After school next year

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mards

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Alright - just thought i would ask..

Next year i will be working until 4pm - we clock off on the dot - and i will be home at 4.25pm - 4.30 at the very latest!!  - MAX 3 days a week!!

My kids will be 7 and 9 - they do currently catch the bus home - and it gets to the stop at 4.06pm and they walk about 100m to the house - now currently i am in the position to collect them from the stop and walk them home..

Just throwing it out there - (i am really UNSURE myself)!

But - would you let your 2 kids be alone for 25 minutes max in the afternoons? - they could let themselves in through the back gate and put the key in the back door...

Anyway - i am erring on NO!! - but i thought i would put it out there!!!

We have neighbours that also catch the same bus and walk home too they are a year older....

Anyway let me know what you think?? - It just would save me in after school care!!

#2 Broxie

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

My sister and I did that at that age. In a small community in the country. For the most part we were fine, though I did once use the time to permanently colour my hair pink at age 8.
I think I'd lean toward no myself, but it would very much depend on the kids.

#3 Lyn29

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

It really, *really* depends on your kids - so only you can answer this properly.

I teach 7-10 year olds and there are some who I could leave teacherless at school all day without concern, others can't even be trusted for the time it takes them to go to the toilet. Most are somewhere in between.

Where do your children fit?

#4 CleverChook

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

After school care for me.  I'm a teacher who officially finishes before my kids, but it's the getting caught up and the what ifs.  It sucks to have to use after school care for such a short time and still pay the same rate.  But I prefer that than having my kids unsupervised.

Oh, ETA my kids are 7 and 9 too.

Edited by CleverChook, 06 December 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#5 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

There is no way you are going to get a positive answer to this question on EB, there are people on here who won't even let teenage children be home alone.

I guess you need to weigh up the options, are there alternatives, eg neighbours. What it comes down to really is do you think your children can do this and safely be home alone for 15 minutes. Only you know the answer to this one.

#6 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

NO!

I don't even leave my 11yo and 9yo at home alone for 5 minutes.

Too many things could go wrong, not willing to take the risk.

#7 mards

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Have just been for a walk with both my neighbours who have said on Those days they will pick them up at the stop and have them at their house for the 20 minutes or so!! GOD BLESS neighbours...

#8 jayskette

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

of course yes!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.