NAPLAN to go online

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JRA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

From 2016 NAPLAN tests will be completed online

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-07/mini...-online/4415808

The bit that really intrigues me is

"It means as well that the fear that the teacher might teach to the test will be completely reduced for all time, because it will be a deeper interrogation of how a child is going in terms of testing."

Mr Garrett says it will simplify coordinating and marking of the tests and believes it will also make the NAPLAN test a more effective tool to assist teachers.

"I think the key thing here is that it will give us a much better assessment of children, both at the lower end and the top end of the band," he said.

"That's really important for teachers because it means that the diagnostic tool element of NAPLAN is greatly enhanced as a result of online testing."

How does making it online give a deeper interrogation of a child? is the test going to be harder? Are they going to do what to make it a better interrogation and a better assessment of a child?

#2 .Jerry.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Haven't got a clue how the test can interrogate better online.  The only thing I can think of is if the test is intuitive, as in it can modify the questions based on earlier responses.

Looking forward to the technical issues and resourcing implications of this one though.  Not.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Beats the crap outta me JRA.  shrug.gif

Unless he has an attack of the 'anything done online is inherenetly better' disease, or there's a lot more to what he said than is being reported here. Nothing they do, however, will stop teachers (being forced to) teaching to this test, especially while the current political agenda surrounds it.

What does concern me is this idea that every child in Australia will be able to complete the test online adequately. As a teacher who teaches in an online school, I can assure the government that there will probably be quite a lot of teaching necessary to get the kids to be able to do the test, especially in the earlier years. We all think, oh kids these days, they are so tech savvy, but often thy need a lot of guidance and assistance, even when you think they don't. I will also be interested to see how they manage the writing test.

ETA - Good thinking Jerry, that is a possibility. However, imagine the money they would have to pour into developing and maintaining a test like that

Edited by Jemstar, 07 December 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#4 désir d'amour

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

It'll certainly be a test of whether a teacher has the skills to teach computer literacy - or the kids have the comprehension to understand.

Given that there are kids in our school who have trouble doing the basic job of logging into their accounts, I can't see this ending well.

#5 désir d'amour

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 07/12/2012, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking forward to the technical issues and resourcing implications of this one though.  Not.

didn't even think of that.

Apart from 2 laptop classes of 25 kids, the only other PCs we have in our school of over 900 is 2 computer labs of 30, and 3-4 in each double classroom.  Given that in our school alone, next year, there will be 100 Grade 3s...

#6 littleboysmum

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

How on earth are year 3 and 5 students going to complete the writing test online?  wacko.gif

The mind boggles.

#7 Sif

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Interrogation - what is it, an anti-terrorist program?

The whole, 'It's on a device, it must be superior.' argument frustrates me to tears!

#8 greatwon2

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Do the teachers perhaps get the written tests in advance and doing it online with new questions each year stop that?

Otherwise i don't know what their on about lol

#9 Belinda18

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Should be interesting to see how slow a website would run with all year 3,5 and 9 students in the country trying to access it at the same time!

#10 .Jerry.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Do the teachers perhaps get the written tests in advance and doing it online with new questions each year stop that?
- The packets are sealed until the afternoon before the test (at the earliest).  We are supposed to maintain tight security on the tests.
Should be interesting to see how slow a website would run with all year 3,5 and 9 students in the country trying to access it at the same time!
- Maybe it will be ClickFrenzy all over again. original.gif

#11 greatwon2

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hey , no knocking click frenzy ...i got cheap lego and hours and hours of entertainment on the facebook and news pages from that Tounge1.gif

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (littleboysmum @ 07/12/2012, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How on earth are year 3 and 5 students going to complete the writing test online?  wacko.gif

The mind boggles.

By typing it in. That is the least of the issues with having NAPLAN online. Most students are actually able to type better than they can write due to the fact they are more engaged with typing than writing. In fact it would make it easier for a few children I know if they could type. Typing alone could improve results for a number of children actually. No doubt it'll make it harder for a few as I do know some who feel the same way about typing as they do writing. Their results wouldn't change however.

QUOTE (greatwon2 @ 07/12/2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Otherwise i don't know what their on about lol

No, you don't get the tests until the morning of the NAPLAN. The leadership team opens them the afternoon before but administrating teachers don't see it until the students do.

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 07/12/2012, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Belinda18 @ 07/12/2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never mind the whole country, it would crash at our school if one of the Year 3 classes tried it! I once tried to get them all playing a maths game to practice time and none of them could load it.I don't know how the rest of the Year 3s, the Year 5s and the Year 7s are also supposed to do the test given there would be no more computers.

Also they computers are side by side in every computer lab I have been in. The potential for copying, which we minimise with creative seating during NAPLAN currently, would be immense.

Unless the government can actually give me a plan for how they will ensure each primary school child can access a computer. That is connected online via a wireless connection. Considering Mr Garrett can not currently tell us how he will resource the Gonski Reform I don't like my chances.

Sorry Mr Garrett. This is the worst idea ever.

#13 Lyn29

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (greatwon2 @ 07/12/2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen the test earlier than 8.30am on the day of administration. The leadership staff see it earlier, but they're not teaching the kids.

I am intrigued how they are going to get this online stuff working - Victorians who have suffered through the Ultranot Ultranet debacle (where the whole system crashed on more than one training day, class lists are inaccurate and it's so counter-intuitive that it's a joke) will be worried about how it's going to go.

And access to enough computers to ensure all can sit it when required - can't be done. I imagine the method of delivery will include a different time frame, as in there may be a week of access to each test. If the test is adaptive, each child could have a unique test, like the "on demand" testing we've been doing for a couple of years already, with great success.

#14 mumtoactivetoddler

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

If it would mean the govt would get off their backside and fund computers properly I might think it is more reasonable (our P and C have just had to fork out 18K because Dept of ED refuses to support our old computers but the govt hasn't provided the money to replace them from the last big grant 4 years ago which put them in in the first place.

#15 greatwon2

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Apologies if that came off sounding a bit accusing , i honestly wasn't sure how it worked and thought that may of been a reason why he made the statement about the fear that the teacher might teach to the test , i do wonder how they plan to set up the test so the whole system doesn't implode lol

If and its a very big if, they manage to get it running flawlessly i think it could potentially be an easier way to administer the test as long as they make sure every child's on an even footing regardless of computer literacy.

Edited to fix sleep deprivation induced waffling original.gif

Edited by greatwon2, 07 December 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#16 Cheryl_v

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

I assume he's tying the date to the projected finish of the NBN rollout so the chance of the website crashing should be smaller.  As I have one child who would do better in an online test environment than a handwritten test I can see positives but really I don't think it's ideal for primary school aged children as they need learn handwriting skills more than they need to be tested by NAPLAN.  Writing as a skill is nowhere near as essential as it used to be but it is still a skill people need to have and the lack of focus on handwriting in the curriculum is a real problem IMO.  Pushing the early years testing away from handwriting and towards typing is only going to disadvantage children without home access to computers and/or access to touchtyping lessons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.