Dear Kate
a letter from a fellow HG sufferer

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#26 ~chiquita~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I didn't notice any links to information on HG when I read Prue's blog. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

I couldn't help think huh.gif after reading it. This article is embarrassing.

#27 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 04/12/2012, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say we let her dress like Vicki Pollard and vomit on Daily Mail paparazzi.

Indeed.

Or any paparazzi really.

Or Philip.

biggrin.gif

#28 Sentient Puddle

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Casime - I dont think I was reading the same blog as you?????? I read a slightly humorous but very understanding and empathetic piece of writing about a horrible condition and how one woman survived it!!!  

#29 tres

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

This piece reeks of tedious one-upmanship typical of the mummy-bloggers.

How much worse do you really want your pregnancy/birth experience/breast feeding journey to be? Don't compete in the how hard is it stakes - it's cringe-worthy.

#30 F.E.B.E

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

~chiquita~ - the link is in 'related' coverage here:
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/pregnancy/...1204-2atlp.html

Bloggers post their blogs in the forums themselves thus links etc are not added. I can link off to it from here though as I do think that would be useful.

The way I interpreted the story, the writer was contrasting the lives of a princess and a commoner to make that point that HG levels everyone. Yes there may be some benefits being a princess as you live in a palace and don't HAVE to work, but when you're in your PJs and vomiting in to zip loc bags you're just another pregnant woman. Plus, Kate has to contend with paparazzi and the expectation that she not complain or talk about her condition at all (the stiff upper lip.)

#31 mandarins

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I didnt realise it came from someones blog. I was reading it and thinking how poorly written is was.

It comes across the same as those people who think because they have a fancy camera and like to aim and click, that they are a photographer. Just because you have a blog and take the time to type does not make you a writer.

Unfortunately that was the tone it was written in.

#32 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (~chiquita~ @ 05/12/2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't notice any links to information on HG when I read Prue's blog. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

I couldn't help think huh.gif after reading it. This article is embarrassing.

Scroll right to the very bottom, it's there sandwiched between leave a random comment on Fairfax and other Fairfax promos. If it wasn't pointed out to me (twice now) I would have missed all together. The article itself has no such link, neither does the EB homepage.

#33 F.E.B.E

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

We also linked to the HG article several times (including right at the top) from the first article we published about Kate's pregnancy:
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style...1204-2arx2.html

The HG article is not on the homepage as it is several months old.

#34 Guest_EBmel_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I'm surprised by the reaction this piece has received from EB members. When I and the other editorial staff read it, we saw, as Amber has pointed out, a funny yet sad article from a sufferer of HG, pointing out what it's like to have the condition.

At the moment a lot of people are interested in learning more about HG - most people are confusing it with morning sickness - so Prue's article was to give a first-hand account of what it's like. Yes, it is positioned as a letter to Kate, but it's not nasty or condescending; again, as Amber has pointed out, "the writer was contrasting the lives of a princess and a commoner to make that point that HG levels everyone." Prue may have mentioned the palace, servants, etc, but that's the reality of Kate's life - along with suffering a severe illness. As a result, we stand by our decision to publish it.  

#35 Bluenomi

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I didn't like it, I felt like she was trying to point out that her HG was so much worse than anything Kate will ever have because kate is a royal. A hint of jealousy perhaps?

HG isn't a joke. Nobody, no matter how rich or famous deserves that.

#36 Bart.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 05/12/2012, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't like it, I felt like she was trying to point out that her HG was so much worse than anything Kate will ever have because kate is a royal. A hint of jealousy perhaps?

HG isn't a joke. Nobody, no matter how rich or famous deserves that.

I'm with bluenomi on this one.  The opening paragraph was unnecessary, too.

I'm sorry that both women did/are going through such a debilitating and serious condition.  I hope for Kate's sake it isn't a condition that lasts until she gives birth.  

#37 Halp

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Horrible piece. Poor Kate.

She has been forced to share her pregnancy news earlier than she wanted. She is suffering from a very real and unpleasant disease associated with her pregnancy. How is this not a condescending blog entry? Right from the start she tries to belittle her (by talking down surrounding her title) and then all throughout her experience by sniping remarks of her privileged life (maids, someone who isn't her husband to administer her medicine). NEWS FLASH if you are living in a first world country, congratulations you are privileged and lucky to have such first rate access to medical treatment. You say it is the reality of her life so then why even mention it other than for point scoring considering we are all very aware of who she is and how she lives? I notice the author didn't add in anything relating to her own lucky circumstances... having a husband to help with medicine, living in a country that provides said medicine. Hey, they both drink clean water and that is a reality for them why not mention that pointless information too? Oh yeah because their was a point to framing Kate's life, it is called degrading one-up-manship.

