Everyday salad ideas

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lucygoosey1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

My DH is always complaining my salad is boring (I.e lettuce, tomato, cucumber etc).  What is your best salad recipe, dressing or easy side salad?

#2 Missmarymack

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Potato salad is an easy one with a yoghurt based dressing - although not the best alternative to a green salad.

What about a roasted veg salad? or a Waldorf salad?

Or ask your DH to make one wink.gif

#3 Lucygoosey1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

His preferred option is Veges,  so that's what he'll make.  I'm trying to sway him...

#4 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

DH is easily bamboozled by what he perceives as choice. I fill one salad bowl with mixed lettuce leaves, shallots, avocado and toasted pine nuts. I fill a smaller bowl with sliced tomatoes tossed with basil, olive oil and bocconcini. It's basically the same salad, but because it's in two bowls he thinks I've gone to a lot of extra trouble. wink.gif

#5 madmax1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Im the same I find my own salads boring.

I add feta cheese, chick peas, spring onion or red onion, sometimes bacon . It still ends up being boring.

#6 Avidlearner1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Roast some pumpkin. Adding it to spinach leaves, cucumber, avocado, onion and pinenuts - yum.

Chickpeas or sprout mix.

Beetroot and bocconcini added through a normal salad.

#7 JaneLane

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Being a vegetarian I eat lots of salads, often as my main meal, some of my favs I make are:

-Mixed salad leaves, avocado, green beans or sugar snap peas  and toasted pine nuts

- Baby spinach, grilled pumpkin or sweet potato, grilled haloumi and chick peas.  You can also add quinoa or cous cous which makes it more of a meal.

- Roast beetroot and roast baby carrots, stir fried green beans or similar.

- Greek salad with lettuce, tomato, onion, fetta and olives.

- Capsicum, snow peas, chickpeas and dill.

- Baby rocket, thin slices of apple or pear and fresh Parmesan with a vinegrette dressing.

- Rocket, pear or apple, roast beetroot, goats cheese.

#8 Leggy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Roast pumpkin cut into large cubes, red onion, whole garlic cloves, oil and rosemary in the same pan (about 1/2 hr at 160C, fan forced oven). Fry some sliced mushrooms and mix into roasted pumpkin mix. Serve warm or cold, with or without greens mixed in at the last minute.

Beetroot (Boil whole for about 10min first to speed things up) cut into small cubes and mixed with rosemary, whole garlic cloves, oil and balsamic vinegar. Cover tightly with alfoil and roast in oven for an hour or so, till softish (experiment to get your preferred level of crunch). When slightly cooled add salad leaves and diced or crumbled feta. Also nice cold.

These 2 are my favourite make-a-heap-on-the-weekend salads to be served up at various times during the week. The next is a Persian entree/snack/it's too damn hot to cook dish, best done with herbs from your own garden because then you can be extravagant. Vary the herbs depending on what you have or like.

Bunch of mint
Bunch of parsley
Bunch of coriander
Bunch of tarragon, basil, etc etc, you can really get away with just 2 or 3 kinds of herbs
Feta cheese
almonds, walnuts or other
sliced radishes (optional)
flatbread (optional)

Soak the nuts in hot water for 1/2 - 1hr, or in cold water all day. Wash and pick the leaves from the herbs. Cube the feta. Slice the radishes. Drain the nuts. Mix all together in a big bowl, or arrange in piles on a platter for people to self-assemble. Take handfuls and eat as it is, or wrap it in a little flatbread.

#9 Zesty

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Grated diakon radish and carrot with a rice wine dressing.

Quinoa with parsley, mint, cucumber, preserved lemon and spring onions.

Grated fresh beetroot and carrot with chopped parsley, corriander, spring onion and avocado.

Chopped green herb salad (coriander, mint, parsley) with pomegranate and sliced avocado, cucumber and red onion.

Finely sliced fennel with red onion, mixed salad leaves and cubes of nectarine.

Roasted vegetable and couscous salad with tomato juice and balsamic vinegar dressing.

#10 3men

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

My everyday salad is -
lettuce leaves, cherry tomatoes (halved and I use all different types - roma, kumato, grape, orange, yellow etc for colour), fresh steamed asparagus, avacado, mango cubes or grapes, mung beans, bean sprouts, feta, nuts (pine, cashews, macadamias).  Sometimes I sprinkle diced bacon over the top and I've even added vegetable pasta.
Extras can include capsicum, sun dried tomatoes, corn - basically anything you like.  I never add cucumber because I don't like it but that's just my choice.

It makes a great side for anything - chicken, steak, fish, rissoles/burgers.

#11 lynneyours

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I don't "cook" but my favourite salads to make are:

1. greek salad - cumcumber, tomato, feta - all cubed to roughly the size of the olives. Red onion chopped  long and thin. Sometimes I add lettuce or spinach leaves or semi-dried tomatoes.

2. potato salad - potato/sweet potato/pumpkin (any combo), lightly toasted pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes in oil, avocado, basil.  Dressing of mango chutney stirred into natural yoghurt (start with 50/50 and add more of whichever to your own tastes)

3. tinned chickpeas rinsed and drained, chopped up herbs: loads of basil, mint, parsley and coriander. Chopped tomato.  Juice of 2 lemons. yummo.

4. boring old salad - lettuce, cucumber, tomato etc.  Plus boiled eggs, beetroot, cheese - feta and/or cheddar etc in separate dishes so you can "build-your-own" salad to taste.

5. coleslaw - green and purple cabbage, carrot, spring onion.  Sometimes creamy sauce like mayo, sometimes more of an asian coleslaw with vinegar and grainy mustard and brown sugar.

6. noddle salad that is on the back of the Changs noodle packet, I make it to their instructions, with only half the oil they say.

#12 Leggy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

ooh ooh miso cucumber! Chop cucumbers into bite size pieces. Mix a table spoon of miso paste, 1/2 tablespoon amount of rice vinegar, some sesame seeds and enough hot water to turn it into a thick but runny mix. Add a little sugar if you want. Mix with the cucumbers at the last minute, otherwise it sucks all the water out of them.

BTW: Any beetroot-based salad will give you pink pee within a few hours and deep purple poo over the next day or two. Just so you don't freak out biggrin.gif

#13 Lucygoosey1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Wow amazing ideas!  I am definitely going to make a different one each day next week!

#14 sunflowers81

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

My fave salad is to mix the following together in a salad bowl:
1 Tin Lentils
1 Tin Chopped Beetroot
Couple handfuls of spinach leaves (or other green leaves!)
Couple of chopped Tomatoes and/or red peppers(capsicum)
Quarter of a pack of Feta, chopped

Enjoy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.