Mac vs PC when syncing multiple iphones

6 replies to this topic

#1 fionah

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

I hope someone understands this.

We used to have a desktop pc. Each user had their own profile and iTunes ran separately on each profile for each itunes user. Each itunes only had that iphone users apps, music etc.

We no longer have the PC but have a laptop. We have 3 different profiles on this too, but iTunes is the same on each user screen & we can't run a separate itunes user on the individuals profile. It's the same apps, music etc on each profile. This makes syncing impossible as obviously the things on the adults phones are different to the things on the 7 year olds phone (NB- There is no simcard on it. He just uses it as an ipod wink.gif )

We are looking at getting a second internet device. I love my iphone & would love an ipad, but as I have lots of music on CD's, I am guessing there isn't a way to plug a CD into the ipad to load the music and also we need to be able to sync multiple devices on atleast 1 device. Also, do you need to sync an ipad to another device, like you do with an iphone?

I am wondering if a Mac computer might be the way to go? Would it do all the things I needed it to do?

I appreciate anyones input and experience in these matters. Please feel free to ask for more clarification, I understand my post may be a bit confusing  rolleyes.gif

Fi

#2 Cheryl_v

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

You can definitely do what you want to do with just a Windows computer.  I currently have 1 iPhone, 2 iPads and 3 iPod touches synching to the same iTunes library but all the iDevices have different apps and music on them.  All you have to do make up a playlist for the music you want on the other device and check the box to "Manually manage music and videos" then on the Music tab select only the playlists you want on that device, for example one playlist might be DS and only that goes onto your 7 year olds iPhone.  Also uncheck the box which says "Automatically sync new apps" in the apps tab so that only the apps you want end up on the 7 year old's phone.

So basically what I am doing is keeping all the apps and music centralised but only distributing out the stuff each child or adult wants on their device.  Some of them overlap, some of them are for only one person, but I have access to and control over all of them.

ETA what has changed with the user profiles and iTunes isn't something about your computer, it's about how Apple want us to use iTunes.  Both Windows and Macs will run iTunes in effectively the same way so you're better off using a different criteria for what you buy next.

Edited by Cheryl_v, 05 December 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

We use one iTunes account and then select only the items which we want synced for each item.

So the kids have their movies and CD books and music and I have mine. DH has his different once again.

Eta 2x ipad
iPhone
Ipad mini
iPod touch
iPhone 3 used as iPod touch
3x 3rd gen iPod nano

Edited by lsolaBella, 05 December 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#4 fionah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Thank you.

Cheryl, I can't find where to make those setting selections. Can you please help me out?

Fi

#5 Rachel70

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Keep in mind you can only sync a maximum of 10 devices to 1 account.

#6 Cheryl_v

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

They changed iTunes quite dramatically between me reading your post and updating my iTunes.  Now it depends on what iTunes version you are running because iTunes 11 will need you to find different icons or menu settings than iTunes 10.  Can you let me know which you are running?

#7 fionah

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Wow. I just had time to come back and check this out today. We have iTunes 11 & it is different.

Fi

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.