What electronic gadgets do your kids use?
Xbox? Wii? Ipad? DS?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 fran123

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

For the 2nd year in a row my DS7 has requested something electronic for Xmas. Last year it was a DS or XBOX. This year its and XBOX or IPAD.  We haven't bought anything like that for him yet as he uses the laptop whenever he wants to play games.  I am not sure if I should ignore his requests for another year or go ahead and finally get him what he actually wants for XMas.    I could easily spend lots of $$$ on bits and bobs or just get him one big pressie.  Can you tell me what your children around this age use electronic wise and if you have any recommendations on what to get/what not to get. By the way we are heading out on an overseas holiday next year so am wondering if an IPAD is the answer (although I shriek at the cost - $500?)  Thanks

#2 Carmen02

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

an ipad would be fantastic especially with an overseas holiday coming up. my DD is 10 and DS is 8, they have an ipod, a 3D DS, a wii and a laptop to use. They would love an ipad. If you can afford it go ahead it defiently would come in handy

#3 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

My 4 year old got an iPod Touch last Christmas, it's been great.  I'll upgrade her to an iPad in a few years.

She uses it to listen to music on a dock in her room, and we take it out when we're stuck waiting places.  She sometimes takes photos on it too.

#4 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

We have a family ipad. That is most popular. Then they each have a ds probably second. We do have an xbox kinect, but no-one uses it much. Only ever few months.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

We like ipad/ ipad mini/iPod touch.

DS 1 is 7 yrs. he has no concept of x  box or DS though.

#6 fran123

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Just putting this out there again for at least a couple more responses. I'm suspecting IPAD is the way to go....... original.gif

#7 3mummy3

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

If i had my time over i would avoid all electronics for my kids like the plague!!!
My boys are 13 and 12 and spend 99% of their free time (after school and sporting commitments) glued to one screen or another. 13yo is generally xbox or iphone and 12yo is samsung galaxy tab or ipod touch. Unfortunately i havent been very good at restricting there use and really dont want to deal with the fallout if i did start now.

But in answer to your question if you really want to get something id go ipad if you can afford it.

#8 fran123

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (3mummy3 @ 05/12/2012, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If i had my time over i would avoid all electronics for my kids like the plague!!!
My boys are 13 and 12 and spend 99% of their free time (after school and sporting commitments) glued to one screen or another. 13yo is generally xbox or iphone and 12yo is samsung galaxy tab or ipod touch. Unfortunately i havent been very good at restricting there use and really dont want to deal with the fallout if i did start now.

But in answer to your question if you really want to get something id go ipad if you can afford it.

Yes, this is a big concern from me. I am wondering if it is even possible to fight technology?  I have bought my son an age appropriate jigsaw puzzle and a solitaire type board game in the hope of keeping him amused for short periods over the school holidays but suspect he will scoff a bit at these and still wish for the technology.

#9 MarthaJones

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

DD is 9yrs old and in the house we have 2 x desk top computers, a laptop, 3 tablets of some sort, Xbox 360, Ipod touch,DS3 and 2 tv's. She goes through her stages of what she is playing with but the only thing she is on weekly is the laptop (which is her's), Oh and watch Tv.

#10 sophiasmum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Whatever you do don't buy a Nintendo DS because we bought one for DS who was 6 & 1/2 last christmas, well DH insisted but I wasn't convinced, turns out I was right because he hardly plays with it anymore because he's bored of the games & new ones are so expensive.

Same christmas we bought DD who was 8 & 1/2 an iPod and it was the best thing ever, she loves it & until I recently got my iPhone, DS was on it all the time too (now he's on my iPhone every day).

There is no way I would spend $500 on an ipad for the children, I would spend less & get the ipod.

We also bought the Wii last christmas, but it hardly gets played anymore. He wants the xbox now, which aint gonna happen!

#11 mumof3kidlets

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Mine have dsi, iPod, iPad 2. iPad 2 is $400. The iPad is the best IMO. The kids love it, we also have a lot of education games on it either for free or a couple of $. My kids have learnt so much in it, reading, writing, maths and they are 4 and under.

#12 3hearts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have a 7,6 and almost 4 year old.  We have a family ipad and Dh and I have an iPhone each.  We have no gaming systems.  This year I started having 'no screen days' on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays.  Then I start letting them watch tv from Thursdays onwards and basically say yes whenever they ask me to play on the ipad or iPhone over the weekend, but of course they have to share.  We're not perfect and I probably break this rule 20% of the time when life goes pear shaped and we're treading water.  The kids are use to it and don't complain or whinge.  They're also busy with afl and ballet etc.
I'm desperately hoping to hold off for at least another 2 years and then maintain the 'no screen' days Mon-Wed.  DH and I were thinking mini iPads would be the way to go when the time comes.