It isn't a competition, why does this person feel so insecure that they have to make it one? How about contrasting her own life with that of somebody in a 3rd world country suffering a pregnancy complication?

Stupid article.

Edited by Halp, 05 December 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#38 mandarins

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (EBmel @ 05/12/2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it is positioned as a letter to Kate, but it's not nasty or condescending; again, as Amber has pointed out, "the writer was contrasting the lives of a princess and a commoner to make that point that HG levels everyone." Prue may have mentioned the palace, servants, etc, but that's the reality of Kate's life - along with suffering a severe illness. As a result, we stand by our decision to publish it.

But that is part of my problem with it.
It just seems ignorant. Not about the sickness but about the person being referred to suffering from it.
I could be wrong but I thought the couple lived (by royal standards) a modest life. Have they moved into the palace yet? I thought they lived in a 4 bedroom farm house and had no wait staff. I am sure they have advisors etc but the writing sounded like a fairytale view of Kates life, which I'm sure with people watching and speculating and writing   rolleyes.gif about her every move it is not in reality what we all think it is... Diana Princess of Wales anyone??

And the fashion plate bit? She is well known for not flaunting it and re wearing clothes.  And to be further pedantic, she is Catherine Duchess of Cambridge. I think you will find this will always be her tittle. She is not going to Queen one day... but her husband will probably become the King of England.

#39 ASDivine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Lol I thought it was pretty funny. It's just a bit of lighthearted reading, not a peer reviewed journal article on best practice treatments of HG amongst different socioeconomic groups.

#40 Froger

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Halp @ 05/12/2012, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Horrible piece. Poor Kate.

She has been forced to share her pregnancy news earlier than she wanted. She is suffering from a very real and unpleasant disease associated with her pregnancy. How is this not a condescending blog entry? Right from the start she tries to belittle her (by talking down surrounding her title) and then all throughout her experience by sniping remarks of her privileged life (maids, someone who isn't her husband to administer her medicine). NEWS FLASH if you are living in a first world country, congratulations you are privileged and lucky to have such first rate access to medical treatment.

It isn't a competition, why does this person feel so insecure that they have to make it one?

Yes true. But contrast the treatment of Kate, with the treatment of other British women relying on the NHS. From what I read the NHS reportedly has alot of difficulties in the area of pregnancy care at the moment due to gross underfunding.

And honestly, I think it is perfectly okay to make "sniping remarks" about a women who reportedly spent $55,000 on clothes for the first 6 months of 2012. She should not be immune from criticism about her extravagent and wasteful lifestyle merely by virtue of the fact that she is now pregnant.

#41 Halp

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Oh I must have missed the part where it mentioned anything about the UK. It is an Australian blogger talking about her experience in Australia.

It reads like she just wanted to share her story so why not just say "hearing of Kate's experience I'm reminded of my own..." and continued on without the snide remarks along the way? Humour at the expense of somebody else is very cheap.

Do you really think sniping somebody will have any affect on their choices in regards to their finances? All it does is make the person look bad, does nothing to change the world into a better place and trying to act like it does is the only hilarious thing to come from this whole thing. Justifying bad behaviour with somebody else's is ridiculous; two wrongs don't make a right.

#42 casime

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Yes, it is positioned as a letter to Kate, but it's not nasty or condescending; again, as Amber has pointed out, "the writer was contrasting the lives of a princess and a commoner to make that point that HG levels everyone." Prue may have mentioned the palace, servants, etc, but that's the reality of Kate's life - along with suffering a severe illness. As a result, we stand by our decision to publish it.

She could have written it without the digs about royalty.  It's obvious the writer knows nothing about the royal couple (who live near his work, not in a palace at the moment), and it is all about the writer.  If she wanted to write a piece sympathising about the condition and bringing awareness to her, she could have.  Instead she went for cheap laughs, which fell flat.

And honestly, I think it is perfectly okay to make "sniping remarks" about a women who reportedly spent $55,000 on clothes for the first 6 months of 2012. She should not be immune from criticism about her extravagent and wasteful lifestyle merely by virtue of the fact that she is now pregnant.

