Whats your 5 year plan?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Feralishous

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

My FIL keeps asking us about our 5 year plan (he is preparing to retire).
Whats yours?

So far we have :
2013: Renovate laundry and games room (games room will become new master bedroom) I want to study second semester. Lose 30kg, visit relatives overseas
2014: DD off to kindy, fall pregnant with bub number 3
2015: ???
2016: Finish Masters. DS off to kindy, maybe fall pregnant with bub number 4
2017: Buy investment property and block of land (to maybe build in 2020), back to work for me for 6 months

#2 lisacat

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

I don't have it broken down in to years like you do, but my 5 year plan is

Finish uni degree
Stay with my current organisation until I finish uni
Once finish uni I hope to get a position as a preschool teacher
Paint inside of house
New blinds inside and out
Finish off the back yard
It would be great to have our first child, we are still deciding whether to try AC
Have paid down all debt so we only have home loan
DH & I lose 30kg each

DH & I are sitting down in the new year to break our goals down in to manageable sized pieces so it is not so overwhelming.

#3 cinnabubble

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

Why is it any of your FIL's business?

#4 adl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

DH is looking to retire in 5 or so years,  

Plan is to stay where he is for 1-2 more years and when they do next round f redundancies put hand up...then contract work 1-2 , earn much more, less stress and maybe not full time  or SAHD

Discussing where to live options , I am not keen to leave Sydney and tossing up my job as well as I probably have it secured but do I want to stay ??? But heading up to QLD is a thought

You have made me realise  we need to really knuckle it down more .....

#5 lozoodle

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

I don't really have anything set in stone.

The major things are, though:

- DP to get a vasectomy (thats more in the next few months type plan lol).
- Finish renovating our house, with view to selling in around 5-10 years (dependant on market at the time) and move closer to the beach.
- Buy another investment property.

Thats about it for me. I'm not a huge planner!

#6 MintyBiscuit

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Ours isn't broken down into years, but we have a rough idea

Pay off the personal loan which will mean our only debt is the mortgage and we can start paying a lot more off it. This will happen in the next six months.

I want to undertake study towards becoming a financial planner. Ideally I will have my study complete by the time DS and any future kids are at school.

Make a decision on #2. We're leaning towards TTC in early 2014, but still not 100% sure.

Have a holiday! DH and I have never been on a proper holiday together, so we're hoping to go on a cruise some time in early 2014

DH has a number of industry certifications he wants to complete and then working towards a masters. Hopefully within five years he'll also be working a bit closer to home as more workplaces move out this way.

We want to make a decision about our house and what the next step is. In 3-5 years we should be in a position to do something, but we're not sure whether it will be selling up and moving into something bigger, renovating this place or doing a full knock down and rebuild. There's also the option of moving and keeping this as an investment, but I'm much more cautious about that than DH and want a lot of contingency money in the bank before we go down that path.

#7 Fire_fly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

I have so much I want to do and I am dreaming big but hopefully I will get there.

2013- deck around the pool
          Shed for backyard
          Finish postgrad
          Lose that final 5kg
2014 - Honors year
           Move to Brisbane or Melbourne to a better uni.
           DD stars preschool
           Visit grandparents in UK
2015 Start Phd
2017- Finish Phd
         Pay off personal loans
         find a research position

Most of those are dependant on me rocking the next year of uni so it's head down bum up for the next 12mths

*Edited because I cant count!

Edited by Fire_fly, 10 December 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#8 Chchgirl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

I don't have a set 5 year plan, at the moment it's really just a 12 month plan of having my finger in a few pies and seeing which one I want to do.

I may move up the coast, or may go to NZ for 12 months or so. Will see in 12 months when I sell up and how much people annoy me and whether I want to get away or not!

Not so hard with just me and the kids, we can pretty much do what we want.

#9 cinnabubble

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

2015 Start Phd
2016 Finish Phd

I've never known anyone, regardless of their field, to finish a PhD in two years.

#10 kpingitquiet

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

2013: School for me, small renos, pay off debt, baby #2
2014: School for me, school for husband, small renos, pay off debt
2015: School for me, school for husband, small renos, pay off debt
2016: School for me, school for husband, small renos, pay off debt, school for kiddo #1
2017: Move.

#11 morgansacre

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

I'm not sure when each of these things will be done....

2012 finish the pool
Retile the main bathroom
Paint the inside and outside the house
Finish the railings on the deck
Finish the carport
Put the house up for sale after both my DDs leave home
Buy a caravan and travel around Australia for several years

Then either continue living in the caravan or go to a nice little retirement village. It's is over the next 5 years.

