Who made the tree change out of Syd?
I would love to hear about your experiences...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 applepie83

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who disliked living in Sydney and made the move to somewhere quieter ?

I would love to hear about your experiences. Did you regret the move? What do you miss about Syd? What don't you miss?

Thanks so much for you time - I am writing this as I get ready to go out 'garden' my pot plants on my apartment balcony, romantically dreaming of a life in the country. I plan on making the move out of Syd in 2 years - at the moment my partner & I am tied to Syd due to work commitments.

I love gardening but due to expensive real estate here, could only afford to buy an apartment, hence my 'garden' is limited.

original.gif

#2 Foogle

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

We did applepie.  We ended up going South when we had convinced ourselves that we were going North.  biggrin.gif

Basically, we decided when DS was 2 and the girls (DSD's were in their teens) that the time was right that we needed to move out of Sydney itself for various reasons.

We were convinced that the Northern Beaches of Sydney was were we wanted to be (DH grew up on the lower North Shore and I had only lived in the lower North Shore since moving to Aust in '88) so the Northern Beaches was where we were going.

We had a long settlement agreement on the property that we had sold which gave us 3-4 months to find a place.  We investigated the Beaches area, decided yep, and we even rented a property in Whale Beach to test the area.

We had a light-bulb moment when driving down here one afternoon to visit MIL (she has lived in the Wollondilly for 25 years), DH pulled over to side of the road and said to me 'what are we doing? - Look at these acreages - what do you think?'.  It was that quick OP.  On the side of the road, we made the decision to move South and not North.

We ended up buying 5 acres down here and have never regretted the decision.

We love where we are and laugh about the Northern Beaches idea we had.  Life is relaxed, schools are good (The girls started at an Independent Anglican school here for their senior years (they of course are long finished school now) and DS has followed and is currently in Y3), shopping is close, neighbours are fab.  

We live a very relaxed life overall - we work from home so that is a big factor.  As for Sydney, we don't go there very often

#3 applepie83

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Foogle. I am very jealous and happy for you regarding your 5 acres!! So much land, so many vegie patches and fruit trees  happy.gif

Edited by applepie83, 08 December 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#4 LynnyP

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I think the Northern Beaches is country!  This is as far out as I want to be.

#5 Nora.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

We kind of did. We lived in Stanmore/Surry Hills/Camperdown & moved an hour south of Sydney. I hated it down here for 10 years. Urgh. Small town. Everybody knows your business. No restaurants, shops etc. But now I love it. I rarely lock the house, kids leave skateboards out the front, nobody steals them. You can go to the butcher & forget your purse, they will say "don't worry *Nora*, just pay us next time". Because we are only an hour from the CBD we can still enjoy the fun stuff Sydney has to offer but come back to our quiet town.

#6 Foogle

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (applepie83 @ 08/12/2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Foogle. I am very jealous and happy for you regarding your 5 acres!! So much land, so many vegie patches and fruit trees  happy.gif

Yeah land is good - water is an issue though when considering trees and such like though. It's not that simple.

We are not on town water.  We have a 105,000 litre tank which gets it water from the house roof, garage roof and pergola areas and DH has a 10,000 litre tank attached to the barn which gives him water for his bird aviaries and kitchen he has in the barn for the birds.

The Bio-Septic is the only water supply that we have for trees, gardens etc.  5 acres is a lot of land to distribute this water and there really is not enough to go around.  So close to the house yes, I have my rose garden and vege garden.

Basically, the acreage doesn't get watered from the Bio - it can't and when considering where to put say a new lemon or mandarin tree for example, we have to take into consideration the water supply.

We could spend thousands of dollars on trenches, ag pipe and sprinklers but our ability to get water to plants dug into those areas is limited by the capacity and output of our Bio-Septic and ultimately by the capacity of our overall water storage. The Bio will only distribute what comes to it via our tanks.

What that means is we have most of the areas just grass and not planted.  Suits DS as far as having a soccer/rugby oval but as far as planted out, manicured, lovely gardens - no.  We don't have the water supply to do that.

#7 Farmgal

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

DH and I did the tree change over ten years ago. We found a house on ten acres and initially we loved it. But after a few years, kids came along and we did not have the time to mow all the land and care for the animals.

