Was it completely unreasonable of me
to deny my child's request for pancakes for breakfast?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 EsmeLennox

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

he seems to think so. Complete with door slamming and flouncing about.

#2 pratique

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

ignore, ignore and ignore. And if he is old enough, make him get his own breakfast.

#3 Jenflea

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

My 2 yr old wanted ice cream for breakfast the other day. That request was denied too.

Teach him how to make shake and pour pancakes, then he can make YOU pancakes next week!

#4 Yomumma

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

No wonder we have newbies complaining about child cruelty on here with that sort of behaviour, OP

#5 akkiandmalli

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

lol i have this requesst daily and it is always no except on Sundays when we have time. no working mama is making pancakes on a school day and onsatwehave sports early.. sorry kiddo you eat cereal or toast- dont want that then too bad!! lol i get the stomping and flouncing about but its all about the limits!!

#6 50ftqueenie

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Of course it was unreasonable. Didn't you know that when you gave birth you signed a special contract that makes EVERYTHING YOUR FAULT.

#7 mummame

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

I hear you OP my son is currently bawling his eyes out in his room because he can't stay at his Nan's house tonight but next weekend is fine, he is devestated about it!

#8 challice

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

This is truly shocking.
I am calling department of family services right now.

#9 FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, you deserved that.

My 11 year old flounced in the shoe shop yesterday because the store didn't have his size. Cue the high-decibel whining... I was publicly exposed as a failure of a parent.

The world owes our children, and if we don't facilitate their every whim, we've failed.

Condolences to your Lord Of The Manor, OP.

#10 BetteBoop

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

I do pancakes every Saturday whether I intend to eat them or not. DD announces "it's Pancake Day!" on Saturday morning and I don't have the heart to refuse her.

This morning, when I realised we were out of maple syrup and I would have to go to the shops, I almost cried.

But I still made pancakes.

So you're either unreasonable or very smart, depending on whether you ask my DD or me  wink.gif

#11 agnodice

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

As a complete aside... I have just discovered buckwheat. Did you know that buckwheat is not a grain, it’s a seed? And HIGHLY nutritious? And WAY easier to make amazing pancakes with than flour? And so nutritious that it assuages any pancake making guilt? Oh, and its gluten free.

It's available in my local organic grocer.

So here's my recipe.
1.5 cups of buckwheat
1 tsp baking powder
1.5-2 cups milk or buttermilk (1.5 cups makes thick pancakes, 2 cups makes thinner, almost crepey ones)
1 egg

Mix with a whisk (because there is no gluten, it mixes like silk in three seconds).

Heat a non-stick skillet, you want it quite hot, so when you flick water at it, it dances and evaporates quite quickly. Pour on a glob of batter. Dot some butter around the edge if you want (not necessary). The pancake will get a million beautiful holes and you will see the top dry out as it cooks. No need to flip, just pull it off, top with fresh fruit, or maple syrup or whatever you like, sweet or savoury.

Reliable, quick, perfect, healthy pancakes every time.

So yes, OP, you are a terrible mum. Get thee off and make him some buckwheat pancakes.

PS - you can also buy buckwheat online

Edited by MsN, 08 December 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#12 JuniPooks_

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Lock in his room. And set up a routine.

#13 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 08/12/2012, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do pancakes every Saturday whether I intend to eat them or not. DD announces "it's Pancake Day!" on Saturday morning and I don't have the heart to refuse her.

Ours is Sunday. Every now and again I get lazy so I send DH to by MacDonalds pancakes.  ph34r.gif

#14 EsmeLennox

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

MsN you are just showing off now. Be gone with you! tongue.gif

I will consider myself suitably chastised and never torture a child so heinously again. I will await the knock at the door from DCP.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (ForsakenTruth @ 08/12/2012, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ours is Sunday. Every now and again I get lazy so I send DH to by MacDonalds pancakes.  ph34r.gif

I make mine with wholemeal flour, no sugar and trim milk. I cook them in a non stick pan with no butter and they're served with a drizzle of maple syrup.

I have no interest in DD knowing how good pancakes are supposed to taste  biggrin.gif

#16 CupOfCoffee

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

MSN, last time I made pancakes my son (before he would eat them) said, 'mum are these normal pancakes or are they made with something stupid like buckwheat or spinach' biggrin.gif

My daughter just asks that they are not made with berries...

my attempts at healthy(er) pancakes have left them pancake shy... (but they love my husband's, they know there will be nothing healthy in them when he makes them biggrin.gif

#17 Anemonefish

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Completely unreasonable, how cruel of you OP!  wink.gif
I'm glad other people's kids do the 'flounce off to my room in a huff' thing. I thought that was teenage behaviour but my DD started doing it at age 7!

QUOTE (MsN @ 08/12/2012, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a complete aside... I have just discovered buckwheat. Did you know that buckwheat is not a grain, it’s a seed? And HIGHLY nutritious? And WAY easier to make amazing pancakes with than flour? And so nutritious that it assuages any pancake making guilt? Oh, and its gluten free.

Ooh, I didn't know that. That has inspired me to find a local source of buckwheat flour. I spent 6 wks in France this year and one of my favourite foods was galettes - savoury, buckwheat crepes, cooked on just one side with various toppings (usually savoury - e.g. egg, cheese, mushrooms, ham). So yummy. Good to know it's gluten free.

#18 Jenflea

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

The gluten free section of the supermarket has buckwheat pancake mixes, in a box, just add water and maybe an egg I think.
I ate them when pregnant as they are pretty low GI and good for GD.

#19 missy78

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

How VERY DARE you, OP! Calling DHS for child cruelty. My niece once called the police (she'd just learnt to dial 000) since her mother wouldn't tuck her in (she'd earlier refused to go to bed). Lol

#20 agnodice

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 08/12/2012, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MsN you are just showing off now. Be gone with you! tongue.gif

Not showing off, just sharing the pancake love!

Anemonefish, yes you can make gallettes. Many pancake/galette recipes have wheat flour in them which I don't actually think is necessary, and actually makes them harder to make well, rather than easier.

#21 Luvmy4

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Sunday is pancake day not Saturday  biggrin.gif so if you deny him tomorrow that would be unreasonable
(ours are made with atta flour so marginally better than white flour)

#22 Majeix

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

mmm pancakes...

#23 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yes think your 100% unreasonable because had you fed your child pancakes there would not be a topic and I wouldn't want what I can't have.

LOOK WHAT YOUV DONE OP!!!

Tounge1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.