Child age - and do they still believe?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 *-*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I cannot recall when I stopped believing in santa.

DH believes he was 8 or 9.

He thinks that DD's 1 & 2 should have worked it out by now...  They are 10 (just shy of 11) and 9.5.  I on the other hand, want to leave it be... discussion is open - and often spoken about.  DD1  has friends who don't believe - but she adamantly believes!!

SO, just to get an idea - how old are your children - and do they still believe?

#2 adnama

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

DS is 4 and has no idea not to believe he has a real understanding this year more then ever.

DD is 7 1/2 and still believes i thought maybe she wouldn't by now with kids talking at school. So if she is iffy she hasn't let on.

#3 CharliMarley

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

My 6 year old grandson doesn't even believe in the tooth fairy and he hasn't lost any teeth yet. cry1.gif

#4 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

DD started not fully believing at about 11. Probably started questioning around 9-10.  She's 12 now, it was last christmas that she really sort of let me know that she knew.
The younger ones are all under 6 and still totally into it.

#5 baddmammajamma

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

My kids are 5 & 7, and they are non-believers. As I've shared on other related threads, my 7-year-old cracked the code at 3.5, and that was that.

We have fabulous Christmases nonetheless.

#6 Oriental lily

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

9, 4, and 2

All still believe but I see a suss look in the eye of my 9 year old.

Pretty sure this will be her last year or from now on she 'pretends' to believe.

#7 ~Nic~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

3yo and 6 yo DS's both still believe, but 9yo DS started questioning it all last year (when he had just turned 8) and I am pretty sure he doesn't believe in it all anymore, but he doesn't want to say anything, just in case. I would say by next year though he won't believe in it at all..

#8 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

7 year old- no
5 year old- yes (refuses to believe eldest)

#9 *-*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Winterdanceparty @ 05/12/2012, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 6 year old grandson doesn't even believe in the tooth fairy and he hasn't lost any teeth yet. cry1.gif

The funny thing it - the tooth fairy has been outed here.  But nope, apparently the Easter bunny and Santa are still real.

The eldest is thinking it over - and her current conclusion is her own conclusion.

OM BMJ - Cracked at 3.5? I could only imagine how shocked you were. Clever little cookie!

#10 FeralSingleMum

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

5 and 2.

I think the 5 year old is getting a little suspicious and the 2 year old doesn't really understand but knows who Santa is.

#11 JustBeige

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

DD was 9.  DS was 10 when they found out.   DH and I think we were around the same age.   tbh, I cant remember what age I was I just remember busting mum putting the presents out and having an "ahhhhh" moment.

A friend of DD's was over the other day and DD mentioned that she still believes - she has 4 much younger sibs though and she is 12.

They also know that the tooth fairy and easter bunny is us, but it doesnt stop them from leaving their teeth under their pillows or doing an easter egg hunt. or diving on their Santa sacks before all else.

#12 Miranda Grace

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Ds11  found out earlier this year
Dd10 still believes or is very clever at hiding it
Dd6 still believes

#13 Iris37

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

almost 9 and 6.5 and still believers  biggrin.gif

#14 Kwyjibo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Nearly 7 and still believes.

#15 Canberra Chick

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

My mum had to tell me at 10 because I was getting picked on at school for still believing.

DD is 3 and is only just getting the concept. DS will be 8 in March and we think he knows but won't say because he thinks the presents will stop if he stops believing... We had great plans for NOT doing Santa until the grandparents came to stay the Christmas that DS was almost 4 and we had to go along with it.

#16 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

nearly 7 believes

#17 i-love-my-son

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Recently turned 8 and asked "Mum, is Santa Claus real ... or is it really you putting presents at the foot of the bed?"  I had to 'fess up.

#18 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

We told DS 3.5 that Santa is imaginary and we pretend at Christmas because it's fun.

#19 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

My 4 year old has decided there's no one Santa, but a few that help out - otherwise, how could they be at all the shopping centres original.gif

Santa has never been a big part of Christmas here, he brings one coveted gift, and the rest are from family.  Last year he bought a My Little Pony toy, this year he's bringing a dinosaur.

#20 vanessa71

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

DD is very sceptical and I don't think she really believes, but probably lives in hope that it is true. She goes to Catholic school and was horrified when I told her that I didn't believe in God and told me why there is a God. That was last year, this year she is a total non believer and that is without me expanding on what I told her last year.

I just had a conversation with her that went like this:

Isobel: Mummy, do yo know how to tell if Santa is real?

Me: How?

Isobel: You wish for something that is sold exclusively in America and if you get it, you know that Santa is real because he can go to America to get it.

She is testing.  original.gif

#21 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

My kids are 6 and 3 and yes, Santa is real.

#22 Ianthe

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

My 10yo is still holding onto believing but I don't think he really does. My 8yo has never expressed any doubt about the existence of Santa.

#23 IsolaBella

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

7yo is suspicious I think.

3&5yo no clue.

#24 tanyak1

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

My eldest is 11 and still believes. I'm amazed by this, she's very intelligent and extremely sceptical and unchildlike in lots of ways, I thought she'd stop believing last year.

Other kids are 8 and 4 and believe too (I'm worried DD1 will blab to them once she figures it out).

#25 twinmumplus1

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

My 10 year old is convinced she saw him one Christmas therefore he exists.

One of my 8 year olds believes.

The other 8 year old - I'm sure he is sussing me out.

No one believes in the tooth fairy here though - may have something to do with her forgetfulness ....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.