#13 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

My DD8 and DS6 got a 3DS each last christmas. They love them. They have a good selection of games to rotate and like to get a new every few months. Best buy ever, keeps them happy when camping in bad weather or in the car for a while when boredom sets in on long drives.

This year we are getting an iPad for a family present and they are eagerly awaiting for Christmas morning to see if we came through and give it a whirl.

#14 -*meh*-

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

my DS1 (8yrs) got a DSi for xmas last year...

he loves it but in truth only plays it maybe once or twice a week... usually if we are going somewhere he uses it a lot in the car or other peoples houses (when no children to play with).

my kids generally prefer to play with lego or play outside so having to restrict screen time has never been an issue here... they don't play it enough to restrict it.

#15 *LucyE*

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

DS is 8 and uses an iPad.

It's technically a 'family' iPad but is predominantly filled with his apps. It's no the 3G version but we have iPhones and a 3G iPad so tethering on the rare occasion he needs the net while we're out is not a problem.

There are a lot of games on it but there are also other useful applications. He uses it to chat with us via FaceTime. He uses it to google information rather than using our computers. I prefer it because its light and portable so easy for him to bring it to me to ask questions or for me to supervise in the living room. It is possible to use educational websites such as mathletics and reading eggs on it (I think they are bringing out iPad apps too). His email address is the default on that iPad so it is easy for him to communicate with others (mostly family) without having to go through us (yes, we monitor what he is up to). The notes app is handy for him. He can also access his google docs. He plays music via the iPad as well. DH has converted his piano lesson DVDs to be accessible via the iPad (beyond me!) so we don't have issues of damaged or lost discs either.

It is expensive, but it is a device that is multifaceted and can grow with them.

As you acknowledged, it isn't the electronic device but the parental supervision that is the problem. DS would love to eat more lollies but I restrict how much he has access to. I don't expect a child to have the self control without being taught.

#16 BlondieUK

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

We have a Wii, and an iPod touch. We bought the iPod initially to aid in some music therapy/writing apps for DS1, but they both use it now. We bowl and do golf on the Wii.

Agree 100% about the parental supervision. If you set the rules early, then hopefully (!) it sets the pattern for future usage.

#17 No girls here

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

My boys are 6 and 8, and we have a Wii and DS and DH has an iPad which the kids borrow.

I would go with the iPad.  The DS was a waste of money for us as they hardly ever use it.  Although iPads are costly to buy, the games are not.  The other thing that is good for us is that the school has just bought iPads and the kids come home with apps they want to add that they have used at school.

#18 cward

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

My DD's are nearly 10 and 6.  DD1 had an ipod but it smashed earlier in the year ans she has been saving for a new one.  DD2 has my old ipod (without a camera), both my DP and I have ipads.  My DD1 is getting and ipad mini for Christmas but it will also be part of her january birthday present.  My DD2 is getting a new ipod touch, with a camera because she really wants a camera.

Mine love them as they can play music, make movies, play games etc all on the one device.  I know lots of people whose kids have DS's and they just don't get played with and the games are so expensive

#19 SummerStar

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

We have everything because we are worse with gadgets than the kids. We have 2 PS3s, 2 wiis, 1 Xbox 360, 2 iPads. There's also 2 iMacs, a MacBook and a netbook in the house.
Then the boys have iPod touches, psps, 3ds each
I have a 3ds, my daughter has only a DS lite because she isn't into it all as much.
My boys are 13 & 12 and my daughters 8 yrs & other is 13 months.
Because me and hubby have always been into gadgets the kids have always been around them/used them since they were old enough to work them.
Considering buying hubby a wii u for Christmas but I'm still not sure about it I need to read up on it more.
If I was to get my kids all one thing, it would be an iPad mini 32gb. The iPod touches and iPads get the most use out of everything and the iPad mini is actually quite a nice size in person.

Edited by SummerStar, 10 December 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#20 mumto3princesses

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

We aren't big on electronic stuff here.

DD#1 has an ipod and I got an ipod last year.

DD#2 & DD#3 got dsi's for their birthday last year. They are happy with them. They seem to play them a lot for a few days and then wont play them for a while and then back to playing again.

No wii or xbox or anything else. We do have laptops but not really to play games or anything.

#21 Frau Farbissina

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

DS 1 uses the Wii and my iPhone. Not purchased for him, but he is the main user of the Wii.

#22 ~J.E.S.S.I.C.A~

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

DD1 (7) and DS (5) have a DSi, and iPod touch each.

They have a Wii and an iPad which they share.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.