Stupid pet store!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 *Ker*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I went into a local pet store today...so I could have a b**ch. Heh.

Cages down the back of puppies. I look in one, at 5 pups. Then at the sign. Oh I don't THINK so! The sign says "Aussie Shepherds".

Ya think? Not bloody likely.

Then I moved on. Rabbits. In a 2 foot by 1 foot glass box. SIX rabbits and a guinea pig. I saw red. The poor little buggers were CRAMMED in there. So on my way out, I couldn't help myself. I stopped at the girls at the counter, who smiled at me. I did not smile.

"There are WAY too many rabbits crammed in those boxes. There are SIX".

"We just got some new ones in, we're going to move them". They are liars, they don't even HAVE any more rabbit enclosures. And besides...why aren't they still out the back if they "just came in".

I'm calling RSPCA tomorrow. There HAS to be a legislation about how many rabbits are to be in one enclosure!

Pets Domain, you SUCK!

#2 la di dah

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

They look like Aussie Shepherds the way my cat does.

I was at a Pets' Paradise once that had a "Maltese" that was white - but the size of a chunky Golden Retriever puppy.  ohmy.gif  He was already big for a Maltese and he was just a baby.

#3 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Oh dear. You wouldn't like my local- rabbits, ducks and guinea pigs all together in the one little box. At least 10 all up.

#4 MinkyMonkey

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

The crappy advice being dished out makes me just as mad. I was having a look at some Maremmas who had been cooped up in their glass box for weeks at Pets Paradise, when I overheard the sales girl trying to talk and elderly lady into buying one. Apparently they didn't get too big and would be good for this old lady on her own in an apartment! The girl got real shirty with me when I stepped in to correct her and mentioned to the lady that these dogs are large, need acerage and a job oh and they barK A LOT.

#5 ~buzz~

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

sad.gif poor rabbits not sure if the RSPCA will do anything though

those puppies are just adorable though poor things

#6 *Kell*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

The RSPCA do have rules as to how large enclosures have to be for certain animals in Pet shops, however they are not very strict. So many of the times you think the cages are too small, they are actually exactly 'big enough' according to RSPCA standards but no bigger.
Still ring the RSPCA though and they will send the local inspector out to take a look, the shop might get a warning if they are in breach of any rules.

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

At a stretch they look like they might be Australian terrier x pups. Shepherd though? SHEPHERD?

If they are going to lie at least make a bit more of an effort rolleyes.gif .

Pet shops around Christmas.

Shudder.

Put the call in to the RSPCA Ker. Give them a shake up even if they only get a warning.

Make sure they know people are watching and judging.

#8 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Gawd,how I hate pet stores that sell puppies!! A majority of them all buy from puppy mills or backyard breeders. You never know what their health issues are and the price they sell mere mongrels for just amazes me really. I will NEVER buy from a pet shop! Oh,and looking at the dark coloured puppy,he reminds me of one I fostered and he had a bit of German Shepherd in him.

I WANT OSCARS LAW!

#9 Natahs_mum

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Our local one is now a rescue pet store.. All pets in there (maybe one or two at a time) are rescue pets. They are older (so no puppies, kittens etc..) and tell you a little about the animal, where it has come from (if known) and personality and even its name.

In fact two pets shops around here have followed suite. I think more should do it.

#10 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Wow,Natahs_mum,thats brilliant!

I too wish more could follow that as well.

Edited by Scruffy Wuffy, 06 December 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#11 The Old Feral

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Oh,and looking at the dark coloured puppy,he reminds me of one I fostered and he had a bit of German Shepherd in him.

I wonder if that's what they mean.... German Shepherd x Aussie something (kelpie?) = Aussie shepherd? Could they be THAT dumb?  (Don't answer that!)

#12 *Ker*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

I said to my sister "They look like German shepherd cross!" She said "Maybe they are GS and are born in Australia" lol. They look absolutely zero like an Aussie. I was too p*ssed about the rabbits to remember to say something about the mislabelled pups.

I remember a pet store worker (young girl) telling someone that shar peis are great dogs, very obedient and they have no health problems. Ok, yeah they are great dogs. But she hasnt known ANY shar peis in regards to the rest of it.

I wish ALL pet stores did rescues!

#13 CFMummy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Wow I havnt seen pups/kittens or even rabbits in our local pets domain sincethe begining of the year. In fact they have removed all inclosures other than fish. They said all tasmanian stores will no longer stock pets other than fish but will provide breeder names/numbers

#14 **Xena**

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (CFMummy @ 06/12/2012, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow I havnt seen pups/kittens or even rabbits in our local pets domain sincethe begining of the year. In fact they have removed all inclosures other than fish. They said all tasmanian stores will no longer stock pets other than fish but will provide breeder names/numbers

That's awesome if it's true.

When I went into Pets Domain last they were keeping Siamese Fighting fish in jars. Seriousy it takes 5mins of google to find out that Siamese Fighting fish don't actually prefer small spaces to swim in.

