Finding out about class teachers for 2013
The reaction from mums, wdyt?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 katrina24

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

My kids found out today who their teacher will be next year.  We have a pretty good sense of community at the school and know a lot of the other families.

This afternoon there was a lot of mums texting other mums to share which class their child was in and find out which class their friends kids were in.  Some mums were also sharing how they were feeling about their new class.  I am thrilled with my kids planned teachers and classmates (it would be hard to make me really unhappy though as I don't really have any issues with any teachers or kids).

My DH commented that he thought it quite odd that the mums were sharing this info and being happy/excited etc.  

It got me wondering if other people at other schools do this too or if we are a bit odd.  Not really a hard core wdyt? but I am curious.

#2 JRA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am not closer enough to most mums to text them about this, but at pick up yesterday there were a couple there who discussed this.

I don't see what is wrong about talking about it

#3 *Ker*

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

We certainly talk about it, and at the moment, there is major uproar in the school regarding teachers and placements.

#4 katrina24

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

No JRA, me either. I was one of the mums sharing information with others (in person and via text).

#5 kyrrie

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 07/12/2012, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We certainly talk about it, and at the moment, there is major uproar in the school regarding teachers and placements.

This is why we don't find out until next year.

#6 Julie3Girls

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I don't see anything wrong or strange with sharing the information. It's natural to want to find out who is in the class - as a parent, you tend to learn who your child fits well with in a class, and different teachers have different styles, so it's nice to get a heads up.

But we don't do it at this time of year original.gif  Our school doesn't announce class lists until next year. In fact, the kids go back to their old teacher/classroom for the first week (usually only a couple of days), before classes are finalised.
We live in a RAAF area, high turnover of students. So the school chooses to wait, rather than tell the kids a class and then disrupt them by changing it again.

#7 Lyn29

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

We announce ours on the last day of the year and then after school head off quickly before the rush of complaints/changes/whinges comes in!

#8 mumto3princesses

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

We don't find out what class our children may be in until the first day back next year. Then they also stress its only temporary until they get numbers confirmed etc. They don't usually make too many changes but sometimes there are a few switches around for various reasons.

DD#3 has Anxiety and she would benefit from knowing who her teacher will be now or at the very least confirming to her on that first day back that Mr/Mrs so and so is definately going to be her teacher and not this is her temporary class and definate classes will be confirmed by the end of next week. Those first couple of weeks back are so hard for her. I anticipate a few phone calls from the office because she feels sick or has a tummy ache or both.

I did hear from someone who the teachers will be next year so its one of 3 (or 2 of 3 if my twins get put in seperate classes) but we aren't meant to know. One of the teachers will be new to the school which would be hard for DD#3 if she ends up with him.

No big deal though about mentioning who your child has. Its a good conversation starter and way to find out who is in your childs class that year.

Edited by mumto3princesses, 07 December 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#9 GoneWithTheWhinge

I think it's a natural thing to do, school is such a huge important part of children's lives and their friends mean so much to them that to share these sort of details is no different than a group of mums sharing baby milestones.

I guess if you're not seeing your school mum friends at pick up then texting is a good way of sharing this. Plus if your child is a bit nervous about a new teacher it can be comforting to say 'Oh wow, how great Sam is going to be a class with you next year'

At the school Miss 6 is at classes aren't finalised until end of first week so they get a better idea of numbers and if there are any unforeseen issues. However she is changing schools this year so it'll all be new for her!

#10 TenYears

usually only a couple of days

Lucky you!  Our school takes weeks to allocate the kids a class and a teacher.  It is so demoralising for them to start the new year in a holding pattern and I hate it (everyone hates it - the kids, the parents, the teachers).  It's my only gripe about the school.