I grew up on acreage, so knew what it was all about, but still after a while I was over it. The high number of snakes were also off putting for me. The last straw was the brown snake in the kitchen.

Farm life is not all fruit trees, vegetable gardens etc. There is the problem of not being on town water. It is expensive to use tank water, each time you turn on a tap the pump starts, and that means money, more and more as electricity prices increase. Solar panels are a great idea!

You also need to maintain the property to prevent fires and growth of thistles etc. This can be hard work if your land is not all flat and accessible to a ride on or tractor. Animals will eat some weeds, but not all types.

So yes farm life is lovely, however it can be hard work and expensive too.

We have since moved to the coast and we are loving our small lawn, being able to walk to the beach and only having a short drive t the shops.

All the best with your decision.

#8 Mianta

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

We did. We lived in the eastern suburbs and now live in Northern NSW. I only miss the people and not the city. Life is good up here.

#9 Madnesscraves

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I did. I moved from concord to the blue mountains.

I wanted to be close to shops and transport but not too close that I was in the city. So I live in the upper mountains. Weather is perfect. I have a garden and trees to keep me cool in summer. I have amazing neighbours and we have annual BBQ on our street.  Local markets and great schools.

I'd suggest checking out the website evocities. They had great incentives for ppl moving there.

#10 feralisles

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

We left Sydney 15 years ago as we simply couldn't afford to buy anything we were willing to live in.  

I miss the multicultural aspect of Sydney - we now live on a small acreage in a regional centre and it is very much a monoculture.
Good restaurants and cafes are hard to find, the bakeries do 26 varieties of white bread but no sourdough, and there is no decent bookshop!  We only get mainstream movies, whereas in Sydney we used to enjoy the arthouse type cinemas such as the Dendy.

Bookdepository.com and online movies take care of a couple of those issues, and we tend not to eat out much these days anyway.  I've never been one for clothes shopping, so don't miss that aspect of city living.

On a positive note, we love having the bush around us, the beaches are uncrowded and yes it is lovely having a garden.  We have solar power, tank water, our own fruit and veges and several chooks.  Our kids spend hours outside chasing the chooks,  making cubbies in the garden or raiding the mulberry and blueberry bushes.  They can walk or ride their bikes to friends' houses on their own as the roads are quiet and all the neighbours look out for each other.  

We are lucky to have good schools, but if our girls go to university they will probably have to leave home. We'll worry about that in a couple of years...

For us the tree change has been great.  I rarely go to the city, and when I do I can't wait to get out of there!

#11 Batmansunderpants

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

We moved from western Sydney to the central coast. Love, love, love it. The pace of life suits us and we both hate driving in Sydney now.

#12 Stellajoy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Moves from Sydney to the far north coast and will never ever go back. Life is fab here .

#13 babybeli

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

South west Sydney to northern river's.  Never going back

#14 JustBeige

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Miss Cookie @ 08/12/2012, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We moved from western Sydney to the central coast. Love, love, love it. The pace of life suits us and we both hate driving in Sydney now.

Same with us.

We were actually discussing this in a group last night and the people who have moved out, swear blue that they will never move back.

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Wasn't planned but we ended up moving from Sydney (lower north shore) to Newcastle/Hunter area.  Would never go back.  Can always pop down to Sydney for a weekend if we need a "city" fix.  Probably do that 2-3 times a year.

Having said that, if we didn't have kids, I think we would have stayed in Sydney for a very long time.

#16 miraclebaby11

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Moved from Sydney to Central West NSW. At first we were in a new housing estate and it was just like Sydney I hated it. Now we are on a property of roughly 160 acres which runs cows. As we are renting we only occupy about 1 acre but it is enough and makes our move worth while now. DS loves watching the cows and feeding them. As soon as his eyes are open he wants to be outside. Our dogs love the space too.

We go to Sydney often and I cannot stand it there. All the traffic and people everywhere although I do miss a big shopping centre.

#17 myboysandi

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

We moved to a large regional town last year. It's coming up to a year now and while I like visiting Sydney - we're only 2hours away, I wouldn't want to live there again!

