If I liked The Passage/The Twelve...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Libertine

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Then what do you recommend I read next?

Btw 'liked' was probably an understatement ! :-)

#2 Lyra

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

What did you like about it? The Vampire element? The sweeping narrative?

I have also liked

* Game of Thrones (working my way through the series)
* Let the right one in

#3 Libertine

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

I liked both elements tbh. When I started it I thought it was going to be a full on horror and that's not usually my genre of choice but I stuck with it and got sucked into it and couldn't put either book down.

I've read all the Game of Thrones books (in fact I am an incredible bore how much I go about how good they were lol)

I've started Gone Girl after a recommendation on here but I was thinking it would be good to get into another series similar to The Passage.

Or even just a book/books that people who enjoyed The Passage enjoyed!

Anyone?

#4 Arls01

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Have you tried Stephen King? Not his earlier mostly horror ones, but his most recent ones like "Under the Dome". I loved that. Am also a big fan of "The Passage" but haven't read the sequel yet. Is it as good?

#5 Interrobang

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I was going to say Let The Right One in but Lyra beat me to it. I also loved Handling the Undead and Harbour, also by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

#6 purplekitty

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

I was thinking Let the right one i as well.
I enjoyed The Strain Trilogy but some will disagree.

#7 BlondieUK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Libertine @ 04/12/2012, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then what do you recommend I read next?

Btw 'liked' was probably an understatement ! :-)

I liked The Twelve, but also though that it was not as good as The Passage.

Try some Leon Uris - it has the scope and drama of Stephen King, but is a bit less "shove every pop culture reference in".

#8 Lyra

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Interrobang @ 06/12/2012, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to say Let The Right One in but Lyra beat me to it. I also loved Handling the Undead and Harbour, also by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

I liked 'Handling the Undead' but intensely disliked 'Harbour' and I'm not sure why. It could be that 'Harbour' had a different translator to the other two

I agree with the PP about Stephen King. He can be quite good. The Stand is similar in themes to The Passage

Other books I have enjoyed recently but not necessarily in the same vein are

* Skippy Dies
* The Road (very depressing though, you have been warned)
* Catch 22 (I got more out of it on the second reading)
* Ian Banks can do some great stuff - The Crow Road is one of my favourites

#9 purplekitty

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (BlondieUK @ 06/12/2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked The Twelve, but also though that it was not as good as The Passage.
I was a bit disappointed in The Twelve.

#10 jenooo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

I powered through both The Passage and The Twelve and have also been looking for something else good, so will try a few tips already mentioned!

If you haven't ready World War Z, it's a great book, and much less about the horror element than how it's handled all around the world. I am rereading it already. Btw the Brad Pitt movie doesn't resemble the book in the slightest, so don't let the trailer colour your opinion on it.

#11 jenooo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

oops, double post.

Edited by jenooo, 06 December 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#12 Lyra

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (jenooo @ 06/12/2012, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I powered through both The Passage and The Twelve and have also been looking for something else good, so will try a few tips already mentioned!

If you haven't ready World War Z, it's a great book, and much less about the horror element than how it's handled all around the world. I am rereading it already. Btw the Brad Pitt movie doesn't resemble the book in the slightest, so don't let the trailer colour your opinion on it.

World War Z is awesome! I saw the trailer and got so angry at how they have completely flucked it up! So, yeah, ignore the trailer and read the book instead

#13 Libertine

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thanks guys. Some great suggestions, I will look into them.

BTW the writing style of The Passage reminded me of Stephen King a bit so I might retread some of his. I read most as a teenager so it's always fun to see if you still like the same ones Now. I remember rereading Christine MANY times lol.

And I am partial to some early Iain Banks though I hated that more recent one, was it called Solar or something like that?

Off to Google (ah the joys of middle if the night breastfeeds!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.