Tragic outcome for nurse who took hoax call
from 2DayFM DJs

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#1 greengoddess

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

This is just tragic. That stupid prank call has left two children without their mother.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/07/d...urse-found-dead

Note from Admin:
If any members who are experiencing distress from this news story or similar threads, please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14

#2 Green Door

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

I have flame suit on...
She left her kids without a mother. It's very sad for her family. But the hoax call didn't kill her she did that all on her own.
I would say there was more going on in her life.

#3 Stellajoy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

Agree with PP. I don't think it's fair to lay blame on two people making a prank call.

#4 M1B2G

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

Agree with Green Door.  It is tragic but I do not think anyone would have expected this outcome from a prank call...

#5 halcyondays

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

But sometimes there is just a final stressor that pushes people over the edge. Prank callers know that they do cause stress in the recipient- they just think it is funny. I think the prank callers should have hung up when they got put through to the duty nurse- they had no business taking the hoax further.

#6 BadCat

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

"Many Britons have responded to the news with anger, a Facebook tribute site set up almost immediately after the news broke showing posts calling for the sackings and prosecutions of the DJs."

That's insane.  Prosecute them for what?  They did not kill this woman.  They played a joke.  They were not to know that she was so fragile that she would take her own life over it.  Nobody could reasonably expect such a thing.

Not that I'm defending the prank call as such.  I think prank calls are an extremely juvenile form of humour and I really wish radio stations would get over them.

Edited by BadCat, 08 December 2012 - 05:18 AM.

#7 Futureself

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Oh that is just awful.
I can't stand prank calls as humour - I freely admit this 'unaustralian' opinion that they're completely unfunny, juvenile, without wit and can be downright nasty. As for prank calling a Hospital - you know, those understaffed places of the sick and dying - I have no words. The switchboard really dropped the ball and put the damn call through to this nurse who thought she was doing the right thing. She was absolutely humiliated, publicly berated and would have feared for job.
**** that's sad

Edited by futureself, 08 December 2012 - 05:15 AM.

#8 greengoddess

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

I think it might be hard to imagine the public humiliation this woman would have felt, let alone fearing for her job. It would be a massively sensitive issue in a private hospital that is treating royalty - not like the US hospitals that regularly seem to leak "celebrity gossip".

But even if there were other things going on, who is to say that this wasn't the tipping point. I agree that prank calls are juvenile, but what I can't understand is that their legal advisers approved the segment. Surely at the very least they should have realised that someone's livelihood might have been risked?

Just to clarify - the nurse who died is the one took the call on reception, not the one who passed out the information.

#9 intd242

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

I agree, I think prank calling a hospital to invade a patients privacy is/was a very poor call.

#10 imamumto3

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (intd242 @ 08/12/2012, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, I think prank calling a hospital to invade a patients privacy is/was a very poor call.

when making the call I bet they didn't think they would get that far.  it is tragic that it ended ths way but I don't think it's directly the dj s fault

#11 madmother

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

Honestly, stupid idea but how on earth can they be blamed for her taking HER own life?

Nobody knows what people are going through in their lives, so do we pussy foot through life just in case?

She killed herself. There must have been some pretty serious issues for her to do so.

#12 R

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

I think people have every right to feel angry. When the lemmings at FM radio come up with these segments they need to consider the consequences of involving people without their consent and the impact this may have. Can you imagine how humiliated those staff must of felt? This was their place of work.

To blame the staff because they let the call go through seems unfair to me. The FM radio hacks state that they did not think the prank would have gone as far as it did because of their 'bad accents'. This statement insinuates the nurses were at fault for a part they did not agree to play and a prank they knew nothing about. This is the regular treating hospital for the royal family. A high profile member of the royal family was currently admitted. Would it really be a far stretch for these workers to assume that if someone called and stated they were royal relatives, that they were not to be believed?

This segment did not go to air live. The hosts, producers and lawyers had plenty of time to go over the phone call before airing it. If the station had thought they had gone 'too far' then why play the whole thing? The responsibility lies solely with them.

#13 R

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (madmother @ 08/12/2012, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody knows what people are going through in their lives, so do we pussy foot through life just in case?

No. I think if we aim to treat everyone with kindness, respect and dignity as we go about our day then we should not be too concerned about 'pussyfooting' around.

Besides, this was not a pussyfoot, as I understand the definition.

#14 Oriental lily

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

I think a lot of people are underestimating how humiliation effects people in certain cultures.

There will need to now be an enquirey in to this. So I imagine an in depth look in to this woman's mental health will need to he looked at.

The way those dim witted dj's kept promoting the segment and passing the blame of the ' success' of the prank on to the hospital staff could be seen as a form of bulling.

These two woman were the victims. Not the royals who would be no more irritated than anything.

