Long interstate drive with 4month old
Any advice to make things easier?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tilli+Macey

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi, I am going from Perth to port Lincoln (2400 ks) in a few weeks and just wondering what I could do to make the trip a little easier for myself and my 4 month Old DD.
She does love the carseat so that's good but this last week she has been so clingy and starting to teethe so think it may be a long trip.

Any tips and/or advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Oh and to just add my mum and sister and her 2 kids will be in another car but always just in front or behind.

#2 pinkcupcakes

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

im sure this is nobrainer stuff, and not to make the trip any longer than it needs to be, but when dd was little we would:
*whenever possible, start travelling in the evening.give her a feed, make sure she has comfy clothes, fresh nappy, and any comforting security items ( blanket she usually sleeps with that has a familiar smell, teddy, dummy, etc). she would have a little whinge then go to sleep, meaning we'd usually get a stretch of at least a few hours peace and happiness.

*every time we'd stop, just refresh. (ie, nappy change, make sure she has all bed stuff, plus feed again.) also a little play in the fresh air, just sitting on a park bench or stretching legs for a 5 min walk seems to make a big diff. (our legs, not hers, just to clarify!)
i know this may add a little time to your trip but it's well worth it if bubs is well settled. hope it all goes well for you!

Edited by pinkcupcakes, 07 December 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#3 Kucingcantik

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I haven't done such a long drive with my DD, but I would do this:

1. Time long stretches for when she is due for a sleep.
2. If you know she will likely be awake, maybe get your sister, your mum or one of the kids to go in your car and entertain your DD in the backseat.
3. Stop frequently enough to meet DD's needs, but not so much that you are constantly getting her in and out of the car.
4. Take it slow and put in as many overnight stops as you can!
5. Buy some soothing music CDs if you don't already have some.

#4 luey08

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Car seats can be really hot so dress in singlet nappy / light suit,  cover with a muslin wrap if need be (can also be used at windows, as a towel  and to wrap her)
Have a shade over her window.  The sun really bothered our DS so we would block it with a silver sunshade too if need be.
Have room for you to sit in the back if necessary
have a blanket/ towel for her to stretch out on at stops also for nappy changes also useful if you have to change her in the car.
Disposable change mats are invaluable and.  Have all nappies etc easily accessible - a nappy cahnge mat like the GR8x one was good - fits in lots of nappies and other bits and pieces.

Pack all drugs, teething chew toys, bonjela etc  

If you are breastfeeding keep your fluids up.  Remember to move your legs etc to prevent clots

toys attached on a chain/ dummy clip - prevent projectiles and easier to find.  

A mirror so you can see her.  PErhaps a musical one?  I have heard that they don't like it dark at night so my friend used a dvd player.  Might be why my son whinged on night trips wink.gif  . You could try using a small 'red light' as long as it doesn't interfere with the driver/ other travellers.

You can always fly home wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.