Making cupcakes in advance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lucy-lu

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Will be making cupcakes for dd birthday, and just wanted to know whether they can be made in advance and frozen, do they turn out any good, or should I make the day before....or on the day? Would prefer in advance, and then I will frost on the day.

Thanks,

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Perfectly fine.

#3 jala73

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I'll often make a double batch and freeze half.  I take them out of  the freezer the night before I need them and ice them the next morning when they have thawed.

#4 mandarins

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

For those who have iced after freezing, did you let them defrost first or ice them while frozen? Does it make any difference to how the icing sets and lasts?

#5 Ehill

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have this wierd feeling I tried icing frozen cupcakes once and it was a disaster.  The icing wouldnt spread.  Defrost them first, they dont take long.

#6 eachschoolholidays

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I freeze them all the time.  Take them out.  Leave them on the bench for an hour and they'll defrost and then ice them.  No-one will know (esp if you make something dense like a mud cake)  wink.gif

#7 beaglebaby

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

I had cupcakes I'd forgotten to put out after DD's party, beautifully iced with buttercream with little flowers on top.  I put them all in the freezer like that and have pulled them out one at a time to go in lunch boxes.  Even fully decorated they've thawed fine.

#8 lucy-lu

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thanks everyone, also does anyone have. A recipe for icing, I just want to pipe e normal swirl onto but I don't usually use icing, is it butter cream?

#9 Ehill

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (lucy-lu @ 06/12/2012, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone, also does anyone have. A recipe for icing, I just want to pipe e normal swirl onto but I don't usually use icing, is it butter cream?

I just do, say, 30-50gm of softened butter (depending on how buttery you like it tasting) to 1.5 cups of sifted icing sugar, add a little bit of milk at a time until you get a nice consistency.  You can add some vanilla essence if you want that flavour. Add food colouring last (only tiny amounts).  I make one big batch of icing then divide it up into bowls and add different food colourings to each bowl.  

And yes I agree with the above poster, even icing freezes fine. biggrin.gif

Edited by Ehill, 06 December 2012 - 09:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.