#11 Kalota

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'm a teacher and at my school there are SO many issues with parents finding out grades that we have to leave the announcement for the second last day or last day of school so that we're not swamped with complaints or angry parents! I don't know why parents get so worked up about it, all the teachers at our school are wonderful and we spend hours sorting children into grades to make the best grades that we can and so that all children can get as many of their friend preferences as possible sad.gif So I guess to answer your question, yes the mums and dads are constantly sharing their thoughts and feelings about the new grades!

#12 barrington

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

We find out class allocations in the week before school starts via the parent portal.  For DD1's school, the teaching list was sent with her school report.  DS's school - we'll find out the teaching list early next year.

#13 Julie3Girls

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Lucky you! Our school takes weeks to allocate the kids a class and a teacher

The school tries really hard to get the kids in to classes as soon as possible.
We did have one year where they went into classes, and then had to be reshuffled majorly in week 3. Mainly because the school had been just over the number needed to get a new teacher, and had made plans based on that. School started and we ended up ONE child short, so we lost the teacher (and the demountable that had already been delivered) Major reshuffle, with classes filled to the maximum.

I think the school basically does up the new class lists at the end of the year, and then tweeks them at the start of the year when they find out who actually turned up on the first day.
I noticed a big push in the newsletter this week, about please notifying the school if your child won't be returning, or if you know of anyone who plans to attending next year.

#14 liveworkplay

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have watched teachers spend literally days sorting out classes to then have to scrap the whole thing because of one preference (either new or overlooked) which throws the whole class balance off!

We find out in the last week but I am meh about it as our school does mostly team teaching from grade 1 on so it really doesn't matter too much who's class you are in (2 stream school)

I think the school basically does up the new class lists at the end of the year, and then tweeks them at the start of the year when they find out who actually turned up on the first day.
I noticed a big push in the newsletter this week, about please notifying the school if your child won't be returning, or if you know of anyone who plans to attending next year.

A major pitfall of the public system. I would hate to have to deal with that.

Edited by liveworkplay, 07 December 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#15 shanahan77

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

My children's school organises the classes at the end of this term. They will have met their new teacher and will come home with a note advising the teacher's name.

We have until the end of November if we as parents want any requests/preferences for academic/etc reasons in writing.

Their system seems to work really well. original.gif

#16 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 07/12/2012, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We announce ours on the last day of the year and then after school head off quickly before the rush of complaints/changes/whinges comes in!

This is what our school does. And the exact reason they do it! I don't envy a school having to allocate kids and teachers....massive job. Our school allows parents to write a letter requesting a 'teaching style' which will be considered.
I find it interesting that some schools don't announce their classes until the stat of the year......that's odd.
I think that it's perfectly normal that parents (and kids) talk about who they have, but what I hate is the playground mafia b**ching and whinging about it.

#17 emnut

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

DS has  been having orientation with his new teacher for 1 hour a week for 3 weeks now.  The school will absolutely not enter into discussions or considerations of requests to change classes, instead asking parents to trust their judgement.  This year they got it totally wrong with DS both with separating him from his main group of friends & also with the teacher so I wasn't happy & it is has been a struggle for the year for DS.  Next year though he is really looking forward to with a great teacher who he was hoping to get.  

I can understand parents talking about class/teacher placements & being happy/unhappy about them.  I know in the past 2 years I've had the polar opposite experience & while last year the parents of some of DS's friends were extremely happy, this year it is their turn to be unhappy with the way things have panned out - not all teachers are equal or a good fit with individual students.

#18 Julie3Girls

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I find it interesting that some schools don't announce their classes until the stat of the year......that's odd.

Only if you aren't used to it original.gif
I think some of the parents tend to get frustrated by it, wanting to know earlier. But the kids don't seem bothered at all.
If anything, they seem to like going back to school and having a week with their old teacher and class. Gives them a chance to catch up with their old class, before moving onto their new class.

At any rate, they haven't known anything different, so it's not a problem. Plus, being a small school, the kids tend to know all the teachers, so maybe a bit less daunting.

