Best hair dye for grey hair?
Natural hair colour dark

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

WAAAAAAAAHHHH I've found my first grey hair sad.gif (it was actually white).

It has taken me 4 years to grow out the last hair dye job that I had (bleached it lighter at the hair dresser and then dyed it with a home packet of colour which wasn't my actual hair colour).

My hair does not handle colour well as it is very thick, dry and coarse, so dying it usually dries it out. My hair is so lovely at the moment because it's all "virgin" hair. But because my hair is dark I'm not quite ready to let it go grey.

So anyone got any recommendations for hair dye suitable for dark hair that will cover greys? sad.gif

#2 protart roflcoptor

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Only 1? I wouldn't be too worried yet.

#3 Maple Leaf

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

How much grey do you have? For the odd strand here and there, I would use a LUSH Henna.

I just love it and until I get more grey, I'm only going to be using that. It really  makes my hair feel wonderful as well.

Conventional harsh dyes I want to stay clear of for as long as possible. They have brown, black or red tinged hennas.

http://www.lushusa.com/Caca-Brun-Mama/00675,en_US,pd.html

#4 lylac

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I wouldn't worry with only 1. If you can see it all the time use your mascara lol. I have lots and lots of greys, and I prefer Clairol Nice N' Easy.

#5 Tooties

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Maple Leaf @ 06/12/2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much grey do you have? For the odd strand here and there, I would use a LUSH Henna.

I just love it and until I get more grey, I'm only going to be using that. It really  makes my hair feel wonderful as well.

Conventional harsh dyes I want to stay clear of for as long as possible. They have brown, black or red tinged hennas.

http://www.lushusa.com/Caca-Brun-Mama/00675,en_US,pd.html

I've just discovered LUSH Henna as well after years of using conventional dyes.  Its the best dye job I've ever done, my hair feels lovely and the colour is great.  Takes a bit longer than usual but the results are worth it.  Any greys you have will be covered and probably add a bit of extra highlighting to the final result.

#6 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

WAAAAAAH I've just found another grey hair!!!!

#7 Starrydawn

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have a million greys. I was dying it dark and reds. But have now changed to dark blondes to give it a caramel look and it blends the greys in more.

#8 Frau Farbissina

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I have about 15 on the go. I just snip them atm! Snip them close to the scalp and you don't have to worry about them for a few months. My hair is naturally very dark brown and they stand out like beacons in the night.

#9 ~chiquita~

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2. I've got at least 20 of them now and sure they're noticeable but I'm not overly worried yet. Plus I love the colour of my hair and don't want to dye it.

I might get me some of that.

Edited by ~chiquita~, 06 December 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#10 Chaos in stereo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#11 Ellen D

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

IMO you're better off getting lighter coloured foils to camouflage the greys, especially as you get older.

#12 Freddie'sMum

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi OP

I started going grey in my early 20s !!  It's genetic - all my siblings are grey too.

I am (to quote the hairdresser) "mousy brown with no tone" (that cheered me up no end - NOT).

Anyhoo, I have been dyeing my hair at home - with darker colours - eg chestnut brown / chocolate brown - but all I am doing is calling attention to my white / greys when they come thru again.

So, now I am going a shade or two lighter than "mousy brown".

It looks good.  I just grab a semi-permanent hair colour at the chemist or s/market when I am in there.

Good luck.

#13 aidensmum

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I wouldn't worry about one. Just pull it out. I found my first grey hair at 13 but I was about 32 when I needed to get perm colour to cover serious grey hairs. I do a my own mix at home of activator, base and reflect colour and paint it on. I get a white hair in my eyebrow sometimes. The joys of dark hair.

#14 The Old Bag

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

The colour mousses are easy to use. I like the Loreal one.

Like Freddies Mum, I go a shade or two lighter than my natural colour.  It just takes the edge off the greys and turns them into highlights, without affecting the rest of my hair.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.