They also gave me an information pack when I bought rats once that had not only wrong information but harmful information. They also gave me a boy and girl instead of 2 girls.

#15 JJ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Actually, seeing this is about pet stores, I might just throw in a question here - have been wondering about this for a while:

Our local pet store has signs up saying they do not support "puppy mills" and get all their pups from "reputable breeders" (they come with a health guarantee of sorts). Does this really make them any more ethical (for want of a better word), or is it just something pet shops do to try and increase business? They still have all those weird mixed breeds (Cavoodles etc.) and they still live in glass cages, so I know that part of it isn't really any better than your average pet shop.

They did give me the wrong information about rabbits too... (ETA we didn't get our rabbit from them!)

Edited by JJ, 06 December 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

No ethical registered breeder will sell or are even ALLOWED to sell to pet shops.

It's a blatant lie.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (JJ @ 06/12/2012, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, seeing this is about pet stores, I might just throw in a question here - have been wondering about this for a while:

Our local pet store has signs up saying they do not support "puppy mills" and get all their pups from "reputable breeders" (they come with a health guarantee of sorts). Does this really make them any more ethical (for want of a better word), or is it just something pet shops do to try and increase business? They still have all those weird mixed breeds (Cavoodles etc.) and they still live in glass cages, so I know that part of it isn't really any better than your average pet shop.

They did give me the wrong information about rabbits too...

It's a lie. There are no reputable breeders of mixed breeds.

#18 whatnamenow

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

I know the one local pet shop that does sell puppies and cats do only sell rescue cats and the push is on to do the same with dogs.   There has been a new pet shop open up but i havnt checked it out yet.  

I know several years ago ( about 10 or 12) when sunday trading used to be non existant i used to have a deal with the local pet store to take the puppies home over the weekend.  They used to love being able to actually move around in our little courtyard and have family.  If we cant stop them from selling them i wish we could go back to that again and  at least give them some life other than that glass cage.

#19 Froger

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I heard on the radio the other day that some pet store chain are only going to sell rescue dogs and cats. Not sure which chain of stores, I have forgotten.

#20 JJ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 06/12/2012, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard on the radio the other day that some pet store chain are only going to sell rescue dogs and cats. Not sure which chain of stores, I have forgotten.

Our local Petbarn only has RSPCA rescue cats (plus they sell fish - they used to have rodents and birds too, but stopped selling those years ago).

Thanks for the answers to my question re. the other pet store. Pretty much what I thought - such a shame. sad.gif

#21 *Ker*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Since Oscar's Law started becoming more well known, pet stores have been getting faced with the puppy mill questions from educated consumers. I used to go into a PP when it was really crowded and ask loudly "do you buy from puppy mills?" It was fun to watch them scramble. It's a bald faced LIE that they buy stock from reputable breeders. Reputable breeders do not breed cavoodles, schnoodles and the likes. They either come from puppy mills or Shazza down the street throwing Mick's dog on her b**ch to make bucks. And that's not reputable either.

Well, I called the RSPCA. there are no clear cut guidelines on size of enclosures, but they must be large enough for the animal to sit, stand up and turn around without being impeded by other animals. Pets Domain fail because there are too many rabbits in the enclosure. She said from the size of it, it would be fine for two, MAYBE three rabbits tops. And no pigs as well.

Unfortunately, she can't do anything about the mislabelled pups. She said that "unfortunately has nothing to do with us. we can't govern that". She also said she just hopes people research the breed and realise they are NOT what the pet store says. She was pretty ok for an RSPCA staff member actually. She said "the sooner we stop pets BEING in pet stores, the better. I can't stand it."

I hope they get their ass kicked  mad.gif

Hey, I did not buy one of the pups and wouldn't, but does anyone know where I can complain about misrepresentation of breed? The average person probably wouldn't know what an Aussie was, and may buy one, thinking they have this lovely unusual breed.

#22 *Ker*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Oh and yeah, it's PetBarn with the rescue animals. One of my friends who runs a dog rescue actually has a deal with Petbarn to buy all their close to date dog food and stock at hugely reduced prices. Last time she went she bought the BIG bags of advance for $34!!!

#23 *Ker*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hmm, what about the ACCC?

#24 countrychic29

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

OP, try calling the local council.
I did this once when i saw a 16 week old Lab x!!!in a singular cage....spoke to the sales girls said how old is he and the cage is too small.
Went back the next day still the same ... called the council ... shock horror they actually went out told them it was unacceptable needed to be sorted that day and the council even called me back to say good pick up ... we will follow up and will fine them if not changed.
I went back that weekend and the pup was gone ... im hoping they just didnt dump him at a shelter because he was getting too big to sell sad.gif

#25 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Try the office of fair trading even - the product differs from the description given...I really don't see how this situation is any different from say a sandwhich maker being labled a toaster - yes it makes toast, but it doesn't come out the same or do the job in the same way.

Yes it's a dog, but not the breed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.