Do you let your kids pee outside?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 3mummy3

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Something i saw yesterday got me wondering! I pulled into a carpark at local shopping centre and parked next to me there was a car with a mum and three kids (one small baby, one small toddler and a boy about 3-4). They were sitting in the car eating hungry jacks. Anyway i was getting my pram out then went to get ds out when the little boy gets out of his car, drops his dacks and takes a pee on the front wheel of his car! Mum was still sitting in the car eating her burger and i just gave her a smile and said  'when you gotta go you gotta go'!

So i guess i can kind of see her reasoning letting the kid pee there, didnt want to drag all the kids out to go to the toilet but i honestly dont think it is something i would allow my child to do and think its a little bit gross! There was a toilet just inside the door of the shopping centre which wasnt far from where they were parked and they were actually going into the shopping centre because when i went back to my car half hour later their car was still parked there empty now.

My almost 3 yo nephew is also allowed to pee outside in their back yard. He came to my place for a swim the other week and my sister let him pee in my yard too. At the moment our landscaping hasnt been done so it didnt really bother me but when we put the artificial grass in i certainly dont want anyone peeing on it!!!

So yeah ok or not to pee outside?

#2 **Xena**

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I have let my kids pee outside before but only when they are busting and there's no toilet close by.

#3 Phascogale

Having 3 girls, the only time they pee outside is if we are out bushwalking and there is no toilet around (and even if there is, it's probably a drop toilet).

I do think it's quite gross for a child (or anyone) to urinate in a carpark.  And despite having two other kids it polite thing for the mother to have done is to take the kids to the toilet.  In an open area with not many people around it's probably more acceptable.  Although I wouldn't be impressed if I saw this at a park against the nearest tree or next to the play equipment - especially if there are lots of other kids around.  I'd rather not

When you are home I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anyone to pee in the backyard.  It's probably more of an issue if you have a very small backyard but if you have a large one there is more space to spread it around.  And there will be times when the toilets will be in use and the child desperately has to go (more likely in larger families or when you have visitors - but what will the visitors think?)

#4 ChunkyChook

OMG! No! Maybe when they are little and toilet training in the backyard. But in public, in a carpark, on a car wheel.......WTF?!

#5 Mummytoyou

This has been done a lot, for me yes I have let ds pee outside but only if there isn't another option and by that I mean an easy, closeby option.  I've had times when I've been out with a newborn baby, plus 2 toddlers and my  then 4 yr old needed to pee, if the toilet was across a road, inside a shopping centre, on the 3rd level and we were in a park then we'd pick a tree rather than drag everyone across to the shopping centre.

If there is a toilet a few metres away just inside a door then we'd use the toilet.
At home the kids can do what they like, sometimes if ds is outside playing he will just go out there, most times he comes inside.

#6 JustMum08

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

I generally don't. But I have before.
At the park. All toilets closed because it was like 5 pm and he needed to go. Was my only choice.
And just the other day. He was busting and someone was in the bathroom so he went out the front.

Though there has been a few times when he has gone out the back without my knowledge! So not much I can do there I suppose. I just tell him he should be using the toilet in the bathroom and not going outside!

He is 4 original.gif

What I did see just recently at the shopping centre. Guy at the taxi stand with a boy and girl. She would've been about 6-7. And she needed to go to the toilet. He put her up near the bushy area and let her pee there. When there was toilets a few meters away inside! That was a little weird.

#7 DamiansMama

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

My parents allowed my DS and nephew to pee in their backyard, but when my DS pulled down his pants in the doorway of a major shopping centre and started peeing (thinking it was ok) - I put my foot down.

I have always disliked this, there is a place to go to toilet, and it is not outside in the carpark. Granted there are times when they really do have to go, but I would make the effort to duck into the shopping centre (or Hungry Jacks in this case) if possible.

#8 solongsuckers

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

In public like that no. At home or somewhere less public then I don't have an issue, usually only if it is on grass though.

#9 Carmen02

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

no i dont like it one bit, I have encouraged DS to pee on a tree when his been busting to go and there wasnt a toilet near by but he just couldnt do it lol I dont like it but when there isnt a toilet near by I dont mind it to much. But i dont allow peeing in the back yard

#10 Ianthe

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Not as a rule but there have been occasions when they have done so as young toilet training kids.

#11 Grobanite

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes at home (3rd tree to the left) or on the side of the road near a tree if no toilet near by and they are busting.
No, not in public when a toilet is nearby.

My almost 3 yo nephew is also allowed to pee outside in their back yard. He came to my place for a swim the other week and my sister let him pee in my yard too

This makes sense to me as he would have had to enter your house all wet.

I do however understand how difficult it would be for the mother mention in the OP to get everyone out the car while they were eating to get the child to the toilet. But if it was me I would have taken him inside.

#12 Livsh

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

My kids love peeing outside at home...they 'water' the lemon tree. Yeah I think it's a bit gross AND I shudder when anyone walks past because I think it makes us look feral, but meh, who cares!!??

As for peeing in a public car park, well that is probably taking it a little bit far. But you know, your 3 year old says they want to go, you have food, other kids to deal with...thinking of the hassle of getting them all out, car locked, food stowed just to get in to the loo....well I probably would have done the same....but as I said before, I let my kids pee regularly on the lemon tree in the front yard so my bogan-rating is fairly high anyway!

Actually I'm admiring your restraint on not being judgy about the consumption of hungry jacks! Everyone knows that the only balanced food a 3 year old should be eating is a happy meal!