And if it is really a big issue (eg, I know one child with aspergers who would have huge anxiety issues), then the school will work with that family, often let them know the teacher in advance, and making sure that if other things change, that child doesn't.

#19 zande

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

We find out our class lists & teachers on the last day, the principal says he puts up the lists then locks the door and hides LOL! There's always a flurry of people texting/whinging/smiling/worrying etc! At our school we have a bunch of old crap teachers so it always is a worry as to where your kid is placed, it can make or break a year, so yep I talk about it!

#20 katrina24

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm glad to hear I'm in good company with my chatting.  I can understand why Principal's want to hide after the class lists are posted.  I appreciate that it is a huge amount of work to organise class lists and I really think it's great that so much effort goes into accommodating parent and child requests.  I do think people need to understand that not all requests can be accommodated.  

I also understand about the 'mummy mafia' comment.  I guess this is what I though when my hubby said he thought we were odd getting so excited about it all.  It made me wonder if I was being 'one of those mums' by participating in the discussions.  I hope not!

#21 Cheryl_v

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

I think the ones who put out the class lists at the end of the school year are the schools who have a fairly stable population and aren't expecting to see changes in student levels that will impact on staffing levels.  That's what we saw when we lived in Darwin, the school population numbers didn't change much despite the number of Defence students posting in and out through the year so the school staffing numbers didn't need to change and the class lists could be promulgated at the end of the preceeding year.  When we lived in Sydney the school was running very close to the line for staffing levels, having 2 more children enrol in year 2 meant an upheaval in classes right through the school population due to class number limits so they couldn't give final numbers until the end of week 1 or 2 of term 1 when they knew exactly who was enrolled at the school in every year level.

#22 Spa Gonk

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

Our school used to reveal the teacher on the last day.  This year they are doing it the week before school ends.  Will be interesting to see how it goes.  Our school also displays the class lists on several different. Notice boards across the school.  I like this approach as it means you don't have to talk to people individually to get the info of who is in your child's class.  The kids get to have a session with their teacher and meet their new classmates before the end of the year.  

Even though it is the only approach I know, I like it.  Over the holidays they get used to who their teacher will be and who will be in their class.  And I am. Ore likely to arrange play dates and foster friendships with their next year class mates.

OP, I would still talk about it with others though!  Often to get an idea of what the teacher is like (though I know the schoolyard gossip is not accurate) and to share.  I don't think I would be upset with any teacher and if I was would not share anyway. Bit hard to expect your child to be positive if you can't do the same.

#23 Fr0g

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

I have found the older the kids get, the less the parents care about who the teacher is.  

The parents in my daughter's Year 1 class are frantically wondering and hypothesising about next year, I couldn't really care at this point.  In my experience (and my kids have been lucky, I know that) it's made little difference to educational/ social outcomes over the years.  I have class-care-factor-burn-out.

I will say, the one thing that is helpful is that if the children are put into a new class away from the majority of their close friends, knowing who they'll be with in the next year gives you an opportunity to cultivate some new friendships over the holidays.

#24 Floki

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

On the last day we only find out what teachers are teaching which classes, not what students are in said classes.

I am happy with the teachers for both my kids. It is who maybe in DS class that will cause issues and, if it not resolved within two weeks, we will pull him from that school and make an almighty fuss.

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (zlca_mummy @ 07/12/2012, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that it's perfectly normal that parents (and kids) talk about who they have, but what I hate is the playground mafia b**ching and whinging about it.

When I was at school, we didn't get class allocations until the first day.  It was more of a surprise to me when DS1 was in kindy that we got the lists before the end of term and people were so vocal about their disagreement with the class allocations.  Right now, I know basically nothing about any of the other teachers in our school other than the ones that my children currently have (we moved here in June).

One thing that I do think is important if parents are going to b**ch and whinge about the class allocations is that they don't do it in front of their children, but I'm sure that's too far much to hope for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.