I love the space, the roosters in the mornings (as opposed to the police sirens), and just the more relaxed life we have. The bonus of a larger regional town is we have the benefits of the area, with most of the services we had in Sydney - cinemas in the next town over (5mins), a local pool, libraries, great schools, more than 1 supermarket, and some great restaurants just down the road - SMH good food guide restaurants! Why would I want to go back to the hustle and bustle of life in Sydney?

#18 skylark

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

I love Sydney, lived in the eastern suburbs for years and years and years but we have decided not to go back now. Too many people and it's all gone a bit feral and awful and obvs property prices are completely and utterly insane (my sister and her husband nearly bought a 2 bedder apartment for $850k recently. They are sensible people too, that's just how nuts it is now). We have made the gold coast our base for the long term now, very happy with our decision.

#19 Procrastinator5000

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I miss the multicultural aspect of Sydney - we now live on a small acreage in a regional centre and it is very much a monoculture.
Good restaurants and cafes are hard to find, the bakeries do 26 varieties of white bread but no sourdough, and there is no decent bookshop! We only get mainstream movies, whereas in Sydney we used to enjoy the arthouse type cinemas such as the Dendy.

That's the main kind of thing I would miss too.. I don't know if I could do it.

Some small towns seem to have quite a gourmet culture though. Maybe it's about finding the right one.

#20 ~ky~

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

We went from Bankstown to Nowra within 8 months of moving to Australia from NZ. I hated Sydney and it took just weeks after our move south for my PND to become a non issue. It was a good move for me.

We lived there 6 years before moving to WA.

#21 Swarley

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

Just over a year ago we moved our big family from Penrith to Wagga Wagga.
We haven't regretted it for a second. Much more laid back lifestyle, people seem friendlier - but my favourite is no more stress from renting. When the house we were in was selling, there were only 3 other houses in our area, all with high rents, and lines of 20-30 people applying.
We got in to the first house we applied for here. I know if we ever had to move, there would be less stress because there is so much more available.

We shudder whenever we drive back to Sydney.
So much concrete. Tounge1.gif

#22 Mpjp is feral

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'd love to do this, but what does everyone do for work????

#23 Mianta

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

meplainjanebrain:

I am a nurse and a midwife and I was very lucky to score the only job on offer at my local hospital for a midwife. The process took awhile, I applied in Feb, interviewed in April, recieved an offer in June and moved in July, but it was worth it. My dh is a sahd and will be until our youngest is at school.

#24 WinterIsComing

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Foogle @ 08/12/2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We did applepie.  We ended up going South when we had convinced ourselves that we were going North.  biggrin.gif

Basically, we decided when DS was 2 and the girls (DSD's were in their teens) that the time was right that we needed to move out of Sydney itself for various reasons.

We were convinced that the Northern Beaches of Sydney was were we wanted to be (DH grew up on the lower North Shore and I had only lived in the lower North Shore since moving to Aust in '88) so the Northern Beaches was where we were going.

We had a long settlement agreement on the property that we had sold which gave us 3-4 months to find a place.  We investigated the Beaches area, decided yep, and we even rented a property in Whale Beach to test the area.

We had a light-bulb moment when driving down here one afternoon to visit MIL (she has lived in the Wollondilly for 25 years), DH pulled over to side of the road and said to me 'what are we doing? - Look at these acreages - what do you think?'.  It was that quick OP.  On the side of the road, we made the decision to move South and not North.

We ended up buying 5 acres down here and have never regretted the decision.

We love where we are and laugh about the Northern Beaches idea we had.  Life is relaxed, schools are good (The girls started at an Independent Anglican school here for their senior years (they of course are long finished school now) and DS has followed and is currently in Y3), shopping is close, neighbours are fab.  

We live a very r
elaxed life overall - we work from home so that is a big factor.  As for Sydney, we don't go there very often

In what universe moving to Northern beaches qualifies as a tree change?! When you said instead of moving North, I thought you meant Coffs Harbour or something.

NB is Sydney.
A better part of it, though:-)

OP, I would be asking what people did for a living, since some regional areas have massive unemployment. Including South Coast, as idyllic as it is. Could you run your own business?

#25 Foogle

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

You were away the day they taught Year 3 comprehension weren't you WinterisComing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.