'Fragile' Sydney DJs getting intense counselling

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#1 epl0822

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Article here: http://www.smh.com.au/national/fragile-syd...1209-2b36q.html

Another article here: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and...1208-2b28n.html
"Prank callers not to blame, say mental health experts"

For those of you who criticised or condemned the two radio DJs, what would your reaction be if one or both of them attempted to harm themselves as a result of the public condemnation?

For those who are hurling harsh criticism towards the DJs for being insensitive and immature and stupid, how are you any better?

PS- As somebody who experienced depression and suicidal thoughts, if anybody in a similar position is reading this, it DOES get better.

#2 JRA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

I would be horrified if the company did not organize counselling for them. Of course they should.

#3 *Lib*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm not surprised. If their call was what made her make the final choice to end her life or not, I guess they'll never know. But they'll always wonder if? It will be forever on their concience.

Edited by *Lib*, 09 December 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#4 intd242

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm not surprised at all, I'm sure they'll need it. The association with this event will be a heavy burden to bear.

I'd also think that Will & Kate would have been impacted by it too, given they were the main attraction of the event.

#5 LifesGood

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I actually do feel really sorry for these two DJs. Not as sorry as I do for the family of the deceased nurse though.

Pranks are always at someone else's expense so they are a form of bullying IMHO and therefore wrong.

But the two DJs could not have known that what they considered to be a bit of a joke would end this way and I'm sure they will suffer for it for many years to come. It is a good thing that they are receiving counselling - there would be nothing worse than if one or both of them harmed themselves due to this.

#6 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Remorse and guilt are horrible emotions that can be both misplaced and debilitating, or in other cases valuable feelings from which we can learn.

I do believe that the DJs (and more importantly the management who let it air) made very poor judgements. That they should now regret those judgements given the I unintended consequences I think is fair enough. Hopefully there will e wider Reflection by the media about appropriate behaviour.

But Feeling debilitating guilt, being themselves the victims of physical threats etc due to the overwhelming scale of media around this is not a good result for anyone though, and I do hope they are getting the help they will clearly be needing.

#7 PaperTiger

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

If one of them did so, would we see a thread of people saying 'Well they must have had something else going on, this must have just been the thing that pushed them over the edge, we weren't to know that they were so fragile and easily upset'?  And then would we maybe see some understanding about suicide and what can lead to it?

Edited by PaperTiger, 09 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#8 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#9 Cath42

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I don't feel sorry for anyone at 2Day FM. My wish for these two presenters is that they come to understand that there is nothing redeeming about working in trash radio, and that money and fame that comes to us from ill-gotten means is never fulfilling. My wish for the owners and managers of this station is that they come to understand that prank calls are not funny and that the culture of trash radio has to change.

Somehow, I hold out no hope for either outcome.

#10 ASDivine

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm finding it very hard to feel sorry for them. They had no problem leaving those two nurses to fend for themselves and cop a tirade of abuse. They even played the call over and over again to boost their ratings, knowing full well the abuse the nurses were copping, and they must have known they were going to suffer from it.
But when the tables are turned they close their twitter accounts, go into hiding and get support thrown in from every angle possible.    
Far more than the butt of their cruel prank had.

#11 PaperTiger

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (ASDivine @ 09/12/2012, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm finding it very hard to feel sorry for them. They had no problem leaving those two nurses to fend for themselves and cop a tirade of abuse. They even played the call over and over again to boost their ratings, knowing full well the abuse the nurses were copping, and they must have known they were going to suffer from it.
But when the tables are turned they close their twitter accounts, go into hiding and get support thrown in from every angle possible.    

Also, this.

#12 Hayleymumof3

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

, that there were likely other things going on. This is being said by leading psychiatrist Patrick McGorry.

Likely but unknown at this point.  I don't care who this Psychiatrist is unless the nurse WAS HIS PATIENT he has no knowledge of what was going on in her head.  

#13 CupOfCoffee

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I don't think anyone (of reasonable mind) wants anything to happen to the two DJs (I am glad they are getting support through this).  

We all (not just radio DJs, but society in general) need to think about the impacts our actions have on others.

I do feel sad for everyone involved, it has had tragic consequences and lots of lives have been forever (and not positively) changed.

#14 kadoodle

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

The worst feeling of guilt is that of well deserved guilt.  

While I think they were just the pawns here, as adults they should have known better.  Hopefully their example will aid in the shift of radio standards.

#15 Cath42

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (ASDivine @ 09/12/2012, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cclap.gif

#16 BadCat

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm glad they're getting counselling.  It must be really hard to deal with something that was purely intended as a joke (even a really stupid and nasty one) going so very wrong.

#17 Feral Becky

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (~Songbird~ @ 09/12/2012, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they are OK and can forgive themselves if they are indeed taking on the blame. No one deserves to endure that amount of pain and suffering when a death is involved.