I bet those two moronic dj's are not slapping themselves on the back and twittering how brilliant they are now.

I feel for this woman's family and I can certainly understand who you would be venting your anger at.

Edited by Oriental lily, 08 December 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#15 Feral Borgia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Its certainly very tragic, and it was a dumb prank, but there is no way this outcome would have been reasonably foreseeable .....I bet the DJs never thought for a moment that they would be put through to the ward...? I mean with a royal patient there would undoubtedly be communication protocols in place...her majesty is unlikely to call through the switch....and she has minions to place the calls in the first place...you know "please hold for her majesty the queen"...

This is like the Chaser APEC prank...they never thought for a moment it would work....far more tragic outcome though....

#16 pinkelephant

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

How do we even know for sure it was an accidental death/suicide? Maybe the royal family were angry they were humiliated?  Sorry- me and my conspiracy theories.

Really though, the prank callers are not to blame- it could have been any number of things

#17 madmother

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 08/12/2012, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its certainly very tragic, and it was a dumb prank, but there is no way this outcome would have been reasonably foreseeable .....I bet the DJs never thought for a moment that they would be put through to the ward...?

Exactly. They did not even sound English, let alone like the Queen or the other royals. They now have to live with this too.

So, all the people in uproar and screaming in righteous indignation - how would YOU feel if one of these
radio announcers now took their own life?

Responsible? Guilty? Should you then be vilified and blamed?

#18 ASDivine

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

This segment did not go to air live. The hosts, producers and lawyers had plenty of time to go over the phone call before airing it. If the station had thought they had gone 'too far' then why play the whole thing? The responsibility lies solely with them.

Agree. That nurse was publicly humiliated in front of the world. If they didn't think they'd get put through why didn't they hang up when they were put through? They would have foreseen something like this could have happened but they chose to air it anyway. They would have known very well the backlash that poor nurse would have suffered, but they still chose to air it.

#19 anna111

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (madmother @ 08/12/2012, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. They did not even sound English, let alone like the Queen or the other royals. They now have to live with this too.

So, all the people in uproar and screaming in righteous indignation - how would YOU feel if one of these
radio announcers now took their own life?

Responsible? Guilty? Should you then be vilified and blamed?

YES. Exactly. I find it bizarre that everyone that is blaming the DJ's for having 'blood on their hands' don't see that their comments could also potentially have the same outcome. Surely the DJ's must be absolutely devastated and having the full blame of the world is going to be a tough journey to get through.

ETA - I do have to say after finding out that the radio station had pre recorded it and had it checked by lawyers etc I do lay blame with TodayFM. Very poor decision to proceed.

Edited by anna111, 08 December 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

If one of these radio announcers took their own life I would feel very sad for their families.

But there would be no one to blame but themselves!

You can not compare it to a nurse doing her own job in a professional manner and then becoming the brunt of humiliating joke questioning her intelligence on how 'stupid' she was for falling for it.

No comparison at all.

Some people in this thread are still blaming her for being stupid enough to fall for it

#21 kpingitquiet

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

"Prank" is usually a bully's term to minimize the real impact of their bullying.

As for the nurse, clearly she had other things going on, but this is why bullying is bad. What one person sees as a "harmless" grab for ratings, at the expense of people they'll never have to face, can be the proverbial straw on another's back. Our actions in this world have consequences, direct and indirect.

#22 madmother

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

And some people in this thread are laying the total blame on a prank!

Honestly, if this is the sole reason (and I am sure it is not - hell, it is not even confirmed that she killed herself), then she should NEVER have been working in such a position with such a frail mental health state.

#23 BadCat

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

Oh come off it.  You cannot seriously be calling this bullying?  It was a single phone call with no intention of hurting anyone at all.

#24 .Jerry.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

As a school principal I am sick of hearing bullies say "but I was only joking".  It is the most trotted out line.  Jokes can hurt.  Pranks can hurt.
Whilst suicide was obviously not foreseeable, the DJs should have thought that their prank would have had consequences - intended and unintended.  They need to be able to wear the consequences.
World wide public humiliation and upsetting the royal family in this way would be difficult to deal with.

Such a sad end to something that should never have happened.
Pranks are only fun when everyone enjoys the joke.

#25 Aqua Kitty Kat

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

Although they did not make the nurse commit suicide, if they did not make the call she would most probably still be alive. I think they are a pair of grown up egotistical bullies like many popular radio personalities.

They need to grow up. The call was not funny and should not have been put to air. The shame and embarrassment this nurse would have felt obviously led to her death. Meanwhile the two people that caused her humiliation have closed their twitter accounts so they are not humiliated themselves. They are carefully controlling the situation whereas the nurse had little control of her situation after what happened.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.