Have you had a blood transfusion?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 surprizzzed

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

My friend is in hospital and a transfusion has been recommended. We're after information, pro's and con's, alternatives, risks etc

#2 .Jerry.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I had a complete blood exchange at birth, but that's no help for the information you need! laughing2.gif

My daughter had a blood transfusion after being born prematurely.  She was struggling to gain weight and was very weak.  The BT helped give her strength and she did much better afterwards.

I assume it all depends on why the blood transfusion is recommended...

#3 EmAyEm

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

I did after the birth of my first baby due to a large amount of blood loss. I can't say i researched the risks or anything, but it was a simple procedure and did what it was meant to do, no problems at all.

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have had several, what is it that you want to know OP?
We have extremely well regulated and safe Blood Banks in Australia which means there is very little to worry about.
There is actually no alternative that works as well for severe anaemia.

#5 whydoibother

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

they don't just say "oh lets just give her a blood transfusion" it is a serious matter and only recommended if needed.  Like STBG said it is highly regulated here.
I had an iron infusion for severe anaemia but my levels were just a tad high for a transfusion and I was close to delivery anyway

#6 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (surprizzzed @ 06/12/2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend is in hospital and a transfusion has been recommended. We're after information, pro's and con's, alternatives, risks etc

Maybe your friend should make a decision based on the advice of her medically trained caregivers who are familiar with get medical situation.

Rather than ask a bunch of random lay people who don't know a thing about your friend.

#7 Feral Becky

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (MsN @ 06/12/2012, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe your friend should make a decision based on the advice of her medically trained caregivers who are familiar with get medical situation.

Rather than ask a bunch of random lay people who don't know a thing about your friend.

Blunt, but I agree with this.

#8 whale-woman

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (IAmCal @ 06/12/2012, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they don't just say "oh lets just give her a blood transfusion" it is a serious matter and only recommended if needed.  Like STBG said it is highly regulated here.

You have to VERY VERY anaemic to be offered a transfusion. She'll feel so much better after it.

#9 Superman+4sisters

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I had a blood transfusion after a severe PPH. I was literally glued to the bed, I couldn't even sit up. After the transfusion I was able to get and head home to care for myself and my family. Absolutely the right decision for me.

Hope all goes well for your friend

#10 hiddensecrets

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (MsN @ 06/12/2012, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree but to answer your question:

Pro's-
If the friend is in need of blood (like it sounds like they are otherwise it would not have been recommended) due to anemia this is the quickest way and easiest.

Blood is well screened in australia, risks are minimal and the transfusion will be well observed.

Cons-
Not being able to donate yourself for 12 months

I had to have on after a hysterectomy when my blood levels dropped way too low.  Three bags and I was much better than I had been in a while.  I am glad that I had it done (although I pretty much had no choice) as I was pretty much unconscious before hand.  Tell your friend to listen CAREFULLY to the medical advice given and make the decision accordingly.

#11 cbmum

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I think if you need it, you need it. I know people who've had multiple blood transfusions and have picked up random antibodies. This is not life threatening but can be a problem if you need more blood as you have to match these also.

I always thought, if I needed one, I'd use my husbands blood. If it is an emergency though, get the blood.

#12 Wigglemama

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (MsN @ 06/12/2012, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. Without a doubt, sensible advice. Why on earth your friend would consult the interwebz vs. listening to the trained medical officers, telling them that they NEED a blood transfusion, is beyond me.

Please tell your friend to listen to their doctor, and I don't mean Dr Google. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Wigglemama, 06 December 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#13 katpaws

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I had many during a medical emergency when my daughter was born and after surgery still needed more. The later ones i agreed to because it increased my chance of being able to produce breastmilk.

#14 Feral Cancerian

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I agree with this, but for what it's worth I had three units after the last birth, and felt absolutely terrific for 2 weeks afterwards. Whoever donated those three units must have been young and in great shape!

#15 surprizzzed

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I didn't ask 'should my friend have a blood transfusion' lol. We were just looking for people's experiences, I was actually thinking that people might comment about what the procedure involved and what alternative treatments were offered to them and how they came to a decision to go ahead with the transfusion, because ultimately the patient has to agree to the treatment. And in my friend's case even though initially they came in and said 'you're having a blood transfusion' she asked for more information and for alternative treatment options and is now having an altenative treatment with the agreement of her doctor.

I don't think it hurts to do a little googling before discussing with your doctor. My GP often recommends that i do a bit of research. Some of the information on the net is rubbish but not all.

#16 mummame

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

I havent but my DD had to have one when she had major surgery. I was a bit worried about it but I have no idea why, she needed it to keep her alive and I am so thankful for the person who donated the blood to save my DD.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.