One of those articles actually says what has been said, that there were likely other things going on. This is being said by leading psychiatrist Patrick McGorry.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and...l#ixzz2EXYowFNw

QUOTE (hayleymumof3 @ 09/12/2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Likely but unknown at this point.  I don't care who this Psychiatrist is unless the nurse WAS HIS PATIENT he has no knowledge of what was going on in her head.

I agree with hayleymum.

Pretty unprofessional of a psychiatrist to say what he did.

#18 Lady Garden

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 09/12/2012, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The worst feeling of guilt is that of well deserved guilt.

Agree.

#19 casime

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

I hope they are getting help over this.   I don't blame the DJs, they likely just made the calls at the direction of the producers, and then it was up to management and lawyers to decide if it was broadcast.  The station is allowing them to be made the scapegoats in this, when really the fault lies with managment.

#20 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#21 Mianta

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

The radio execs/ lawyers should have made a better decision. As a nurse and midwife, I know the impact that recieving that call would have made to my career.

I can also commiserate with the nurse involved. There is nothing more exhausting than night duty (she recieved the call at 5.30 in the morning) and trying to provide patient care, while manning the phones in the early hours of the morning. I know my judgement can be a little off at that time in the morning, when I have been working all night, particularly on a busy shift.

The DJs were disrespectful. It was a waste of time for the nurse to have to field such an absurd phone call. It was unfair of the DJs to put her in that position. Even if she didn't kill herself, she probably would have been disciplined severely and possibly lost her job. I know the hospital stated they were "supportive" but trust me, I know how these systems work. She would have been raked over the coals.

Sorry, I can't be sorry for them.Michael Christian was happily bragging about his successful prank and posting the soundbite to his Twitter account, before the suicide story hit. Only now that it's gone belly up, is he regretful.  

I hope they get through it because they are too young to handle this kind of stress in their jobs just yet, but if you are an adult, you should know the difference between right and wrong. They displayed very poor judgement. Their employers are to blame ultimately.

#22 Expelliarmus

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 09/12/2012, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they are getting help over this.   I don't blame the DJs, they likely just made the calls at the direction of the producers, and then it was up to management and lawyers to decide if it was broadcast.  The station is allowing them to be made the scapegoats in this, when really the fault lies with managment.

See this is what I have been wondering the entire time. What has been the role of the producers this entire time?

#23 chubbabub

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think the DJ's where just doing their jobs. If anyone is to blame, blame the producers of the show who decided it was a good idea, to first of all get the number, then to give the go ahead to proceed with the prank and then make the decision to play over and over again.

Knowing the attention this scandal had garnered world wide, these idiot producers must surely have known the humiliation these two nurses must have faced and should have issued a proper apology straight away and pulled any further use of the prank call from use.

As for the English media and all other media, they are disgusting hypocrites, hounding these two dj's, who had they known the tragic consequence of their call, would never have gone through with it. What human being would take part in a call thinking it would end in a nurse committing suicide?.

With the News of the World scandal, the English press are hardly examples of high moral standing and should leave these two kids alone before there are even more tragic circumstances to this case.

I feel terribly sad for the nurses's family, her suicide is something no one will ever know the real answers too, but hounding these two dj's, is tantamount to bullying, the exact same thing everyone is up in arms about regarding the call in the first place.

Its time to stop the witch hunt and acknowledge that this sort of prank call is par for the course for many of these stupid "popular" FM radio stations and if there wasn't an audience for these stupid pranks, they wouldn't be doing them in the first place.

People who listen  to these radio stations day in day out laughing at these inane calls and contributing towards their popularity, have no right now blaming anyone now these tragic turn of event's have taken place.

Would there be worldwide condemnation had it been Joe blow from Hicksville, who had committed suicide as a result of a radio prank call? Yes,  there would have been an outcry, but not to the extent this circus has become.

There are no winners in this sad situation, not poor Jacinta or her family, nor the two dj's who were just doing their job. These dj's now have to live for the rest of their lives with a suicide on their conscience and an angry mob who just want too see blood.

RIP Jacinta

#24 B.feral3

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 09/12/2012, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty unprofessional of a psychiatrist to say what he did.

I completely agree. Not everyone who kill themselves have a mental health condition. He's just reinforcing a stereotype. REALLY REALLY unprofessional.

#25 Feral Cancerian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Cath42 @ 09/12/2012, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't feel sorry for anyone at 2Day FM. My wish for these two presenters is that they come to understand that there is nothing redeeming about working in trash radio, and that money and fame that comes to us from ill-gotten means is never fulfilling. My wish for the owners and managers of this station is that they come to understand that prank calls are not funny and that the culture of trash radio has to change.
Somehow, I hold out no hope for either outcome.

If that were possible, the Sandilands 14 year old rape victim scandal would have done it. I think there must be some very hardened individuals at that station.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.