I gave it to charity- HELP! UPDATE

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Tammy Swanson

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Ok be nice as I am very VERY emotional right now but I am seeking advice if anybody out there can help.
A few weeks ago I was culling a load of our clothing that we had in storage in our garage as I wanted to free up some of those plastic tubs for clothes my son had grown out of and thought I would throw out a load of my old clothes, swimmers,some cheap jewellery in time for Christmas in case anyone would be looking for something nice in these OP shops. I now have come to realise that I have given away my ENGAGEMENT AND WEDDING RINGS that were in box at the bottom of a storage bag!!!

The reason they were in there, was because it was a cluster setting and one of the side diamonds had come loose a few months back when we moved house so I kept them in a storage container for 'safe keeping'.  
I also cannot ear a cluster setting when I have my kids in nappies as I always seem to scratch them when doing nappy changing. so I put it away in a 'safe' place until I 'got round' to sending it off to be repaired.

OK sorry for rambling but does anyone know what happens when things are donated to charity bins and if valuables are put aside in case someone rings and said they donated them by accident ??? I know it is doubtful but I am living in hope. my engagement ring cost my DH $11,000 ten years ago so I feel beyond sick and hardly slept last night. It is insured but for nowhere near its value as our insurer recommended this.  As a side note does anyone know if insurance pays out if you GIVE IT AWAY. I am such an idiot and feel so foolish that I did not check everything properly.

HELP!!! I feel sick at the thought of telling DH what I have done.

Edited by Tammy Swanson, 10 December 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#2 knottygirl

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

go in to the shop where you donated them and ask.

#3 beccajayne

So sorry this happened to you.

Try calling where you donated and explain, maybe someone did find it and put it aside. Can't hurt to try

I hope you do find them

#4 Chocolate Addict

I would contact the head office of the charity and ask them. Also, if you have photos of the rings it would be helpful.

If you need to claim insurance don't say you gave them away because technically you didn't. You accidently threw them away. Giving them away implies you handed them over willingly so that wouldn't even be covered by insurance, and you didn't give them away knowingly anyway so not dodgy.

#5 R2B2

I cant help with the charity side of things, but i'm not sure you'd have to tell the insurance company that you "gave it away" when claiming?!

#6 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Oh no!  I'd be freaking out. I'm not certain but I would have thought insurance will cover it as accidental loss??
Did you deposit them in a bin? Can you go and look and see if there is a contact number on the bin? - a friend of ours was dropping stuff off once and dropped her car keys in the goowill bin, there was a number on the side to call - she got told what day they opened the bin and met them there to get them.

How long ago was it that you donated them? Maybe contact the charity.

Goodluck

#7 *cough*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Oh OP - I have no advice just wanted to say I am thinking of you.

#8 Chocolate Addict

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Take a big breath, and remember you haven't worn these things, or even missed them in nearly 10 yrs.

She said she took them off a few months ago after a stone got loose. It was 10 years ago they were valued if you read it again. wink.gif

#9 Seeta girl

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

This same thing happened to a friend of mine. She phoned head office to the charity in which the items were donated to. The charity were wonderful and did all they could to help her. Don't lose hope... I can imagine how you are feeling!

#10 applepie83

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Good luck - hope it works out for you.

#11 Glowworm80

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

There was a story in Canberra a few years ago, where a family member did a clean out of an old lady's house whilst she was in hospital and donated some old suitcases. Turns out the old lady stored all her cash in them to the tune of $80 000  (if I am not mistaken). The op shop had sold the suitcases by the time the old lady had realized what had happened. But they managed to track down the buyer via eftpos or credit card receipts and reclaim back most of the money.

Don't lose hope!

#12 epl0822

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Oh crap. I really hope to see an update that says you got the rings back safely. I can't say I wear my engagement/wedding rings a lot but they hold sentimental value and I would be devastated if I lost them.

#13 Tammy Swanson

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks everybody for the replies! I dropped off the bags at a charity bin in a train station car park, so no shop to go back to and I know they have been emptied as when I was driving past a few days later I saw the men emptying it. I have driven to the bin and got the number off the front of it which I will call first thing tomorrow and fingers crossed they have put it aside.

The ring broke in May of this year when I dropped it whilst packing up our house but I have not worn them since I had my last baby just over 12 months ago, the reason I was looking for them last night was because my DH said for xmas why dont you get it fixed and ask them to change the setting to a pave one which wont scratch as I have found myself with a 'surprise' pregnancy and realise I will be changing nappies for the next 2/3 years so made sense to change it. At least I have many photos of me wearing it and I have the insurance note plus the original receipt and I can claim for accidental loss as I had a friend who threw hers in the bin and was covered for it. Still makes me sick though as the rings were the ones my DH and I said our vows with and the engagement ring he gave to me when he proposed.

He is going to be really cross as he is always looking for things and asks where they are and say I gave them away to charity and gets narky at me over little things!!!

