Permission to install Foxtel in a Rental Property
No Response after several inquiries

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rabbit hyde

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Just wanting to see if there is anything else I can do.

DH and I moved into our house in August.  I sent an e-mail off within the week to the RE Agent requesting permission to install a face plate on the wall so we could have foxtel.

I didn't get a reply and left it about a month before sending another e-mail with the same request.  I called a week later to follow it up and the RE Agent apologized for taking so long and that she would get back to me by the end of the week.  Which was fine, as it's not an urgent or important request.  Never heard from the RE Agent after that.

I sent another e-mail about a month ago with no response and mentioned it to the RE agent again when she did our routine house inspection.  She apologized again and said she'd follow it up.  Still no response.

I know it's not an important request but I would really like to stop seeing good deals that I'd like to take advantage of fly past because I want to abide by the conditions of my lease.

Is there any other avenue I can make this request through?

#2 beccajayne

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I've had foxtel before in a rental and they just use the antenna outlet in the wall. Is that what you are trying to get the RE  to install?

If so then I would call the RTA in your state and speak to them.
If its the antenna outlet, as far as I know the landlord is responsible for that and it should be the same as installing the telephone.
You might need to issue a breach or something as it sounds like the RE can't be bothered chasing it up for you.

Edited by beccajayne, 04 December 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Given foxtel isn't exactly a necessity I don't think there are any other avenues to persue.

Is foxtel via cable or antenna in your area?

#4 rabbit hyde

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

When I spoke to Foxtel about what they would need to install in the house, they said that they would need to do is install a faceplate next to the antennae plate.

I'm assuming it might have something to do with the IQ box.

#5 Feral-Lausii

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like my property manager.  Useless. I rang up and demanded to speak to the Real Estate owner, things were fixed quickly after that. biggrin.gif

#6 casime

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Send a letter.  Include in it that you have been making this request since whenever, how often you have made the request and that nothing has been done.  If you do not hear from them by x date citing a valid reason for refusal, then you will take it that they have no objections to you having it installed and will go ahead.   Send it registered post so that you have a receipt that it is received.

#7 BJBubbles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

If I hadn't hear back after that long, I would probably just do it anyway!

In fact... I did, but by accident when we moved into our current place!   When signing the lease, I told the landlord we were having foxtel installed. She just said OK.  Neither of us realised that the place had never had foxtel so the techncian had to install a satellite on the roof and add a plug to the wall in the lounge room. I sent the landlord an email afterwards apologising and letting her know. She didn't care...    We also had another power point put in and she didn't care about that either.

I don't see why a landlord would mind, especially if you are paying. I think it adds to the place because when finding new tennants next time, they can advertise that it's Foxtel ready!

#8 Mousky

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Can you cc your email to the  persons manager or head property manager. I would put in the subject section "failure to respond to emails" (something to get the bosses attention).  

If you do go ahead without permission. Seriously, what landlord would have a problem with a free foxtel plate? Imagine the bond claim:

Reason for claim: tenant installed foxtel therefore increasing the value of the property.

Good luck original.gif

#9 rabbit hyde

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I agree, I don't see how installing something at our cost which will make the rental more appealing for future tenants can be so hard to approve.

However as I'm giving birth in early Jan and our lease runs out around mid January.  I'm slightly paranoid about giving any reason for the RE to not renew or to give us marching orders.  In any other case I probably would have gone ahead and done it.

#10 Mousky

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

I get the impression that the property manager wouldn't even notice.

#11 Krunchie29

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

speaking as a property owner that has tenents that installed Foxtel (after asking!) I had no problem with it at all as it was at their expense!

what i would have a problem with is the useless property manager not getting back to my tenents emails!

#12 *JAC*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I would do exactly what cassime posted!

#13 2bundles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Op - if you are worried about them not renewing, ask now.

#14 AnotherFeral

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Mousky @ 04/12/2012, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get the impression that the property manager wouldn't even notice.

Same.

#15 Bottom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

I just did it- three years and 9 inspections, new owners, 2 different real estates later, no one has ever even noticed!

#16 Holidayromp

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

What State are you in?  Because I think in NSW it is something that can be installed without permission under the changes that were made last year.

Seek advice for it.

However I am surprised the house doesn't have it already as just about 95% of the houses seem to have it already!

#17 MrsLexiK

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (BJBubbles @ 04/12/2012, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I hadn't hear back after that long, I would probably just do it anyway!

In fact... I did, but by accident when we moved into our current place!   When signing the lease, I told the landlord we were having foxtel installed. She just said OK.  Neither of us realised that the place had never had foxtel so the techncian had to install a satellite on the roof and add a plug to the wall in the lounge room. I sent the landlord an email afterwards apologising and letting her know. She didn't care...    We also had another power point put in and she didn't care about that either.

I don't see why a landlord would mind, especially if you are paying. I think it adds to the place because when finding new tennants next time, they can advertise that it's Foxtel ready!

That is similar to me expect I didn't realise I should have asked whoops. My MIL happened to come around the day we had it installed and was like ummm you should have gotten permission. Nothing was said when we moved out and we got our full bond back.

#18 Academic

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Our tenants installed Foxtel without our knowledge, but for some reason it meant the antenna point was completely replaced with the Foxtel point. It was annoying when we moved back in because we don't have Foxtel and suddenly had no way to connect our TV. Lucky DH is an electrician so it wasn't a big deal to put the antenna back.

If it had been an extra point next to the antenna, I probably wouldn't have cared!

#19 Jupiter

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

You can use a single cable into the house for satellite Foxtel and your FTA antenna, if you have a splitter at each end. So the one antenna point could possibly do the job.

#20 Smoo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

I know when we did it we made it a condition of us signing the lease; even then the RE had a bit of a tanty because it was a satellite not the cable that foxtel had told us was going in on the phone. Our response was fairly much go ahead and try to take us to court given toilet in en suite never worked, we found rats in the roof etc. I really enjoyed giving notice as early as possible on that place.

Foxtel says you must have the owners permission - we had a signed letter, not sure that they really checked it.

#21 JJ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 04/12/2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Send a letter.  Include in it that you have been making this request since whenever, how often you have made the request and that nothing has been done.  If you do not hear from them by x date citing a valid reason for refusal, then you will take it that they have no objections to you having it installed and will go ahead.   Send it registered post so that you have a receipt that it is received.

This sounds good.

It's really slack of them - sure it may not be a necessity, but I would like to think that you are still entitled to a response within an acceptable period of time. I hope for your sake that they will be better when it comes to essential repairs! unsure.gif

#22 TheGreenSheep

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Weve had foxtel installed in several places we rented, we have also installed extra antenna outlets as there was only one in a back room, none actually in the lounge where you would watch tv. Our property manager couldnt care and when we moved out would not have noticed. It was a non issue.

OP I think they have taken far too long to address you reasonable request. As a LL I would also be peeved the RE wasnt doing their job. Do it as Casime suggested. Best of luck.

#23 zingy

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I'm wondering if you have the landlords mobile number, sometimes they put it on the lease. If you have the number, phone the landlord directly.

If not I would be going above the property managers head to whoever is running the place. Yu don't have to be nasty just be factual. The boss needs to know that his well paid property manager is dropping the ball. Be overly nice about it and possibly mention wanting to extend lease for another 6 months as well because if they won't extend the lease don't waste you're money installing the foxtel!

#24 laridae

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Why not just get an XBox - and then you don't actually need to get it 'installed'.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/xbox/default.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.