So what?  That is part of her job now.   She spends her life in front of the cameras and everything she wears is analysed, criticised, pulled apart and analysed.  If she wears something twice it makes front page news FGS.   How much as Kim Kardashian spent on clothes in the last six months?  Beyonce?  Brynne Edelsten?  At least the Duchess of Cambridge is spending her time as a patron for charities, and she's a volunteer scout leader.  I'm sure she's doing a lot more than many other so called celebrities who spend a fortune on clothing.

#43 Pooks Combusted

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

HG is hell on a stick. And we don't get adequate treatment of it. I was treated like a sook or a lunatic by most medical professionals. I was unable to work, but had to shell out at least $100 a week on medication which is not subsidized, to avoid becoming so sick that I needed constant hospitalization. I was deeply depressed, but offered zero support for my mental health. I was never referred to a psych or social worker for support. No one in my life was given information about the illness so they could understand how to help. I was unable toay rent and had to give up a job I loved, but was simply unable to do, so I could sleep on my mum's couch and try to talk myself out of termination. My experience is on the less extreme end of the spectrum of HG experiences.

How about we talk about that.

#44 Froger

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

As much as I dislike the other celebrities you name, there is an inherent difference between them and Kate. Kate has done nothing except get married to someone else who has done nothing except be born.

While, yes, it could be argued the same about some other "celebrities", the fact is that the public do not have to support them, all the while kowtowing to them. This is also in addition to the fact that at the same time as public benefits are being reduced, public money is spent on supporting the royal lifestyle.

Australian (and British) women are subject to such long waiting times for public medical care, all the while this pair ponce around living a life of unimaginable luxury. Simply by virtue of an accident of birth.

#45 Starrydawn

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think the article was written with good intentions even if it did mis the mark a few times.

I too had a HG pregnancy and wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was hell. I wished to die, miscarriage or terminate. This was a much tried for and wanted pregnancy. I never felt so bad.

I wish Kate all the best.  HG doesn't discriminate. I feel for her and hope she improves fast.

#46 Bluenomi

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 05/12/2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As much as I dislike the other celebrities you name, there is an inherent difference between them and Kate. Kate has done nothing except get married to someone else who has done nothing except be born.

While, yes, it could be argued the same about some other "celebrities", the fact is that the public do not have to support them, all the while kowtowing to them. This is also in addition to the fact that at the same time as public benefits are being reduced, public money is spent on supporting the royal lifestyle.

Australian (and British) women are subject to such long waiting times for public medical care, all the while this pair ponce around living a life of unimaginable luxury. Simply by virtue of an accident of birth.

Wow, jealous much? I guess all their charity work and the fact William has a job count for nothing then?

She's sick, let her be. So she married a rich guy, does that mean she's open for you to abuse her?

#47 Zeppelina

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 05/12/2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Casime - I dont think I was reading the same blog as you?????? I read a slightly humorous but very understanding and empathetic piece of writing about a horrible condition and how one woman survived it!!!

Me too  shrug.gif

#48 casime

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

You could make the some claim about anyone with a trust fund.  How about those people whose parents left them a house?  Are they awful too?  Jealous?

BTW, Prince William is a search and rescue pilot.   I don't know where that fits in your little lexicon of who is oxygen worthy, but I happen to think that someone taking risks to save the lives of others rates pretty highly on my list.

#49 mandarins

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 05/12/2012, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HG is hell on a stick. And we don't get adequate treatment of it. I was treated like a sook or a lunatic by most medical professionals. I was unable to work, but had to shell out at least $100 a week on medication which is not subsidized, to avoid becoming so sick that I needed constant hospitalization. I was deeply depressed, but offered zero support for my mental health. I was never referred to a psych or social worker for support. No one in my life was given information about the illness so they could understand how to help. I was unable toay rent and had to give up a job I loved, but was simply unable to do, so I could sleep on my mum's couch and try to talk myself out of termination. My experience is on the less extreme end of the spectrum of HG experiences.

How about we talk about that.

pooks I got more understanding of this sickness in your few sentences than I did from Prues 'letter' complaining about not being able to show off maternity wear...

#50 tres

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 05/12/2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simply by virtue of an accident of birth.

I often think this about the royal family but from the other perspective - Who'd want that level of scrutiny in their lives, or the lack of privacy? I wouldn't - it'd be hell. It ruins people.

Plenty of people "ponce around" the world in unimaginable luxury but without the scrutiny and intrusion that the royal family cop.

I think they do a lot for charity and raise awareness or important causes by their sheer clout. HG sufferers will, for example, hopefully be better understood now that we're all talking/reading about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.