Subsitute for CANNED PUMPKIN and what kind?
how.... jap, QLD blue or butternut??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

found a great recipe I want to try but it calls for canned pumpkin (come again...??? huh.gif) so I am not sure if I can used roasted pumpkin instead or how much would be in canned pumpkin if it is flavoured or such.....
....so all you wonderful americans can you please help me out.

PS I have seen canned pumpkin in the states, it just amazes what gets canned

EDITED TO ADD....
WHat kind I have some butternuts in the garden will they be ok??

Thanks!

Edited by 3Keiki, 08 December 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#2 bright*future

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

what's the recipe for?  I would think mashed pumpkin or roasted depending on the recipe?

#3 CountryFeral

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

When my MIL makes pumpkin pie (DP's stepdad was American so she had to learn how!) she uses steamed and mashed/blended pumpkin and extra sugar.

If it is not a 'pumpkin specific' recipe you can substitute stewed apples/apple sauce instead.

#4 emjrose

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

You can buy canned pumpkin in the David Jones food hall, we lived in the US for 4 years so go there now and then to satisfy our American food cravings

#5 Chelara

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Mashed should be fine.

#6 credence

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

I have substituted roasted pumpkin. What I do is put half a pumpkin with the seeds removed on a roasting tray and bake for 40 min - 1 hr (depending on the size) until cooked through. A lot of moisture will collect in the seed cavity, pour it off then scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Then mash with a fork or purée in a blender.

#7 Emerald

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (credence @ 05/12/2012, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have substituted roasted pumpkin. What I do is put half a pumpkin with the seeds removed on a roasting tray and bake for 40 min - 1 hr (depending on the size) until cooked through. A lot of moisture will collect in the seed cavity, pour it off then scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Then mash with a fork or purée in a blender.

When I make pumpkin pie it called for canned pumpkin. I use butternut pumpkin cooked and mashed. And my us hubby says its perfect

#8 kpingitquiet

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Canned pumpkin is literally just cooked, pureed pumpkin in a convenient metal container original.gif GAWD how I wish they had it here!

#9 Cat People

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

What about the baby food puree?  Is it the same?

I would use fresh though.

#10 Procrastinator5000

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 08/12/2012, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Canned pumpkin is literally just cooked, pureed pumpkin in a convenient metal container original.gif GAWD how I wish they had it here!

Exactly - not really sure how it's any more crazy than canned tomatoes or canned beans?

Just cook up pumpkin and puree it! Getting the quantity right might be the only tricky part.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Canned pumpkin is less watery than fresh mashed pumpkin.
If I'm making pumpkin pie I let it sit on paper towel or drain it well before mashing.

#12 la di dah

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 08/12/2012, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I did learn its pretty easy to puree butternuts though because I didn't order my cans in time this year.

I would not roast pumpkins to make something that's calling for pumpkin puree?

#13 purplekitty

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 08/12/2012, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would not roast pumpkins to make something that's calling for pumpkin puree?
Roast wouldn't be the right texture,would it?

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

You *can* roast before pureeing, it just depends on the flavor you want. For a milder flavor, I steam or boil then puree. For a more caramelized, deeper flavor I roast then puree. I've made pumpkin pies, bread, and soup out of each type.

#15 warriorsfan

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

http://www.usafoods.com.au/s.nl/it.A/id.2147/.f

For you Americans and Canadians, this is where we get our stuff from, Pumpkin, Grape jelly etc. The post Australian wide.  biggrin.gif

#16 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I buy my freezer paper for stencilling from them (also junior mints....mmmmmm junior mints......)
But I always prefer fresh to anything in a can if possible (including toms) but I am lucky enough to have a big garden too...
I think I will try roasting the butternut then puree and see how I go..
Its for a pumpkin chocolate slice

#17 credence

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (purplekitty @ 08/12/2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roast wouldn't be the right texture,would it?

I wouldn't chop it up into pieces and roast, like I said, one whole piece. I think it's important to roast and not steam the pumpkin because you really want to get rid of as much moisture as you can. The canned pumpkin stuff is quite concentrated.

I think you could use any sort of pumpkin really. I have always used butternut (which is actually not a pumpkin but a squash).

#18 kpingitquiet

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

(all pumpkins are squashes original.gif but that's ok, just a native food pet peeve lol)

I find butternut is great and it's the same species as the Dickinson pumpkin used to make the canned stuff, though I've been known to do a mean Qld Blue pie.

#19 Peanut

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (warriorsfan @ 08/12/2012, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.usafoods.com.au/s.nl/it.A/id.2147/.f

For you Americans and Canadians, this is where we get our stuff from, Pumpkin, Grape jelly etc. The post Australian wide.  biggrin.gif

Thanks for the link!  original.gif

Do you find the products reach you without any spills/damages etc?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.