Easy dress suggestion

6 replies to this topic

#1 aphraell

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi

I've made a couple of dresses for DD and can see a definite improvement in my sewing. So thinking I might try and make something for me to wear.

Looking for an easy dress pattern - I like the look of this
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/43808#.UL3UTY5EzH0

but think its probably a bit much for a beginner sewer. Anyone have any suggestions?

The style of dress above suits my shape - shift dresses etc  don't work for me at all

#2 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

It could have changed, but Burda patterns don't include seam allowances, which means you need to do this yourself when you trace/cut the pattern.  As a beginner sewer, I would stay away from that and stick with patterns that include seam allowances in their pattern pieces.

It looks like you want a pattern that is shaped?  

Kwik Sew Cross-over dress (K3949)

Simplicity Cynthia Rowley collection - dress

Simplicity dress 2442 (it says special occasion, but if you just make it in regular fabric, it's along the lines you want.)

New Look 6020 - fitted panelled dress

New Look - 4 dresses in 1

New Look 6557 - strappy summer dresses

New Look 6776 this is also similar to the dress pic you posted

New Look 6966 - retro style summer dresses

Anyway, that should give you some idea.  A lot of the big/commercial pattern companies (Simplicity, Butterick, Vogue, etc) will have a range of easy/beginner patterns that you can select from.

#3 ednaboo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Yoda, I think they do now include seam allowances in Burda patterns?  ( I remember that they didn't a long time ago though!)

Edited by ednaboo, 05 December 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#4 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (ednaboo @ 05/12/2012, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yoda, I think they do now include seam allowances in Burda patterns?  ( I remember that they didn't a long time ago though!)

Oh, that's good then.  biggrin.gif  I've steered away from Burda in the past because I couldn't be bothered adding in the seam allowances (although sometimes I have simply used a size up).  Off to take a peek ....

OP, I think the pattern that you have picked is lovely, but probably a bit ambitious for a new sewer.

In general, the more seams, the more difficulty.  That's my general rule of thumb when trying to figure out how easy/fast I can sew something.

Plus if it is more than seam sewing, it requires more technique - zips, buttons, pleats, darts and gathers, etc.  Not hard, but these require a bit of patience  and some trial and error when you are learning them.  And for first timers, you probably don't want a lot of new techniques in the one garment.

#5 Froger

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Most patterns have a rating on them. So just check the rating.

As a beginner probably steer clear of buttons and zips as well. But plenty of nice dresses are just slip on.

I think there is a brand of pattern called Sew Easy? Or something like that. All the patterns are rated easy for beginners.

My son makes a style of dress for his sisters which is kind of similar (well vaguely in that it has a bodice, the skirt falls from the bodice, and it has shoulder straps), but much easier. It is pull over the head, with a rouched bodice and shoulder straps. I think he makes it all from one piece of material, sewn in a tube. From the look of it it appears he rouches the top piece of the fabric first, then sews it up to a tube. Hems and adds shoulder straps. He doesn't use a pattern, so it must be easy!

#6 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 05/12/2012, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son makes a style of dress for his sisters which is kind of similar (well vaguely in that it has a bodice, the skirt falls from the bodice, and it has shoulder straps), but much easier. It is pull over the head, with a rouched bodice and shoulder straps. I think he makes it all from one piece of material, sewn in a tube. From the look of it it appears he rouches the top piece of the fabric first, then sews it up to a tube. Hems and adds shoulder straps. He doesn't use a pattern, so it must be easy!

You can buy pre-rouched fabric from spotlight.  As you say, all you do is sew up a back seam to make a tube, do a quick hem and if you want, attach some straps. Viola, dress!  I have made them for nieces, etc. Very quick.

#7 SuezS

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'd read through the reviews and see what previous people have thought about the pattern, ease to sew etc.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.