I will be sure to update you all in case anyone else does this is in the future when they have pregnancy brain!!!! Thanks again

#14 crankybee

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ok, did you put them in a charity bin or give them to a shop?

I recently put a coat accidently in a bin, rang the charity which ran it and they were very organised. They had a lost property claim and did a full investigation.

Good luck OP

Just read your reply. aRing the charity asap on Monday

#15 luke's mummu

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

My Mum accidentally threw out her engagement ring - had hidden it in a tissue box (at home) while we went on holidays. She was able to claim the full amount on her house insurance as it was "lost".

My dad also once gave a CD player to a charity shop (on behalf of my MIL) and the next day she changed her mind and wanted it back. So he went in and they gave it to him for free (was still on the shelf for sale).

#16 SeaPrincess

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (Tammy Swanson @ 09/12/2012, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is insured but for nowhere near its value as our insurer recommended this.  As a side note does anyone know if insurance pays out if you GIVE IT AWAY.

Ring the charity.

Get a new insurance person. You might as well have no insurance as be under-insured.

When you go to re-insure, make sure you have the right type of insurance.  Listing an item of jewellery by value does not make it fully insured for loss or damage (which my friend found out the hard way when her diamond ring got damaged).  Some of my jewellery is listed and would only be covered for theft, the stuff I wear often is fully insured for theft, loss or damage anywhere.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 09 December 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#17 Steggles

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

I would spend tonight finding clear photos of the rings also - gives them some proof and reference original.gif

#18 Tammy Swanson

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

I rang the charity first thing this morning and gave me the number of the depot the bag would have gone to and the guy was so nice but they have not shown up. he said they get a huge rush of donations before christmas and they have a backlog to get through and the bag could be amongst it. He said it could take up to month to get through them, so I asked if I could come down and look for the bag myself and I would spend the rest of the day volunteering as well. he said no not possible as everything is locked in security cages and monitored (who knew they would be so strict!) so he said it will turn up BUT I AM GOING INSANE with waiting and the kicker to all of this is I rang up our insurers and IT IS NOT INSURED under accidental loss.
Our suburb was badly affected by the brisbane floods a few years ago and everyones premiums went through the roof so we were advised to take the ring and an expensive computer off and add it back when the premiums 'had settled down' So now I am a double idiot for not insisting that it was added back earlier.

Just now I have rung back the head office and asked if there is any special consideration for idiots like me that donate things by mistake, she said she would check and ring me straight back, which she did and said she would get her manager to speak to the depot manager tomorrow and see what he says. I told her I would wade through garbage at the tip if I had to find it!! I feel so foolish and she said she has at least 10 calls a week of people wanting stuff back that they donated it by mistake but said it usually a CD or even tea towels they wanted back so she felt confident that I would be allowed to go.

so all is not lost but at least they have been really nice about it so far. What would you anyone else do? I will go insane if I have wait a month or should I stomp my feet and demand to be let in to retrieve my belongings??? technically they are not mine anymore as I 'donated' them sad.gif

Sorry for epic post but I have to get this off my chest as I cannot speak to another soul about this. TIA

#19 PatG

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Given that the charity is being helpful and have a good reason why it might take a while I think you should breathe and wait.  But keep calling them regularly for updates (i.e. keep reminding them).

#20 bek_p

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I don't know about the wait but they seam from your account to be very hopeful so I'm thining you will get them back but it's time to tell DH if you haven't already

#21 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Oh you poor thing.  Do you know where the depot is.  I would just turn up there and be really sad and lovely (think damsel in distress) and tell about your DH wanting to get it reset for Christmas and see if they will let you look.

#22 Tammy Swanson

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 10/12/2012, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given that the charity is being helpful and have a good reason why it might take a while I think you should breathe and wait.  But keep calling them regularly for updates (i.e. keep reminding them).

oh yes they are being so nice about it and I am so not the type to get all 'diva' on them but I always see in life that those who yell the loudest get answers. I know I can and will wait but the main thing I am just so worried about is that the ring was in a box that was not a proper jewellery or ring box but had a leather belt attachment in it as my theory was,( bear in mind that I was pregnant at the time) that robbers would go straight to jewellery looking box and take it rather than some no descriptive small box.

#23 Cat People

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I think considering the value and importance of the items, I would be stamping my feet.  I really don't understand their reasoning?

It would make more sense for you to go down and have a look - you will recognize the bag.

I know it might be a PITA for them, and you might be some crazy just wanting to steal stuff, but I would be pushing for something better than a month.

#24 Cat People

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

I read your up-date again and I would definitely get all 'diva' on them.  Anything could happen in a month.  And will all the staff over that month know what to look for?

#25 SilverSky

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

That sucks OP. Why can't you go and help as they say they have huge amounts of stuff to go through for Christmas? I would think they would need extra hands! Go down there and demand to be let in and help (but in a nice way!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.