#13 tothebeach

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

The  only time that I allow it is when we are in the pool area - then, I don't want to get everyone out of the pool so that I can get DS2 to the toilet.  Plus, he will be wet and dripping through the house.  So he wees on a specific
bush.  I figure better that than he doesn't tell me and just wees in the pool.

ETA: And when we remote bush camp or hike.  Then bush wees are perfectly acceptable.

Edited by tothebeach, 07 December 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#14 EsmeLennox

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I encourage my boys to pee on our lime tree... But outside of their backyard only in an absolute emergency, ie no toilet that can be reached in a reasonable time without wet pants.

#15 Bam1

I would say yes in emergancies but to do so would mean taking their shoes off (at least with my girls) and we all know kids without shoes means the end of civilisation as we know it (or some sort of social banishment in a very strange SA town)

Edited by Bam1, 07 December 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#16 BadCat

Not in the backyard when they can just come inside to the toilet.

In a car park I would have no problem with it if the toilet was too far away for the little one to wait.  Better to pee on a tree or a wheel than pee you pants in the car.  I would always try to keep it in an out of the way place where people aren't likely to walk through it though.

Edited by BadCat, 07 December 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#17 brangisnotaword

I've done it with my kids before, when the alternative is wet dacks.

#18 kadoodle

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

By the time they'd found a loo, the kid would probably have wet himself anyway.

I prefer my kids to pee in the toilet.  Sometimes there's a full little bladder, no loo within cooee and needs must though.

#19 Livsh

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 07/12/2012, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, never. I think what that mother did was irresponsible and disgusting.

Irresponsible and disgusting? Is that not just a teensy bit OTT...we are talking about a 3 year olds wee here and it is in a car park. Personally I have seen very few people eating food off a carpark tarmac, and again, it's just a 3 year old peeing!

EB has made me realise I am dirty and feral, between letting my children run around with no shoes on outside and allowing them to pee on the lemon tree, I might just go and ring DOCs on myself, clearly I am not a fit mother.

#20 Maple Leaf

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

The only time I allowed this was when we were camping. And were far away from the toilet.

Other than that, never.

#21 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Yes, I have allowed DS to pee outside......side of the road where we are a long way from anywhere.....behind trees etc.....I wouldn't tell him to pee on the ground in a playground where people are likely to walk.....I tell him to go off to the shrubs or something. he pees in our our yard on our lemon tree.....

Yes people think its gross.......meh, it's just urine. Dogs do it. Pooing.....now that's a whole different issue....I don't allow him to poo anywhere but in a toilet...and it annoys me to no end when people don't pick up after their dogs.....

This topic always gets quite heated!

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 07 December 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#22 brangisnotaword

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Now I'm going to do it, just for kicks.

#23 ubermum

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Only in an extreme emergency. If the choice is wet pants or peeing on the ground, I let them pee on the ground. One of my children gets extremely upset if they wet their pants and it is very hard to console them.

As for the gross factor, it's mostly water. I try to avoid them peeing somewhere that someone would touch, sit on it. Rain and UV will take care of any germs. It's not like I would let them poo anywhere, but a pee really isn't a big deal. Oh and Tamm, my kids get out of the pool to pee, every time.

#24 Livsh

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 07/12/2012, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will say, this one comes from my parents!!!

We had a hotel growing up, we lived there.

My parents would go nuts at teh number of men who couldn't be bothered walking to the toilets and would just step outside the bar to a dark spot and pee mad.gif

The entire side area where teh path was to the toilets, stank and during busy times after big events, would stink. It totally infuriated my parents and there was NO need for it. The toilets were easy distance and often some bloke would pee only a few metres of the loo!

It starts in childhood and it one of the things that parents, must teach our children.

it's to do with respect for our fellow community and citizens.

I absolutely detest being somewhere and there's some bloke with his d*ck hanging out taking a pee under a tree  mad.gif  Revolting +++

Tamm

I don't know that letting a 3 year old pee outside is going to turn them into dirty blokes peeing on a tree! My parents let me pee outside, especially on hikes and (this is a shocker) I actually DON'T just drop my dacks in the middle of the road a wee whenever I get the urge!

Also, there seems to be a lot of hysteria about bodily fluids on here. Urine is not toxic. There is potential for bacteria to be contained in urine from urethra contamination but, of all the things to be concerned about in the world a bit of pee is not one of them.

Human urine consists of greater than 95% water, with the remaining constituents, in order of decreasing concentration urea 9.3 g/L, chloride 1.87 g/L, sodium 1.17 g/L, potassium 0.750 g/L, creatinine 0.670 g/L and other dissolved ions, inorganic and organic compounds. It's the original energy drink!

Letting your kid pee in a carpark is a little odd, but it's truly not the end of the world!

#25 Mummytoyou

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 07/12/2012, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absolutely detest being somewhere and there's some bloke with his d*ck hanging out taking a pee under a tree  mad.gif  Revolting +++

Tamm

Agree but a grown man isn't a 3 yr old and I also don't think that letting a 3 yr old means they will turn into a tree peeing man.  There is an age where you start to say to the child, no your too big now and that's not okay, you need to go to the toilet.  Same with nose picking, butt scratching etc - as the kids age we pull them up and let them know it's not socially acceptable.

eta - as they age they can hang on a bit, ds is 3 and when he says he needs to pee, he means he is just about peeing right now so making a huge treck to a loo is going to end up with pee on the ground anyway.

Edited by Mummyone1, 07 December 2012 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.