Non Cheesy Christmas Music
Suggestions Please

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FarmBaby

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

I would like to buy some new Christmas music but don't want anything cheesy please. I bought a CD from the post office last year (I know, I was setting myself up for failure but it was so convenient) that turned out to be elevator music.

So far I own Tori Amos and Kings College Choir. I was thinking about Kate Ceberano maybe? I want something I can listen to in 5 years time and not cringe.

Edited by FarmBaby, 09 December 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#2 elmo_mum

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

the rockwiz xmas album!!

Track Listing:

Medley: All Alone On Christmas / Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) / Christmas Ain't Christmas Without The One You Love / Run Rudolph Run / All I Want For Christmas - The Wolfgramm Sisters, Jade Macrae and Joe Camilleri
Fairytale Of New York - Tex Perkins and Clare Bowditch
River - Tim Freedman and Angie Hart
Maybe This Christmas - Tim Freedman
Christmas Wrapping - Chelsea Wheatley and The Wolfgramm Sisters
How To Make Gravy - Paul Kelly, Dan Kelly and Ashley Naylor
Merry Christmas Everybody - Liam Finn, Paul Kelly, Tex Perkins, Clare Bowditch, Angie Hart, Jade Macrae, Tim Freedman, Angie Hart and Chelsea Wheatley
Little Drummer Boy - Tex Perkins and Tim Rogers
Medley: What Christmas Means To Me / This Christmas / Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas / Last Christmas - The Wolfgramm Sisters, Paris Wells and Abby Dobson
2000 Miles - Adalita
Christmas Time - Kasey Chambers and Bill Chambers
Just Like Christmas - Glenn Richards and Holiday Sidewinder
The Christmas Song - Sarah Kelly and Toby Martin
Hey Guys! It's Christmas Time - Dan Kelly and Sally Seltmann
Blue Christmas - Tex Perkins and Paris Wells
Christmas Train - Vika Bull and John Paul Young
Christmas (From Tommy) - Tim Rogers
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding - Joe Camilleri, Tim Rogers and The Wolfgramm Sisters

#3 Magnus

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Sufjan Stevens has a Christmas album. I can't remember what it is called, but it's just gorgeous.

#4 EBeditor

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

The Kate Kate Ceberano christmas album is nice. I also like Diana Krall, The Pogues Dairlytale of New York and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=Uvkp2QY4qEI

Spotify has lots of alternative playlists.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Diana Krall
Chris Isaac
Sarah mclachlan's is meant to be good too.

#6 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Might be cringe worthy to you but I listen to the Mariah Carey Christmas CD every year. I really like it. I have had it for quite some time and still love it.

#7 codswallop

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

For something a bit more classical - Benjamin Britten's "A Ceremony of Carols".
And of course there is always "Messiah" (and arguments rage re whether it's really for Christmas, but that's the tradition).

#8 ~Nic~

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Haven't listened to it yet, so it might be crap, but I am going to try the Michael Buble Christmas CD... no idea what it's like, but it has my all time favourite Christmas carol on it (Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas) so I don't really care what the rest of it is like.

#9 Born Slippy

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Weezer did a Christmas album. Some of the songs are available on YouTube.

I particularly like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIOfgAeS1vQ

#10 livvie7586

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Riotproof @ 09/12/2012, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris Isaac

that's who i have original.gif

#11 nellista

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Must look into some of these!

This gets listened to every christmas day at my parents house:

Frank Kelly's (Father Jack in Father Ted) Christmas Countdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbA1iSjVSdo

#12 TheGruffalo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

NOT Bob Dylan

#13 JuniPooks_

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Cee Lo's magic moment is groovy. One song features the muppets FFS original.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cee_Lo's_Magic_Moment

#14 CleverChook

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Like Trans Siberian Orchestra for a 'heavier' take on Christmas and Sufjan Stevens for something a bit hippy dippy. But my fav is Kate Rusby for some nice folksy stuff.

#15 gadfly271

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

'Ella wishes you a Swinging Christmas' by Ella Fitzgerald, if you like some jazz.

#16 adnama

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I was going to suggest Michael Bublè as well

#17 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have a Christmas CD callee "Sledged, the Other Side of Christmas" it's not available anymore but I'm sure it could be found on iTunes. Some so gs aren't suitable for kids though. There is even a song by Sonic Youth. Also, a song called "You Ain't Getting sh*t for Christmas"

#18 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (elmo_mum @ 09/12/2012, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the rockwiz xmas album!!

Track Listing:

Medley: All Alone On Christmas / Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) / Christmas Ain't Christmas Without The One You Love / Run Rudolph Run / All I Want For Christmas - The Wolfgramm Sisters, Jade Macrae and Joe Camilleri
Fairytale Of New York - Tex Perkins and Clare Bowditch
River - Tim Freedman and Angie Hart
Maybe This Christmas - Tim Freedman
Christmas Wrapping - Chelsea Wheatley and The Wolfgramm Sisters
How To Make Gravy - Paul Kelly, Dan Kelly and Ashley Naylor
Merry Christmas Everybody - Liam Finn, Paul Kelly, Tex Perkins, Clare Bowditch, Angie Hart, Jade Macrae, Tim Freedman, Angie Hart and Chelsea Wheatley
Little Drummer Boy - Tex Perkins and Tim Rogers
Medley: What Christmas Means To Me / This Christmas / Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas / Last Christmas - The Wolfgramm Sisters, Paris Wells and Abby Dobson
2000 Miles - Adalita
Christmas Time - Kasey Chambers and Bill Chambers
Just Like Christmas - Glenn Richards and Holiday Sidewinder
The Christmas Song - Sarah Kelly and Toby Martin
Hey Guys! It's Christmas Time - Dan Kelly and Sally Seltmann
Blue Christmas - Tex Perkins and Paris Wells
Christmas Train - Vika Bull and John Paul Young
Christmas (From Tommy) - Tim Rogers
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding - Joe Camilleri, Tim Rogers and The Wolfgramm Sisters

Where could I get this one? Is it from this year or is it an older one?

#19 AryaStar

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (TheGruffalo @ 09/12/2012, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NOT Bob Dylan

Whaaaa?!? This is my favourite Christmas song EVER. It is so deliciously fun and sprawling and demented and raucous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus

#20 CleverChook

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

I nearly forgot, James Taylor has a nice Christmas album too.

#21 Ella Minnow Pea

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

I really like Aimee Mann's One More Drifter in the Snow.
And I don't even like Christmas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.