when I was in my own backyard of all places.

QUOTE (rabbit hyde @ 03/12/2012, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't really care.  I didn't wear shoes until I moved to Australia and that was because we thought everything was going to kill us.

Maybe the child really doesn't like wearing shoes and like Kwyjibo suggested the mother just couldn't be bothered.  

When you consider the amount of germs on doorknobs, money, touchscreens etc etc.  It makes more sense for people to wear gloves rather than shoes.  People touch their face and mouth with their hands a hell of a lot more then they do with their feet.

It is not the germs that worry me at all. I am one of those mums who gives food/dummy etc back to child when it has fallen onto the floor. It is the potential to step onto something hazardous. I have also stood on three corner jacks which KILL. And have you ever had your kids burn their feet outside because the ground has been hot? I know that wearing no shoes is better for the foot etc (especially children) but I think that when you are out shoes are a must (we DO NOT live in a seaside suburb) as one PP has suggested, nor in a desert! And whoever said it wasn't cold today in Adelaide- I beg to differ. It was FREEZING (compared to our almost 40 degree weekend!)

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 03 December 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#21 Poughkeepsie

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Try having a child with sensory issues who refuses to wear shoes...sometimes it's bare feet, occasionally socks but no shoes, but rarely will I get a pair of shoes on my child's feet.  So quit judging and maybe appreciate that you don't have to fight that particular battle each time you need to leave the house.

#22 **Xena**

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

I jumped over a fence barefoot and had a bolt go right through it. Still hasn't stopped me. Probably I am just stupid biggrin.gif

#23 bryce's-mummy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Also I didn't really 'judge' the mum at school. I wondered if the child had kicked his shoes off in the car. Like I said- it just got me thinking of all times I have seen this.

#24 Starrydawn

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

If it was freezing I always put socks on her. I have about 5 pairs of cute shoes for her all unworn. I tried but she froze and couldn't work out how to walk. She likes to feel the ground.

As PP said it is better for their development in the early years as well.

#25 opethmum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

For Xena and Wootferretofdoom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.