Pregnant with a Mirena in. Is it really possible?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Juliette3

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Does this really happen? If it does, is the foetus viable? What happens with the Mirena? Any experiences? Thanks!

#2 whydoibother

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

It happened twice to my mums friend back with the copper IUD and her kids are adults now original.gif

It can sometimes also fall out unnoticed

#3 Maple Leaf

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yes I think it happens. If you google IUD Mirena lawsuits.

My mom back in the 70's was a part of this class action:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalkon_Shield

She was paid $10k and miscarried a baby boy.

#4 Bel Rowley

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

It had better not happen to me!

#5 Gegemite

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Would have been possible for me as my Mirena had perforated my uterus and I didn't know. I was basically having  unprotected sex for about a year without knowing  ohmy.gif  Got very lucky other were no surprises.
I had the mirena removed surgically once it was found.

#6 JEZ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Yes. A friend of mine conceived her 4th with the mirena in.

#7 Therese

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

I have heard of it happening too. Thankfully it didn't happen to me.

#8 Unatheowl

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

unsure.gif  lord..no

#9 lactasticmama

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Bel Rowley @ 07/12/2012, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eeek or me!

I've only had mine in for 5 weeks OP, so haven't really had much experience. But it's gong great, had no problems at all, thankfully.

#10 binchen

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Son of my cousin is now 4 years old.

#11 *Finn*

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

God I still freak out after a year and a half this could happen to me too.

#12 i-candi

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Oh gosh no way !!!!! lol. OK I know the only way to prevent a pregnancy is not having sex!

I've had mine in now for 6 years  cool.gif  - Yep 6 years. I haven't got around to getting it replaced so for now I am on the pill and have the Mirena (dr said this is ok). I haven't had a period for 6 years so I'm happy!

Ok I promise on this lot of school holidays I'll get it replaced..... I love my Mirena original.gif

#13 Juliette3

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

OK - so it seems it does happen, but I still can't fathom how with an IUD in your uterus a baby can grow to term without effect. Do they take it out? Is it only possible if the IUD is not placed correctly or has somehow 'fallen out' prior to conception? Thanks everyone for your replies  smile1.gif

#14 Juliette3

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

PS - I love mine too, have had it in for nearly 3 years. No period, no pills, bigger boobs, what's not to love  biggrin.gif But....am wondering about some recent symptoms!

#15 erindiv

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Juliette3 @ 07/12/2012, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK - so it seems it does happen, but I still can't fathom how with an IUD in your uterus a baby can grow to term without effect. Do they take it out? Is it only possible if the IUD is not placed correctly or has somehow 'fallen out' prior to conception? Thanks everyone for your replies  smile1.gif

I think, if it's still in there, it just gets kind of squashed out of the way. Removing it can cause a miscarriage, depending on where it is and so on.

I've known it to happen to a few people but all miscarried.

#16 Excentrique Feral

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

I was convinced I was pregnant when I had mine in as i was getting some weird symptoms, stomach pain, frequent urination, getting up to pee at night, feeling like my stomach was bigger. Turned out to be an ovarian cyst, caused by the mirena evidently. Not allowed mirenas anymore.

No birth control is 100%. Not even abstinence if you look at the virgin mary  wink.gif , but I think with the mirena, most cases of pregnancy would be from the device falling out without the woman noticing, or perforating the uterus. Always check your strings! And if you are getting pain, get it checked!

And if you find yourself pregnant with mirena in the right spot and not expired, then your REALLY unlucky.

Edited by Excentrique, 07 December 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#17 katrina24

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I was told that it is possible but very very unlikely. I was told that it was possible that a pregnancy conceived with a Mirena in could be viable but is much higher risk. I was also told to contact my Dr asap if I believed I was pregnant at any point.

#18 Relish*

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Bel Rowley @ 07/12/2012, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

!! Not reading anymore of this thread, scary stuff!

#19 tinkster23

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

My best friends 2yo is proof that it can and does.  They thought hers had fallen out as they couldn't find it, it surely wasn't working but was still there,meas removed during her c/s

#20 Peridot

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Gosh that Dukan shield stuff was scary to read!!!

#21 ReadySetRace

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yikes....hopefully doesn't happen to me.

I was told 1 in 10000 when it was put in.

Have heard of babies coming out holding it like a trophy!
But most pregnancies probably get miscarried.

#22 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

There have been less than 400 live births out of some 9 million Mirenas. Most people suggest you remove it to avoid risk of sepsis and prem birth. Ectopics account for 50% of all pregnancies. The risk is somewhere between 1:1000 and 1:10,000 (which is actually a bit less than for correctly used oral contraceptive pill).

#23 **Xena**

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

It's how my sister got here biggrin.gif

(I got here due to pill failure and my brother condom failure- very fertile family we are laughing2.gif )

#24 Neriah is Feral

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I had a mirena put in and spotted for a couple of months as is expected. Once the spotting stop there was nothing for a month or two. Then I started getting spotting and some cramping. So I did right thing and completely ignored it for two months until the pain got really bad.  ddoh.gif I started to get moody and nauseas, then the bleeding was heavy for a week, so I finally went to the doctors. Turns out my IUD was no longer in my uterus but embedded into my cervix. There was a a lot of blood and clots all around it. They suspected I may have had an early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy (I never tested, did the head in the sand thing) as I could have possibly gotten pregnant while it was in my cervix but we'll never know for sure. The symptoms could have just been my body reacting to the foreign object.

I had it out, waited a couple of months to heal and then had another one placed. It was much better the second time around, I didn't spot for long. It has been 3 years and it has stayed put! I have regular ultrasounds to make sure of that. I was told by the doctor at Family Planning that the mirena is more effective than traditional IUD's, uses a 10th of the hormones as the mini pill and it is localised, and it is as effective as sterilisation methods - so it is good enough for me and I don't have a lot of other options anyway. I'm still probably and unfortunately years away from having kids and I'm on a lot of contradicted medication so I really hope I don't become pregnant because I doubt there would be a good outcome.

#25 glowlight

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Someone here on eb posted last year that she got pregnant with mirena in. I don't think the pg was viable in her case though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.