Queensland holds out on royal succession legislation

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Hayleymumof3

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

QUEENSLAND is blocking law changes aimed at ensuring a daughter of the House of Windsor can become Queen of Australia ahead of her younger brothers.

The state backs alterations to the royal succession to make it gender free. But it wants to pass its own legislation and not defer to Commonwealth powers.

And it is standing alone against what has to be a unanimous decision. And if the impasse is not sorted out, the unanimity of all Commonwealth member nations needed to change the current laws might not be reached.

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman today was the hold-out leader at the Council of Australian Governments meeting in Canberra.

"I don't think there are any issues about the changes being contemplated,'' Mr Newman said.

Without the change, if Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge have a daughter and then a son as a second child, the little princess would fall behind her younger brother in line for the throne.

But he said there were "some different ways we can do it''.
"Queensland has a view that others don't agree with,'' he told reporters.

What is wrong with this man?  Why is he holding it up.  How many different ways is there to say YES we agree lets get on with it?

#2 ~Nodnol~

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

God he is a moron.

What other way is there to do it? Either the first born is the heir or not.

#3 CupOfCoffee

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (~Nodnol~ @ 07/12/2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God he is a moron.

What other way is there to do it? Either the first born is the heir or not.

From what I understand, he doesn't want to relinquish (or refer) a State issue to the Commonwealth (not necessarily that he doesn't agree with the policy).  That is why he talks about finding another way to do it (I think).

But I am not refuting your first sentence... ph34r.gif

#4 Feral_Pooks

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

God help us.

Queenslanders, please note, he's not helping with your reputation of backwardness one iota.

#5 Feral Borgia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Wtf? How is it going to possibly affect qld doing it the way they want to do it...? First born gets to wear the pretty jewels .....regardless of gender.

Change the law....it's stupid and archaic.

Then ditch the monarchy and become a republic.....

#6 MsNorbury

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Queenslanders, please note, he's not helping with your reputation of backwardness one iota.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him! (Nobody who did is admitting to it).

#7 Feral_Pooks

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (juliettesmum @ 07/12/2012, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him! (Nobody who did is admitting to it).

I've noticed that!

Well apparently an overwhelming majority did...

#8 purplekitty

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

As if it even matters to Australia.

Perhaps he could concentrate his great intellect on the Health System he is destroying.

Oh wait. I apologise. It's the Hospital Boards' problem and fault (appointed by him and constrained by his Budget).

#9 feralangel

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 07/12/2012, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Change the law....it's stupid and archaic.

Then ditch the monarchy and become a republic.....

Cheers, LB.  My sentiments exactly. tthumbs.gif

Edited by natangel, 07 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#10 bakesferalgirls

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I don't understand what his problem is. The firstborn should become the heir, no matter what sex they are.

What a tool. But most of us already knew that.

#11 Feral Nicety

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think my sister and her DH voted for him.

She lost her job in this week's round of cuts.  Yeah.

And the man is a complete embarrassment.

#12 Peanut

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

The man is a strutting peacock and a moron.  I didn't vote for him and I can't wait for the next opportunity to kick him out.  (Plenty of Queenslanders are looking forward to that!).  mad.gif

#13 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

I wonder if that man can spell moron...

#14 BetteBoop

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

He won't agree with nuthin Labor proposes, no matter what it is. He makes his own decisions.

I fully expect Newman to announce that Queensland is ceding from Australia and he will assume the title of Emporer.

Edited by Therese, 07 December 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#15 Feral Borgia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hey how did you get that past the keeper BetteBoop?

#16 bakesferalgirls

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

And that BB, is why you are awesome biggrin.gif You haz the skillz to bypass filters.

Edited by bakesgirls, 07 December 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#17 BetteBoop

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Clearly even EB agrees that strong language is warranted in this case  wink.gif

#18 Feral Borgia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Ha! I like  tthumbs.gif

I got censored the other day for writing something about d*ck Cheney....and that really is his name!

See?

#19 Feral Borgia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Aha,.....thanks...

#20 Therese

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Managing to get around the profanity filter is not allowed. I have done a small bit of editing.

#21 BetteBoop

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Drats.

But I can say bumhole with impunity right?

In which case, Newman is a bumhole. A really hairy one.

#22 handsfull

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Oh FFS!  Get off your soapbox Campbell Newman....

Let the rest of the world get on with it and because you have a hate relationship with the Labour QLD Governor (I actually do to) don't hold it against the real royals....

Get on with it and start paying attention to things that matter!  

#23 Lady Garden

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 07/12/2012, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, how embarrassing for them  wwhistle.gif

#24 kpingitquiet

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Is Queensland, like, yall's Texas or some such? wink.gif A giant swath of stupid with tiny little specks of awesome inside?

#25 BetteBoop

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 07/12/2012, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know, how embarrassing for them  wwhistle.gif

Who do you think you're fooling Cousin Lover?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.