*Spinoff* Are there respectful entertaining radio stations?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Poss and Soss

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

The whole 2DayFM thing has me wondering if there are any decent radio stations out there? What do you listen to and does this sort of thing go on?

#2 JRA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

ABC

#3 .Jerry.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I am very old.  I listen to my local ABC (612ABC Brisbane).  Always interesting.  Very varied.  Very respectful.

#4 Feral_Pooks

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I have the car set to Smooth FM in Melbourne, I have no idea who they are affiliated with or whatever, but I like easy listening while driving (and DS is upset) and so far, so good.

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

There is a smooth fm here in Sydney right?  Relatively new?  Has David Campbell on the weekends.  I love it, my kind of radio station original.gif

#6 Froger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Yes! ABC Local is fabulous. Also ABC Radio National. The frequency changes depending where you are, go to the ABC website and look up your area.

Also ABC news radio is good if you like news. You get a lot of overseas radio feeds as well, from UK, USA, Germany and others.

#7 Sue Heck

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

I listen to ABC as well I don't mind the music on commercial stations but the inane chatter has me switching back.  I also hate how there is no rating system so you can get really inappropriate stuff popping up when the children are in the car.

#8 SophieBear

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I listen to Triple J but recently their morning show was in trouble for making oven jokes about the holocaust. Doubt there are many out there. Local ABC talkback?

#9 Feral Becky

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 08/12/2012, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am very old.  I listen to my local ABC (612ABC Brisbane).  Always interesting.  Very varied.  Very respectful.

If you are older than me I will eat my underpants biggrin.gif

I used to listen to 6PR here in Perth. When I found that I was spending more time sending e-mails complaining to them than I actually was listening, I switched to ABC. Refreshing.

#10 Roy G Biv

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Only ABC Radio National for me.

#11 JRA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 08/12/2012, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have decided that once Red Symons and Richard Stubbs become ABC radio presenters it showed I was bloody old. How could Red Symons go from SkyHooks to ABC radio!!!

#12 MsNorbury

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

I am very old. I listen to my local ABC (612ABC Brisbane). Always interesting. Very varied. Very respectful.

Me too I love 612

For music, I have a digital radio and listen to ABC DIG radio. It is great, very eclectic and plays some of the stuff JJJ used to play, plus new stuff and no  announcers at all. Can also get on the phone app or online

#13 Tarantara

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Radio National or ABC local radio. I hear so many amazing things on Radio National, I love it. Don't listen to local as much coz I miss Lindy Burn, she is on too late now sad.gif

#14 Lyra

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

I listen to RRR here in Melbourne. Occasionally I get blasts of FoxFM or some other crap and I am thankful that we have RRR

#15 Superman+4sisters

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

I listen to the local Christian radio station Hope 103.2. Or if I'm in the mood for classical music, 102.5.

#16 whatnamenow

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

96.5 family FM in brisbane.

I miss living in brisbane..

#17 Froger

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

I also just wanted to add that there may also be some community radio stations in your local area. They are often interesting, although not to the same professional standard you may be used to. Maybe try googling "Community Radio" and your local area or something?

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

I just flick to my CD when the ads and stuff are on biggrin.gif I can't do "chatter" while I drive

#19 Lyn29

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'll admit to turning into my parents and tuning in to the ABC. No prank crud going on, no obscene language, no ads for male enhancement products, newsreaders with basic language skills, etc.

But - the cricket (aargh), the footy (AAARRGGGHHH) and the "music" (AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH) means that I generally use CDs or my iPod in the car these days.

#20 Feralina

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 08/12/2012, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I listen to RRR here in Melbourne. Occasionally I get blasts of FoxFM or some other crap and I am thankful that we have RRR

+1, though I alternate between PBS and RRR (both Melbourne community stations). In a pinch, I'll go to SYN (student youth network) for something a bit different, or JJJ. I would rather stick pins in my eyeballs than listen to Fox or similar!

#21 JaneLane

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

I rarely listen to radio, usually plug my iPhone in and play metal and punk, but when I do turn the radio on, its only ever ABC 702 in Sydney. I love listening to James Valentine and Richard Glover and also Norman the Quizz at night.

I hate all commercial radio, it's just total crap.  I use to listen to ABC JJJ but it's too much music for me. When I listen to radio it's for the talking not music as I can just plug mine in for that

#22 JaneDoe2010

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I never listen to the radio, not out of choice anyway, only if someone else has it on. I listen to the music on my iPhone when in the car.

#23 LynnyP

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

702 in Sydney, ABC local radio.  I mix it up a bit with ABC Classic and Community Classic FM.  When my daughter snaps we listen to MixFM.

#24 Feral Cancerian

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I've been a contestant on Smooth FM in Melbourne's celebrity voice competition, and off air the presenter was chatty, polite and charming.

Actually just wanted to brag about that

Even though I didn't win rolleyes.gif .

#25 katpaws

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I love Joy FM in Melbourne. Great music, some really interesting discussions and information on it. It's a community radio station.

I get most  rant.gif  when DH uses the car and changes the station to JJJ (which i cannot stand).

ETA; Is it a respectful station? I think it is, but the issues they cover are ones i am interested in or believe in. I have never had a problem with the content, but then i am very open minded.

Edited by katpaws, 08 December 2012 - 06:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.