Fine, thin hair.........
What cut????????

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 *JJ*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have very fine, thin hair that sits about 2 inches below my shoulders.

I wear it up every day and if i try to leave it out i am constantly picking hair off my top and pulling out loose hair (i am really bad at the moment, I don't even know how i still have hair).

I think my hair is actually getting thinner!! I tried a blunt fringe but didn't really suit so am in the process of trying to grow that out.

I would love to know if anyone else has similar hair and what style works for them?

Thanks heaps

#2 *JJ*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

No one had painful hair like me that can help with advice..............................please  unsure.gif

My hair is just so, so thin and so fine and getting worse as I get older. I know having it below my shoulders isn't helping but just not sure what the next best thing would be (oh and no short hair, it so doesn't suit  biggrin.gif ).

#3 bubbanme

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I wish I could help but my hair is the same  cry1.gif

I was hoping for answers too!

#4 item

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Can't go past a bob.

Maybe slightly longer in front and layered in the back, else just blunt.

20 years and some fabulous hairdressers and this is as good as it gets.

Eta I like mine just long enough to pull into a half pony, or a low pony with bobby pins. But truly, I have tried everything. Straightening was the only other thing which helped, makes my hair look like a glossy waterfall, even though there are only like, 100 thin bits of it. Lol

Edited by item, 09 December 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#5 steffijade81

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

My hair is the same. The long fine bob seems to work for alot of people. For me it looks terrible as does a fringe. Mine is just long and I put it up all the time.

#6 FeralDancesHere

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (item @ 09/12/2012, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't go past a bob.

Maybe slightly longer in front and layered in the back, else just blunt.

20 years and some fabulous hairdressers and this is as good as it gets.

Second this. I had my hair jaw length at the front and layered to the top of my neck for ages. Looked great when it was blow dried and acceptable when it wasn't.

My hair went curly and a bit thicker after I had DS so it is a whole different battle.

#7 item

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Steffi, try a slightly shorter cut with a relaxation treatment/straightening. Makes a huge difference.

#8 Propaganda

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

A layered bob might help. The layers will lighten your hair and allow you to puff it up a bit to add volume. I recommend dampening your hair each morning and putting some volumising mousse through it, then blow drying it to make it appear less fine and thin. This is what currently worse well for my hair.

#9 *JJ*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Damn, doesn't anyone have the most amazing awesome looking cut that will work amazingly????? LOL

At least I am not alone, think I will start at just on my shoulders and with a side swept fringe and go from there. At this point I am ready to shave it off only it wouldn't be pretty!!

#10 Propaganda

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

http://bobhairstyles.tk/wp-content/uploads...yles-hairii.jpg

The woman above has fairly fine hair, but a layered, concave bob gives her more volume.

I don't think Victoria Beckham has fine hair, but her hairstyle seems to have somewhat influenced the trend, and gives an idea about the overall result of the cut http://images.totalbeauty.com/content/phot...-beckham-13.jpg

#11 Ruby Gloom

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hi JJ,

I have similar sounding hair to you! I took the plunge a few months ago and went the pixie cut. I've never looked back, it's so easy to maintain and looks thicker!

#12 HappyWomble

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Those bob photos have WAYYYYY more hair than me. My hair is very fine and very thin. One thing I was noticing was that heaps of my hair was falling out every day.

I've been on a bit of a hippy thing lately and wondered if the shampooing and conditioning etc was having an effect. I had noticed that some conditioners that came with hair colouring treatments would cause more hair to fall out and my skin to break out. So after much experimentation, what I did was go shampoo-free. But it was a multistep process.

I started by changing to the Moo Goo shampoo and conditioner. I found that the shampoo was so gentle, I didn't need the conditioner. My hair felt quite different for awhile, not bad, just a different kind of clean. I also stretched out the time between washes. Those of us with fine hair will tell you that you HAVE to wash everyday or it's disgustingly oily. But I found my hair was becoming less oily.

Then, after a while, I decided to switch to straight bicarb diluted in water in a cup (if you use a disposable plastic cup, you just lightly cover the bottom with bicarb and add about an inch of water and swish it around). You condition with something mildly acidic like diluted vinegar or lemon or lime juice. My hair is now squeeky clean, but most importantly - it's not falling out anymore! Even my husband noticed that the hair trap in the bottom of the shower is no longer clogged with hair. So while still quite thin, there's more hair because it simply isn't falling out all the time. It was getting to the point where you could see my scalp all through my hair. Now it looks covered.

I've been doing this for the better part of a year now (also since choosing to not dye my hair anymore, which will also help). My hair is thicker and shinier. I'm working up to using beaten egg as a deep conditioner to see if that helps too.

Maybe worth a try?

As for hair style... at the back it's approximately along the tops of my shoulder or at most an inch or two below. I noticed that the front of my hair doesn't really grow longer than the tip of my nose. After that it fizzles out to straggly hairs. So I decided to cut it to the tip of my nose. Actually what I do is comb all my hair forward and towards my nose. I cut everything longer than my nose or, if coming around from the sides, anything longer than the corners of my mouth. This has the added benefit of not having my spiderweb hair blowing into my mouth (I've been known to choke on it). You then ease these layers into the back of your hair. And no, it doesn't end up looking like a mullet wink.gif it looks like a layered bob with long fringe (as opposed to longer sides, like in the links above). More like this http://cdn.sheknows.com/filter/l/gallery/h...layered_bob.jpg
or the first 2 on this page
http://plamgirlshop.com/2012/10/layered-bo...yles-for-women/

And it can look a bit posh if you put your hair behind your ears, a bit like this: http://bobhairstyles.tk/2012/09/long-chopp...styles-slodive/

I hope that helps.

Edited by HappyWomble, 10 December 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#13 *JJ*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

HappyWomble your hair sounds so much like mine!!

I am going to try your tips starting today but am going to go straight for the bi-carb and vinegar and see how that works. Am a little excited and hopeful!!

Also booked into hairdressers at lunch to get it cut shoulder length and shorter around the front and go from there!!

Thanks for the replies and lets hope I can stop some hair loss and start to get some growth   biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.