Any microsoft word whizzes able to help?
Need help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Usually its me answering these questions, word processing is what I do!

But anyway. Ive been working on a massive report at work. Its a couple of hundred pages and within it is a glossary of defined terms. The author of the document decided that wanted each reference to one of these terms throughout the document cross referenced to a bookmark so it would take you to the defined term upon clicking. All good, this is fine and I got that sorted. There are literally thousands of them as I put them all in.

This report has been finalised, sent to client, all is fine. But its become a pretty handy document for cutting and pasting sections of it into various client communications for reference. This is all well and good except when we copy and paste, it of course comes up with the error message where these cross references should be because the bookmarks arent coming across too. Usually to get around this I would just copy and paste as text only into the new document, but in this situation its not possible because the document also contains hundreds of foot notes, so the copying as text only means we lose the footnotes.

Does anyone know a quick easy way to convert all of these cross references within the document to text only, so we can copy and paste it across, preserve the footnotes, but not have the issue of the cross reference errors upon pasting it into the new document?

Thanks heaps! I am working in word 2010.

#2 niggles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Did you use hyperlinks to cross reference to the glossary?

If so your answer is:

control A to select the text
control shift f9 to remove multiple hyperlinks.

Hope that helps.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

No in this document they requested to be inserted as a cross reference to bookmarked text in the glossary section, rather than as you would normally insert a hyperlink (dont get me started on this, I told them it was a stupid way to go about it, but who can argue with an old school lawyer set in his ways!)

ctrl shift f9 definitely did nothing.

Thanks anyway original.gif

Edited by lozoodle, 06 December 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#4 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hmmmm its working when I try to do it on the home PC, just not the work one.

I wonder if our global IT department have disabled some shortcuts.

Do you know the long way to do the command, via the ribbon or even right clicking?

This is going to bug me lol.

#5 niggles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hyperlinks are the only way I know how to do what you describe so you've lost me now sorry. Good luck finding an answer.

#6 mandala

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Did you select all and then press ctrl-shift-F9? I know it's obvious but I just forgot to do it when I set up a test document!

Are the cross references done as Term (see Term on page 4) where Term is the item in the glossary and therefore the bookmark, and 'on page 4' was inserted as a cross-reference to a bookmark with 'include above/below' selected?

If so, then you'd also want to remove the references in the (), yes? Then you'd want to set up a regex in the Find and Replace, but you would probably want to check the items you're removing line by line.

ETA: Thinking more... I'm not sure you can use wildcards and search for  parentheses... more research required.

Edited by KRT, 06 December 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Nope they arent set up like that, they are literally just links to the bookmarked word (i.e defined term).

Eg in a paragraph such as:

"Lauren loves apples, but hates strawberries" the words "apples" and "strawberries" are the defined terms, so just those words alone are the cross reference field, which when clicked takes you to the full definition in the glossary section.

Its annoying me more now because its works perfectly when I do it in a dummy doc at home, but for some reason its not working at work. We have only recently rolled out the 2010 software and are having a few glitches with some things not working though, so I suspsect it may be something on that side.

Its not a super urgent request, more a "when you have some down time can you see if you can get this done in a copy of the report" type thing, so Ill do some more playing around with it tomorrow and see how it goes. Worst case scenario I may just email the doc home, remove all the links on my home PC where the commnand seems to work, then send it back to work and save that copy there.

We will be copying and pasting sections from this doc for a while yet as this class action wont be ending anytime soon, so we just really want to get a base doc with ease of copy and paste for future as and when sections are needed to be inserted into smaller advices.

Its driving me crazy because I hate it when I cant figure something out! grrrr.

#8 Etta

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Can you copy the text into something like Notepad - would this strip out the bits you don't want?

#9 mandala

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Oh, that makes it easier - except that it doesn't work! How annoying! There must be an explanation.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Etta @ 06/12/2012, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you copy the text into something like Notepad - would this strip out the bits you don't want?

This is essentially what doing a paste special and then pasting as unformatted text does (which is what i would usually do in this scenario anyway as it would then be able to adopt the styles contained in the doc it is going into quite easily) however in this case I cant do it because doing that means you dont carry across the footnotes, which is what we need also. So annoying!

QUOTE (KRT @ 06/12/2012, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, that makes it easier - except that it doesn't work! How annoying! There must be an explanation.

I know! So annoying. Admittedly I only had five mins to play around at work today on it, so Im hoping to have more time to play around when I arrive in the office at 7 tomorrow. Its definitely working perfectly when i do it in a dummy doc at home, just not at work so it may well be an issue on our system side of things (a few of our commands have been disabled for some reason why global IT are ironing out a few template issues, its annoying).
So worst case, I will definitely just amend it at home, then save it back onto the system at work minus the links original.gif

Thanks for the tips anyway!

#11 niggles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Then it definitely sounds like IT've disabled the shortcut doesn't it. Good luck getting it to work.

#12 WhenUWishUponAStar

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Try this:  
• Right click in the ribbon.  
• Click Customise the Ribbon.  
• Click on References on the right hand side (or wherever you want this to appear).
• Click on new group, and rename it unlink, highlight it once renamed
• On the left hand side click on commands not in the ribbon (in the pull down menu)
• Go down to Unlink Fields near the bottom, highlight and click add, click ok

You should then have it in References on the ribbon.

Edited by Wishing Dandelion, 06 December 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#13 lozoodle

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE (Wishing Dandelion @ 06/12/2012, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this:  
• Right click in the ribbon.  
• Click Customise the Ribbon.  
• Click on References on the right hand side (or wherever you want this to appear).
• Click on new group, and rename it unlink, highlight it once renamed
• On the left hand side click on commands not in the ribbon (in the pull down menu)
• Go down to Unlink Fields near the bottom, highlight and click add, click ok

You should then have it in References on the ribbon.

Awesome!

But guess what? It still doesn't work! I'm convinced IT have somehow disabled the function.
I'm going to take the doc home to work on and see if I have any luck original.gif

Also tried unlocking the fields in case they were locked, no avail. I've spoken to another WP this morning who is awesome and she's having the same issue, so its been added to the list of glitches we need to take up with IT re the new rollout. Joy!

Edited by lozoodle, 07 December 2012 - 06:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.