bathroom etiquette
talking to someone

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 orangepeanut

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Is it weird to have a conversation with some when they are in the bathroom (toilet)? I dont have an issue with it at home, its the perfect way to corner my DH when I want to ask him something lol!!

BUT at work? A lady at my work does it and I think its weird/uncomforatble

WDYT??

#2 Stellajoy

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

pee time is quiet time. Shhhhhhh

#3 morgansacre

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I agree with Stellajoy, I hate having conversations while on the loo, even at home.

So yes very weird to have a co-worker doing it rolleyes.gif

Lynn

#4 bright*future

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

As soon as the door closes your mouth should too!

#5 dogsneaker

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

YES!! it's weird to have conversations while you are doing your business especially in a work toilet!!

I've been in this situation couple of times. My BFF and once a colleague of mine. Obviously I wasnt the one to initiate the conservation but I felt obligated to answer. I thought it would have been more awkward to not reply  shrug.gif

#6 starfire

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

I prefer my privacy when I enter the loo and shut the door. I think it is a bit gross carrying out a conversation while emptying out your bowels. The conversation can wait imo!

#7 IVL

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

My 3 year old does this to me, that is OK because she is 3. Once the director of my company did this to me, that was not OK. The man has many issues with boundaries, not sexual or anything just in an over sharing kind of way. Though can make the work place entertaining, especially with new staff, after a while we get used to it and he doesn't come in that much anymore.

#8 Julie3Girls

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Depends on who you are talking to.

Young kids, not a problem - my girls are chatty original.gif  Actually, if DD3 doesn't have someone to talk to, she tends to sing LOL

But work discussion etc ... gee, it can wait a few minutes please!!

#9 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I agree, gross as (to use my younger days expression) I would never ever start something with an adult ever! but people seem to like talking to me it is weird

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 05/12/2012, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on who you are talking to.

Young kids, not a problem - my girls are chatty original.gif  Actually, if DD3 doesn't have someone to talk to, she tends to sing LOL

But work discussion etc ... gee, it can wait a few minutes please!!

#10 YandiGirl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have no issue with it. biggrin.gif

I should say, I have no issue continuing a conversation which has already started. I wouldn't start a new one though.

Edited by YandiGirl, 05 December 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#11 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Not good, next time just tell her you'll talk to her when you're finished in the bathroom and leave it at that.

Silence until you're out of the room and she should get the message.

Or you could tell her not to do it because it's weird!

#12 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (bright*future @ 05/12/2012, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As soon as the door closes your mouth should too!

Nice. I'm using this!

#13 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (jiminycricket @ 05/12/2012, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it weird to have a conversation with some when they are in the bathroom (toilet)? I dont have an issue with it at home, its the perfect way to corner my DH when I want to ask him something lol!!

BUT at work? A lady at my work does it and I think its weird/uncomforatble

WDYT??

I'll talk with DH if he's in the bathroom cleaning his teeth or having a shower, usually just to ask a simple question, not for a full conversation that requires in-depth thinking.

At work, if I go in to use the toilet (ie. in the cubicle), I don't expect (or want) to have a conversation at the same time. Unless someone in the next cubicle is asking me to pass them some paper because they have run out.  

If someone is trying to initiate a conversation, I respond with one syllable/one word answers.  They get the hint.  Or I just say "Wait until I get out of here and then we can talk."

Once the director of my company did this to me, that was not OK. The man has many issues with boundaries, not sexual or anything just in an over sharing kind of way. Though can make the work place entertaining, especially with new staff, after a while we get used to it and he doesn't come in that much anymore.

I'd let him know that I will give it my full attention once I have finished my business and I'll find him in the office after I have finished in the bathroom.

Your male boss followed female staff into the female toilets??? What the?!   oomg.gif

#14 bebe12

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

I also hate it when people answer there phone. yes i called, but let me leave a message and call me back in 2 minutes. I do not need to hear you peeing! ohmy.gif

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (bebe12 @ 05/12/2012, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also hate it when people answer there phone. yes i called, but let me leave a message and call me back in 2 minutes. I do not need to hear you peeing! ohmy.gif

Who seriously has their phone in their hand when they are on the toilet?!  Eewk!!!

#16 cinderellainsydney

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

DD now 5 often sings when in the toilet (Xmas carols at the moment!), otherwise it's commentary eg "my wee is coming out a long time mummy - it's a big wee" or a call for a competition: I have the quickest wee, you can't catch me! She is not shy when it comes to the public toilets either and this normally sets off laughter from the other cubicles!

#17 Gloriana

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Oh god I hate it when DH or DD decide they need to chat to me when I am in the bathroom. They could of chatted 2 seconds beforehand lol.

So yes I would think it's weird to chat to someone in the bathroom at work.

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I have no problem with it as long as it's only during pees. Beats actually having to hear them pee.

#19 lamarque

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 05/12/2012, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no problem with it as long as it's only during pees. Beats actually having to hear them pee.

Yep or hear an accidental fart pop out, at least if we're talking I can pretend I didn't hear it.

#20 nadi~bicardi

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I used to have a receptionist who would follow me in the toilet to tell me someone was on the phone for me.  I will deal with it when I come out.  What do you want me to do - wee faster???

#21 ChunkyChook

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 05/12/2012, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same, I will happily chat to someone who is peeing or be spoken to while peeing.

But that's it.

#22 Leggy

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

I should say, I have no issue continuing a conversation which has already started. I wouldn't start a new one though.

This. If you're already talking, it seems odd not to go on...but it seems odd to start a new conversation. I wonder why it feels that way?

#23 CountryFeral

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I get dreadful performance anxiety!

If someone is entering the toilets when I am I will invariably say "Oh no! Can you sing or something?"

I was belting out "Land of Hope and Glory" the other day...... for some reason people hearing me sing in the cubicle (and I sing very badly) is far, far better than if they were to be able to hear me evacuate my bladder or.... heaven forfend... elsewhere!

#24 Cranky Kitten

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I definitely don't like being interrupted or talked to while I'm on the throne. Especially now considering it's really only when DH is home or DS is asleep that I get to visit on my own to do my business in peace and (relative) quiet without having to keep an eye on whatever havoc DS is intent on causing.

Friends that try to talk to me while I'm on the loo if we're out shopping didn't even get one word answers, they were lucky to get a grunt. They don't talk to me any more until I'm out original.gif

#25 BadgerBasher

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

DP and I are throne-conversationalists. It's the best time to corner him.
Hell, we don't even close the door any more (unless we have guests) because as soon as we do there's a little Badger hammering for access.
Out and about though, not so much. And if I'm pooping, please leave me alone to poop in peace.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.