What time for bed for 9 year olds at a sleepover?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ~Nic~

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

It's DS1's 9 birthday this weekend, and instead of a party, he asked to have a couple of friends over for a sleep over... all good, he has asked 4 friends from school and I know all the parents so that's all ok. I'm going to ask the parents tomorrow afternoon when they get here, but I am wondering what time I should let them stay up to? I don't mind them staying up a bit later than normal, but I don't want them to be over tired zombies on Sunday for their parents. So, what time do you think is appropriate for 5 x 9 year old boys to go to sleep on a sleep over? FWIW, DS is normally in bed by 8.30 at the absolute latest, he stayed up to watch a movie tonight and crashed on the lounge at about 9.30.

Any suggestions?

#2 Bomber girl

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I would say lights out at 10pm

#3 ~MrsTeller~

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

My daughter is 9 and her last few sleep overs I just let them stay up watching movies until the crash or ask to go to bed!

#4 hazelhazel

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'd aim for them to be asleep by 11pm, they're going to be pretty excited!

#5 pinkcupcakes

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

do 9 years olds actually sleep at sleepovers these days? my giddy aunt, back in my day...

*wanders off rambling about when she was a girl...*

#6 The Old Bag

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

I would aim for 9.30, lights out at 10.

#7 bakesgirls

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

I've never bothered with a bedtime as such. It's hard to get a group of kids to shut up and go to sleep. wink.gif  I make sure the lights are out by 10:30ish. They eventually all drop off to sleep by midnight-ish.

DD1 usually just has a nap when she gets home if she wants after being at a sleepover, or sometimes she just chooses to go to bed a little earlier that night.

All her friends parents seem to do the same thing.

#8 ~Jodama~

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

I just let them stay up watching movies until they drop off usually they are all out between 11pm and 12pm.

#9 ~Nic~

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ok, good... I'm on the right track then. We've got my parents and IL's coming over for dinner, and I would say that they will be leaving around 9pm, so I might stick a DVD on when they go and when that's finished at around 10.30, it can be lights out.

Now to figure out what DVD...

#10 DS1979

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

I know when I went to sleepovers at that age we always tried to stay up till at least midnight, although I don't think we ever succeeded!

I agree with PP's, lights out at around 10/10.30pm but not expect them to crash straight away. And I don't think any parents will be upset about their kids being tired the next day - it's a given when there is a party sleepover involved!

Hope your son has a great party! original.gif

#11 cesca

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

LOL, very topical as my 9 year old DD has her birthday sleepover happening as I type this!

So I've singlehandedly (yes, DH has gone out for the day with his mates) taken them ice skating, given them dinner, arranged a talent quest, watched a DVD, and then put them to bed....

There are 6 girls aged 8 - 10, and one boy aged 10 (my DS).  I put them to bed at 9.30pm, it's now 10.10pm and they're still awake.  The sleepy ones periodically come out to me to complain about the rowdy ones.  I'm not bothered, it's a Saturday night and I figure they'll all be asleep by midnight...  cool.gif

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

My DD2 is having her 9th birthday sleepover tonight as well original.gif
Six 9 yr old girls.
They have swam in the pool all afternoon, had dinner, played outside until we went for a walk at 8pm to see some Christmas lights. Back at the house around 9. Set them up with a movie which finished just before 11pm, one already asleep when the movie finished.

They are still wondering in and out of the back room where they are sleeping, usually in pairs, to get a drink, go to the toilet.
Oh .. the sleeping one just came in for a drink ... wonder if the others woke her up ....?

I expect tired girls tomorrow original.gif Particularly as they all had a late night last night as well, with the local carols on.

#13 Kafkaesque

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

I usually put a movie on for them to fall asleep to. If it gets to be about 11.00 and there are still some awake I turn off the TV and suggest sleeping.  As long as they are quiet though they can chat as long as they like. My DD is almost 9 and so far they have always been asleep by 12.30.

#14 Furthermore

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

I wouldn't even give them a bed time.  I'd feel like a party pooper if I did.  

Sleep over parties here I tend to let the kids run wild outside till I'm going to bed (about 8.30 or 9 o'clock) then have them throw matresses on the lounge room floor, give them a pile of dvds and I go to bed.  Sometimes they have an indoor 'disco' rather than the dvds and music gets turned off about 10 or 11 and the dvd's go on.  They can stay up as late as they like provided they are not running around the house or rough playing.  

Strangely enough after spending till late running around outside they are too tired to play up anyway.

Edited by ~maryanne~, 09 December 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#15 Holidayromp

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

My advice is not to set any hard and fast bedtime.  Let the kids guide you on that one after all it is a sleepover and they are all going to be very excited.  Not much sleeping will actually happen.  Whenever my DD goes to sleepovers she is lucky if she manages a couple of hour's sleep.
But a DVD is definitely a good step in the right direction to wind things down a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.