A Jolly Good Read
looking for inspiration

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I am getting ever bored with my choice of books, I now live as close to a library as a person can get so am wanting to branch out a bit.

I want books that keep me interested (and stop me skipping pages) with good (well as in interesting not saintly good) characters and maybe even interesting settings) I am even thinking of branching out into non-fiction.

Any ideas welcome!

Thank you

Oh and if I have posted this before I am sorry but would like to get more ideas! and I hope this inspires others.

I am even considering starting a bit of a different book group in my local area, so book group ideas are always welcome.

#2 FiveAus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Bryce Courtenay. Most of his novels are brilliant, some are semi-biographical. Four Fires was one of my favourites, brilliant family saga with great characters.

#3 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Mo2k @ 05/12/2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One book which has stayed with me is " we need to talk aout kevin" by Lionel shriver.

DD loves that book!

I don't know I always read the same authors - Maeve Binchy, Jodi Piccoult, Paulina Simons.  

Hopefully I might get some fresh ideas from this thread original.gif

#4 Futureself

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Ben Elton and Stephen Fry's novels are fantastic
I like Kate Morton for an Australian author.
Caroline Overington, the Journalist, has branched out into Fiction in the last few years. Very, very good reads albeit they leave you slightly uncomfortable.

#5 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Mo2k @ 05/12/2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One book which has stayed with me is " we need to talk aout kevin" by Lionel shriver.

Ditto, but can't say I "loved" it, but, wow it was something

#6 crackles

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Books by dornford Yates are hilarious
Jonah & co, berry & co, etc

#7 Caseymay

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

What kind of books do you like?

I second Bryce Courtenay. I loved The Persimmon Tree

The One for the Money series by Janet Evanovich
Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon
Magician by R.E Feist

Just to name a few

#8 kpingitquiet

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm reading some F Scott Fitzgerald and it's hitting the spot for me, right now. Next up is probably Friend Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe biggrin.gif then probably the Ya-Ya books. Just some summer favorites of mine to get me in the right mood for the next heatwave.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

For an amusing easy read - Kathy lette's "how to kill your husband" was good.

My current favourite though is "Wild Lavender" by Belinda Alexander.

I als o enjoyed "The alphabet sisters".

Bryce Cortenay's April Fools Day will always stick with me - but I needed a box of tissues to get through that one.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 05 December 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#10 Foogle

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Where do I start?

Here's a small list of some of my favourites - some fiction, some non-fiction and in no particular order.

Diary of Provincial Lady - E. M. Delafield

The Sisters Antipodes - Jane Alison (non-fiction)

The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe (non-fiction)

The Family Orchard - Nomi Eve

Hons and Rebels - Jessica Mitford (non-fiction)

The Priest and the Medium - Suzanne Giesmann (non-fiction)

The Beak of the Finch - Jonathan Weiner (non-fiction and evolution witnessed at a break-neck speed)

Unbroken - Lauren Hillenbrand (non-fiction)

Vanity Fair - W. M. Thackerey

"...and Ladies of the Club" - Helen Hooven Santmyer. Actually this would have to be close to being my all-time favourite book.  It's not a small volume though - over a 1000 pages but a wonderful read.

The Forsyte Saga - John Galsworthy (a trilogy)

The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford

The Sunne in Splendour - Sharon Penman

Happy reading. original.gif

#11 Ianthe

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green
Catherine Alliott writes good chick lit
Sophie Hannah writes good thrillers
Alexander McCall Smith's Precious Ramotswe books are easy and fun to read-there's a heap of them
Anne Tyler writes wonderful books
Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Memory Keeper's daughter by Kim Edwards
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

#12 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Tim Winton, in particular cloud street and dirt music (although I have it all)

I also own everything by Bill Bryson (mostly non-fiction), Ben Elton (funny), Terry Pratchett (Sci-fi and funny), Jeanette Winterson (art and lies a bit of a fave).

