Olives...
Come share your Olive wisdom...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 3'sACharm

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I never used to like them..and now i'm currently addicted to them (the black ones) but was wondering what is the taste difference between the green ones and the black ones??

#2 Feral Borgia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Not a lot really IMO, the green ones tend to be a bit more .....tarte perhaps.....? I can only assume that is because they are less ripe than the black ones...? (Am prepared to be corrected on this though)..I like the big green Sicilian ones, and the smallish black Ligurian olives....enjoy original.gif!

#3 ChunkyChook

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Same! I couldn't stand them. I am now addicted to jumbo black olives (pip left in is a must!) and green stuffed ones that come covered in sweet chilli sauce.

For me black are a little softer and have a more pungent??? taste. That said I have only had stuffed and chiil sauce covered green ones so that might be tricking my taste buds.

#4 Unatheowl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

My mum used to have an olive farm and produced oil as well as table olives.  There are many different varieties of olives (we had 5 on our farm for the oil mix) which all start green and then go black.  So a green Queen of Spain would taset different to a green frantoio olive for instance. We used to pick most of them green because we liked to produce a greener, more peppery olive oil.  We did a small portion of table olives which I remember being left in great barrels of salt (I never did it myself so am not entirely sure).  You cannot eat an olive straight from the tree.  It's gross.  You need to brine them for ages before they become edible.  The amount of time left in the brine/salt makes the flesh softer or harder.  So in answer to your questions there are some green olives that I like and some black that I like.  Depends on the variety.  Try them all and see.

#5 Jenferal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

and now I want olives.

We went to a fancy pants wedding a few years ago at the opera House and they had the most divine little black olives. never found the like here in Canberra. Sigh.
And my 2yr old doesn't like them! At all!

#6 kadoodle

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Despite being the olive equivalent of inferior cheese, I quite like the Katamala.

Find yourself a good EuroDeli, OP, there are so many different types of olives, all colours and flavours.

#7 Ireckon

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

And green ones are awesome in a dry martini..

#8 ELH05

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

My favorite are the green Sicilian olives....yum!!

#9 livvie7586

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 05/12/2012, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Despite being the olive equivalent of inferior cheese, I quite like the Katamala.

Find yourself a good EuroDeli, OP, there are so many different types of olives, all colours and flavours.

Kalamatas, YUM!!!

#10 CountryFeral

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

Love a big fat green deli one - don't like black at all!

We have 5 olive trees that we planted, unfortunately DP threw all the tags away and now we don't know who is who (all different varieties)

I thought this was going to be a big fat pain in the bum as I wanted to process them (as PP said it's quite a palaver) but as the birds eat every last fruit from them it hasn't been the disappointment that I feared.

A disappointment yes, but a different one.

On a side tangent has anyone seen the 'Sandhurst Jalapeno stuffed olives' lately?  They stopped being stocked in our local supermarket.

#11 spellfall

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

I am addicted to olives, despite having grown up detesting them! I prefer black ones but I will of course eat whatever's going wink.gif I find green ones less soft with a milder flavour but that could just be me!

#12 toosenuf

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

i cant stand the green one, but love the black ones.  biggrin.gif

#13 noi'mnot

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

As PPs said, there are SO MANY different types of olives, that it's impossible to really say that much about a difference between green and black ones generally.

If you have any great delis near you, you could go and get a few samples of different types to see what you like. Different olives are good for different things, too, and you'll quickly figure out what you prefer.

My local greengrocer's grandmother processes olives, and they sell them in the shop. I'm not sure what olive they are, but they're unreal! And black. original.gif

#14 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Mmmm we love the chilli and garlic stuffed green ones that you get from the deli at Coles. DD always gets a tub as her shopping treat.

If I'm feeling rich we get a tub of the lime and tequila ones.

I don't like the black ones at all.

#15 Faradaye

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Costco sells gigantic jars of green olives stuffed with an almond.

They are totally delicious.  I bought three jars last time!

#16 noi'mnot

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Faradaye @ 06/12/2012, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Costco sells gigantic jars of green olives stuffed with an almond.

They are totally delicious.  I bought three jars last time!

If you're close to a Spanish store, you can get AMAZING green olives stuffed with anchovies. Now, I know that a lot of people (generally strange ones) don't like anchovies. My mother detests both anchovies and olives (insane, I know) but tried these to be polite and she loves them. Sounds weird, but it's totally delicioius.

You can also get green olives stuffed with walnuts or garlic, also feta and such. Yummo.

#17 3'sACharm

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Is there any good varieties say in supermarkets...iga, coles, woolworths?

#18 SusieGreen

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 06/12/2012, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're close to a Spanish store, you can get AMAZING green olives stuffed with anchovies. Now, I know that a lot of people (generally strange ones) don't like anchovies. My mother detests both anchovies and olives (insane, I know) but tried these to be polite and she loves them. Sounds weird, but it's totally delicioius.

You can also get green olives stuffed with walnuts or garlic, also feta and such. Yummo.

I remember tasting some olives at the Good Food & Wine show years ago. They were DIVINE!  Imagine this (supposed) anchovy hater realising they were stuffed with anchovies..

Stoopid thing is, I can't knowingly eat an anchovy-stuffed olive...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.