Lynn

#12 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Be wherever the breeze of life takes us. Because I hate predicting as you never know what is around the next corner. Therefore I no longer plan, I just enjoy the ride and hope I get to the destination in one, sane, piece ;-P

#13 Madeline's Mum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

2013 - Buy a house. Shed 20+kgs. Husband to go back to work or start FT study. I'll get my Prince 2 and/or Pymbok certs. Holiday to NYC and Texas.
2014 - Move to Texas or NYC for at least a year. House in Aus will become investment property.
2015 - DS to start Preschool. I'll start Project Managment job in financial services industry.

That's kinda all I've got original.gif

Edited by Madeline's Mum, 10 December 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#14 unicorn

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

We plan on getting the renovations finished on this house.
Buy another house, this time closer to town and it will be our forever home, we will rent this one out. So for that I need to change my employment status from student to full time employed.
Do some travelling,
Build up DH's business.
We have a couple of empty blocks of land we would like to build houses on too at some point in preparation for retirement.
So we have a fairly busy couple of years coming up.

#15 Feral_Pooks

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

No plans, dude. Except just to still be in this lovely house, watching my boy grow, DP by my side, with some furry friends and human friends... enjoying life.

#16 ~Feral~Summers

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Finishing a PhD in 1-2 years is really frowned upon (at least in my husband's field.) Even if it is of a pass standard, or brilliant, they usually want you to invest that expected third year so you're using your full potential. Depends on your field perhaps, though...Whether there is much research design or actual field research, etc.

Then again, my DH is doing in on an Aus. Post grad scholarship which funds him for three years, so it seems crazy for him to submit in less than that time and put pressure on himself when the funding is there. 100,000 words is a lot! I can understand why if you weren' on a scholarship, you'd have more motivation to finish earlier original.gif

#17 Fire_fly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 10/12/2012, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never known anyone, regardless of their field, to finish a PhD in two years.

Yeah thats because you cant and I obviously cant count either!  cool.gif
Not looking good for that phd if I cant edit my own post before I push that reply button!

#18 cinnabubble

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

As long as you field's not applied maths, I wouldn't worry too much original.gif.

#19 noi'mnot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, we don't really have anything in concrete.

A few more renovations finished on the house, just so that it doesn't fall over.

More space in the garden for veggies.

Maybe another baby?

Maybe a PhD for me?

A new career for my partner?

We're not too fussed!

Pooks - I just saw your sig - did you see the documentary last night on Freddie Mercury? It was quite ace. original.gif

#20 MrsLexiK

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Nothing, no 5 year plans no 10 years plans.  Just crusing along in whatever way life takes us.  Whether that is to upgrade the house, buy an investment property, have me finish a degree, have DH buy a business or whether we are still in the same house with no investment property in the same fields just older well I am not phased.

#21 Studybug

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

Off the top of my head,

2013 - welcome bub #2 hheart.gif !

Basic list of goals for next 5 years includes:

DH begin and complete study.  Change industry.
Me complete undergrad and hopefully honours year then work.  If no honours, hope there is still a such thing as grad positions in community services...Volunteer position once bub is a little older would be great.
In next 12-24 mths, get rid of minor debt that we've been happy to slowly pay off but which is now starting to bug us.
DS will start school - wow!
Buy a house.
We like an annual family holiday, not necessarily lavish, but hope to make it O/S for this at least once in the next 5 years.
Also, I would like to get back to proper lactose-free eating so I can feel healthy again.  Wouldn't mind losing some weight too.  I'm getting close to the age Mum was when she was diagnosed with diabetes, which has proceeded to really limit her life so I guess I'm starting to evaluate my habits.

That's it!

#22 ~polly~

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Mine's short and sweet - have a baby or 2 if we're lucky original.gif

#23 Neriah is Feral

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

2013- 2014: finish undergraduate degree
End of 2014: get married and have honeymoon
2015-2016: do Masters degree
2017: have baby # 1
2018: find job and start certification process

ETA: This is the plan right now. All of these things have to happen but the order gets changed from time to time.

Edited by Neriah, 10 December 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#24 Angelot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Next year, finish my diploma, get this house ready to rent out (DH work full time).
2014-2015: Be ordained.  My first curacy.  DH to be SAHD.  
2016-2017: My second curacy.  DD kinder/FYOS.  DH to be SAHD, think about retrain/consult/work PT once DD starts kinder.

It looks very neat, but no doubt life will want to mess things up a bit!  But I can't stand not having a plan; the idea of just cruising makes me very anxious!

#25 wilding

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Work hard, play hard or go home  happy.gif

Other than that, nothing really set in stone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.