Gifts ideas for 10 year Old boy
TELL ME ABOUT NERF GUNS?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mandarins

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Really stuck for xmas gift for DS.
Budget is about $100, give or take $20.

Edited by mandarins, 08 December 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#2 Mrs Bouquet

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Lego
Scooter
Skateboard
DVDs
Skylanders
Sports Gear
Remote Control Helicopter
Super Soakers
Board Games
Video Games
Camera

Depends really on what he is into and what he already has. Good luck.

Edited by MrsBouquet, 05 December 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#3 mandarins

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

This will be his Santa present and his siblings are getting gifts that 'look' impressive.
We have more than enough Lego so I would like to get something different. What are skylanders?

#4 smultron

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

My DS 10 yrs is getting a scooter from Santa- it is MGP brand- Kmart has them for $69.  he really wants a good scooter and this is the brand all his peers seem to have.  I am also a bit stumped as it will look as though his younger siblings are getting 'more' but they are getting toys and DS 10 is sort of past the toys now I feel.  
Some other things he's getting: Jamie Oliver cookbook 15 min meals as he is really interested in cooking and wants to start cooking a meal every so often with help.  He is soccer mad so some football cards, Andy Griffiths books, a mini lego man, pjs, rash vest and boardies.  so lots of books and boring soft things really! Oh, and a nerf gun.
Skylanders are a game for the Wii or Ps3 I think- they are figurines that stand on a 'portal' you get the starter packs with some figures and portal for around $70 at Target etc. My 6yo and 8yo are into these but not so much the 10yo (different kids that's all I think)
My 10 yo also wants a docking station for his ipod touch but we won't be getting that for him this Christmas.

#5 Therese

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

A camera is a great idea if he doesn't have one.

#6 mandarins

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

A camera is a GREAT idea, but we already have a very good 2nd camera which he gets to use - we have too many cameras floating around already.

#7 sammyv

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

What about a digital photo frame if he has the use of a camera?

#8 Carrie_zmatik

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Board game, Books,Model kit,Scooter,Nerf guns,Skate board

Edited by Zion Dreamer, 06 December 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#9 mandarins

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

The digital photo frame is a nice idea, though it does not seem very  Santa-ish for a 10 year old (well mine anyway). I might kept that one for another year though.

I had a brief look at NERF guns. There are lots of different types and I don't know anything about them (though DS did request one a couple of years ago). Would they be suitable for a child with younger siblings? Would they be suitable to play with by self or do you need a friend with one too?

#10 mandarins

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

so anyone else got suggestions? Nerf gun?

#11 Last Goodbye

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Mecano?

#12 mandarins

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

ok. so considering the NERF gun idea but still need to hear from people who have them. Would it be fun just to have one even if your friends dont or your siblings dont have them? And I noticed Target had shelves of different types. Where to start? What do they actually do?

#13 babybeli

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

My 10 year old son is getting a guitar, skateboard and basketball.

#14 claptrap

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

NERF guns are toy guns using foam bullets.
DS is 10 and doesn't use his much unless there's someone else to play with.

How about a telescope or a microscope - something from the Australian Geographic shop?
An amazing kite?

#15 vrx_chick

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

I actually think a Nerf Gun would be fine! DS has several, and although he plays with them with his friends, he is an only child and still plays with them at home as well original.gif Oh, and as long as you set a ground rule about never aiming them at faces, they are fine around younger children, as the bullets are quite soft...

Just to give you some other ideas, here is what my 10yr old DS is getting...

A remote control car (off -road, proper one - costing a couple of hundred $$, not a cheap one)

A Huffy Green Machine, a 3 wheeled go-kart like thing that they can sit on and ride and spin.. This might actually be a good idea for your DS as it is around the 80 to 100$$ mark...

Nintendo Monopoly - the actual boardgame with all of the Nintendo characters etc..

A Nerf Super Soaker - a great water pistol...

Clothes, small toys etc..

HTH

Amy

#16 unicycle

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

we found the green machine fun only if someone else had one to use at the same time. not much fun as a solitary activity

#17 Harmonica

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

My DS loves Nerf Guns, so I think that would be fine. Otherwise a scooter or power wing scooter, ripstik, freestanding basketball hoop, Skylanders or bike.

#18 Feral teens?

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

At that age the kids loved them. DH may have also had one :ninja:

#19 sophiasmum

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

Are we resurrecting old posts?

#20 Kay1

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

My 9 yeaf old got a remote control helicopter for his birthday and is loving it. It takes quite a bit of skill and practice so its rewarding when they master it.

Oops lol!

#21 Mavis Baker

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostKay1, on 30 September 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

My 9 yeaf old got a remote control helicopter for his birthday and is loving it. It takes quite a bit of skill and practice so its rewarding when they master it.

Oops lol!

Great present! My son received one too a couple of years ago and we all got hooked trying to keep it afloat!

#22 dolcengabbana

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

My DS is now 12 but for his 10th birthday we got him a Penny Board (skateboard) $129 at city beach he loves it still and uses it regularly and it is still in great condition.

#23 Taff

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

camera/Video camera
You can get them for well under $100

http://www.target.co...tovs-1/55743051

I don't know what the above one is like, it's just to give you an idea.

A cheap pre-paid phone
A cheap notpad (second hand, my DS's first computer was second hand, we cleaned it up and he didn't know the difference)

My own ds isn't to guns ,he's not a gun person, he  has a Nerf water gun, but never uses it.

skylanders, wouldn't bother, my ds had the first series, it was a fad with him - lasted about a month (plus you've got keep buying more stupid models!).

Lego - I know you said he has loads, do you mean the normal lego? if so, has he tried technic lego ? My ds loves Technic more than the normal lego.

meccano?
K'Nex?
both my ds loves.

Roller blades, or roller shoes?
Skateboard?
hobby building kits ( such airfix models) ?

if he doesn't play any music  and likes music (?)- a cheap d*ck Smith type keyboard and learners book? ( Mods-  I love the way poor Mr smith's Christian name automatically gets changed with an an asterisk! lol)
woodworking tools and kit?
Hate to mention this one , but I will because it's what many kids are really into at the moment- Minecraft ( I'm trying to get my son away from it, too addictive! He's been banned off it quite a few times by me - I hate the damn thing!))

I'll be buying a canoe for mine this year (his birthday and Christmas are close together) and some more lego.

Hope that helps

#24 sophiasmum

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

DS went on & on about Nerf prior to his 9th birthday this year, thankfully he got over that phase.

For xmas he is getting:

2nd hand ipad + cover
Lego set x 2
52 storey treehouse book
Doona cover DC super heroes
Boogie board mambo
Beach soccer ball
Crayola airbrush kit
Star wars poster
Converse type hi-tops
Sunglasses
Iron man dvd
Star wars prequel dvd trilogy
Sydney Swans jersey

#25 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

We bought a magnetic dart board that is based on a game with quiz cards.  It is really cool.

Our kids have nerf guns and they have made up a target to shoot the foam bullets at and they often play with that on their own.  Or they run around hiding from each other when they play together.

Hover soccer is good and cheap at about $17.  Table air hockey is also good and around $20.

Scooter or skateboard or those wheely shoes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.