gifts for 3 and 5 year olds
under $10

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Missmarymack

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

I have a heap of nieces to buy Christmas presents for and a strict $10 per present budget. Today I picked up some of those felt story boards from Aldi for $9.99 each, but I am still stuck for other ideas. Can anyone help??

And do you think the felt boards would be better for a 3 or a 5 year old?

#2 ~Nodnol~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Bubbles and playdoh are always winners.

I'd probably give the feltboard to the five year old over the three year old.

#3 Lyra

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

finger puppets

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60166139/

sticker books are also a win

#4 FeralDancesHere

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

DS who is three struggles with the aldi felt boards so I'd say better for the older kids as well.

Art/craft, cars and dinosaurs are his focus at the moment.

#5 Natttmumm

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

3 year old - loves playdough, stickers - $2 shop, dress up skirt from $2 shop, bubbles

5 yr old - colouring in activity book for that age group - sold in supermarkets or newsagents, stickers, headband and clips for hair

Felt game - good for 5 yr old too.

My kids are 3 and 5 - girls.

#6 ekbaby

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Felt board for the 5yr old rather than the 3yo

Matchbox cars?
Textas/crayons?

#7 Moffetta

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Skipping rope? Craft kit ? Sticker book? jewelry kit? Stuffed toy?

You can usually get little cartoon figures for under $10, I am sure the abc shop sell a 2 pack of peppa pig figures for 9.99 for example.

#8 Lyra

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Did someone mention dress ups? The best gift my daughter ever got was a heap of shoes, bags and other items my SIL picked up from an Op-Shop. She still plays with them four years on and we are a definite hit for a playdate as the kids love playing with the dress ups. And the packet ones ie pirate, princess are usually the ones left to the side in favour of the ones you have to use your imagination for

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Look on the Australian Geographic online store - select gifts for kids in the age range you are after and sort by price (lowest to highest).

Sticker books are always a hit with my girls.  The crayola wonder pads are around $10 I think.  Can usually get a small plush soft toy for under $10 too - that would be a hit with the 3yo, I think.

I think the felt boards would be better for the 5 year old (less likely to lose the felt pieces and more likely to use it properly).

My girls would be happy with a $2 scrapbook and some stickers from the $2 shop.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 05 December 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#10 jo-v

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Books are pretty cheap, especially if you come across one of those stalls selling them for $2.

#11 Gegemite

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

My girls love new coloring in books, blank notebooks and pencils/textas.

Where's Wally book for the older one?

Puzzles

Nighties/PJs

Hair accessories

#12 MrsShine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

If you have a seed store near you they always have a great table full of cute little toys & activities - high quality & reasonably inexpensive especially compared to their clothing! Lots under $10 original.gif

#13 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Sticker books are great. Australia Post offices have great little book packs of 3 or 4 books for $10. Matchbox cars, crayons, plasticine, hair ties/ribbons/clips...

#14 Delirium

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hula hoop?  Deck of kids cards - those ones specifically made for Snap or Go Fish?  Kmart has some cheap kids board games...

#15 Frau Farbissina

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

I noticed Kmart has got some good craft items with in that price range. I've seen sun catchers, little figurines to be painted,( they come with the paint) magnets to paint yourself etc.  HTH

#16 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Felt boards I would give to the 5yo.

Maybe a book for the 3yo?

Or what about a skipping rope for the 5yo?
A new bouncy ball for the 3yo?

#17 Eileithyia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

My dd 6yrs old has one thing on her christmas list, the $4.50 pom poms from Big W.

I also picked up some crafty stuff in the stationary section for under $5.

#18 Missmarymack

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

wow - thankyou all so much for your suggestions! this is fantastic. I am now actually looking forward to going shopping. I thought these presents were going to be really tough, but not now!

I will definitely give the felt boards to the 5 year olds - thanks for the input.

#19 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 05/12/2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did someone mention dress ups? The best gift my daughter ever got was a heap of shoes, bags and other items my SIL picked up from an Op-Shop. She still plays with them four years on and we are a definite hit for a playdate as the kids love playing with the dress ups. And the packet ones ie pirate, princess are usually the ones left to the side in favour of the ones you have to use your imagination for

That's a great idea

#20 luke's mummu

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I picked up a few craft kits from Ekersley's art and craft store for under $10. They look great!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.