Lately I have been enjoying some killer mystery stuff, Jo Nesbo is a bit dark (shock value) but quite good mysteries, James Patterson is very light readable mystery, there's always Agatha and I completely agree about the classics - Crime and Punishment is well worth the early hard yards (no pun intended) and books like Catch 22, Catcher in the Rye, Huckleberry Finn - basicly stuff that was banned for one reason or another and made it back original.gif

I think the BBC have some kind of top 100 books to read before you die - it's white-centric (ie it features the Bible but no other religious text) but I would have read and agreed with the inclusion of most of those books.

I also like to read the latest prize winners and especially like the Miles Franklin award nominees (for no special reason, I've just liked them a lot).

Got to go - have fun biggrin.gif

#13 beautifulgirls

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Before I go to sleep - unputdownable

#14 ~Nic~

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (beautifulgirls @ 08/12/2012, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before I go to sleep - unputdownable

I loved the plot and the story, but I didn't particularly agree with the ending (loved the lead up to the ending... it was literally the last paragrah that annoyed me!) ... thought it could have been better.

I recently resurected this old thread as I wanted to find some books I can't put down. Before I Go To Sleep came up a lot, as did Gone Girl. Another one I found from there was Sister by Rosamund Lupton, which I am half way through now and LOVE and there is another one by the same author that I am going to try next while I am waiting on my order of Gone Girl from the Book Depository.

#15 ~She~

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

My most unforgettable read to date was Sarah's Key - set in the time of the Jewish Holocaust and haunting, moved me to tears a few times. May not be your idea of enjoying a book though lol

Also, the Tea Rose series - I will try and find a link, the books are long and I have only finished the first book yet but I loved it.

#16 DreamFeralisations

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Isabel Allende - Eva Luna and Stories of Eva Luna
Tom Robbins - especially Jitterbug Perfume
E Annie Proulx - Shipping News
Russell Banks - Rule of the Bone
Ursula le Guin - The Earth Song Quartet
Robert M Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Iain (M) Banks
C J Cherryh
Alexander McCall Smith

#17 ubermum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I second the mention of Belinda Alexandra. I have read all of her books and enjoyed them all.

Another great Australian author is Joy Dettman. I loved the Woody Creek series (book 1, Pearl in a Cage) and her stand alone books are good too.

At the moment, I am reading Haruki Murakami's books. Initially,  I hated the first one I read, but I couldn't stop thinking about it and it kind of grew on me. He is actually a very clever author.

#18 pencil

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Kate Morton
Paullina Simons
Joy Dettman
Harlan Coben
Richard Laymon (if you've never had the pleasure, particularly his later ones)

#19 skylark

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

I adore Michael Chabon. Highly recommended.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Any other suggestions please?

And thank you hose who replied

#21 pinkcupcakes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

i'm currently reading the life of Pi by yann martel... ( the movie is out at cinemas, yes?)

i thought it looked interesting, and while there are a few chapters on religion that i found a little bit tedious i got through it and where i'm up to now is getting quite interesting. not exactly unputdownable but i'm liking it.

also up until recently i had never read great expectations by charles dickens... kindof an obvious one and pretty old school but i liked it.

#22 bakesgirls

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I just literally finished reading 'Never Say Die' by Chris O'Brien. I couldn't put it down. I've never been into reading memoirs before, but after this, I may start reading a few more. He was a truly great man and a wonderful writer.

#23 Mille-Mille

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm almost finished reading Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn) and it's fantastic, i'm going to be sad when it is finished (end of book depression  tongue.gif )

#24 Bluenomi

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Foogle @ 05/12/2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"...and Ladies of the Club" - Helen Hooven Santmyer. Actually this would have to be close to being my all-time favourite book.  It's not a small volume though - over a 1000 pages but a wonderful read.

The site you linked has a review that disagrees with you greatly  biggrin.gif

#25 elizabethany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Orsen Scott Card does some great SF (and some fantasy), if you want short stories he has a compilation called Maps in a Mirror which is great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.