Birthday party - picnic food?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Funnington

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

My son is having a whole class party at a park.  There are BBQ facilities but I would need to reserve one really early due to park popularity + time of year.

I've decided on a picnic where we can just throw down a few picnic rugs.  

Can you share your picnic ideas suitable for a kids birthday party?  It will be at lunch time - no dietary requirements or food allergies that I know of.  I want to keep it health-ish.  My idea was something for lunch with a few snacky type things and of course a couple of sweet treats to have after lunch.

I've browsed my own cookbooks and recipe sites but, I would love suggestions from people who have actually made this type of fare for children.  

I could (maybe) re-heat before I leave but ideally it would be cold food.  Transporting the food's not an issue, I have a wagon and the trip to the park is only about 5 - 8 minutes.

I've thought about platters, I've thought about giving each child their own cake box that includes lunch (hope that makes sense).

There are 18 children invited.

Thank you.

Edited by Funnington, 06 December 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#2 codswallop

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Funnington, I did the boxed party food approach for DS's birthday this year and it was so easy and a bit of a novelty, so I would really recommend doing it that way.

Ideas to include might be:

sandwiches - could be "special" e.g. ribbon sandwiches
mini quiche
juice carton
small packet of cheese and biscuits
small packet of chips or other savoury snack
carrot sticks and dip
muffin
bunch of grapes
a few lollies
honey joys
cupcakes baked in little square bottom icecream cones

The downside I did observe was lots of food swapping and some wastage.

#3 Funnington

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thank you, I'm glad you knew what I meant!  I actually didn't think of putting all their party food in a little box - fabulous idea, so easy to transport.  I did think about wasteage and maybe the expectations of junk food so I'm prepared for that.  

I did think of nice ribbon sandwiches - I also thought of little dinner rolls filled with nice things.

#4 codswallop

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Actually the dinner rolls is a good suggestion because they are more stable i.e. won't fall apart as easily.

If you're not averse to giving children cocktail frankfurts, the small ones do fit nicely into the mini bake yourself dinner rolls from the supermarkets.

#5 Funnington

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you're not averse to giving children cocktail frankfurts, the small  ones do fit nicely into the mini bake yourself dinner rolls from the  supermarkets.

Haha, never - I did think of that.  I was copying the idea from Baker's Delight - the 'savoury bites' that are a whopping $2.70 each oomg2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.