Merry Christmas from the Mainstreet Gang
Aussie Shepherd elves.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

Yesterday we did our annual Christmas dogs photoshoot. I set up the "studio" in the kitchen, using the various appliances to hold the backdrop in place. The gas rings on the stove were used to tether the lights and tinsel, then I got the dogs.
One decided she knew what to do and positioned herself in place, and as soon as I popped a hat on her head, she absconded.
One thought spinning in circles of excitement was gonna get him a treat faster.
One took one look at the setting and vanished out the back door.
One went and hid. And one hung around tripping me up just in case I had something for her to eat.

But all were persuaded to pose, and they all ended up having fun, with the help of some dog chocolates.

So here are the Aussie Shepherd Christmas elves of 2012, with very best wishes from Mainstreet kennels.

Dusty is the elf who represents all the children who aren't getting what they want for Christmas. See that look of displeasure......

Isaak is the elf for the kids who are planning a dawn raid on the pressies. Notice that cheeky but completely innocent grin.......

Shae is the elf for the adults who are just over it. Thank goodness it only comes once a year, once a decade would be plenty........

Ripley is the elf of Christmas cheer. His big happy smile represents all that is fun about Christmas.......

And Jessica wishes all the parents, kids and pets a happy and safe festive season.......

#2 MarthaJones

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

You either have some very well behaved puppies or some major patients  biggrin.gif .

Very cute doggies.
Wish my two dogs would keep still long enough to get a picture, let alone wear reindeer ears for me.

#3 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Awwww. wub.gif

You certainly nailed the descriptions too! laughing2.gif They have such animated faces!

#4 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Gorgeous  wub.gif

#5 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hahaha, both patience and good dogs. But also lots of experience and plenty of tricks up my sleeve. I have a friend with a 10 week old German Shorthaired Pointer puppy. She wanted pics of him but said there was no way I'd get him to pose. I did, I had him sitting on a chair for me and I got some wonderful photos.

Don't underestimate your dogs willingness to please you. If you show them what to do (ie, keep putting them back in place and tell them to stay there), they eventually get the idea. Lots of praise, lots of treats, and if you're a beginner, an extra person helps.
But I did my guys on my own yesterday. The ones who wouldn't keep hats on heads got tinsel around their necks. I had the background set up with more tinsel and lights so that even if I couldn't put anything on the dog, the photos would still look festive and Christmassy.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 10/12/2012, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awwww. wub.gif

You certainly nailed the descriptions too! laughing2.gif They have such animated faces!

Dusty was the first model and when she realised I had doggy chocolates, she tried to be in EVERY photo. In fact, most of the pics were taken with her between me and the subject because she thought if she got in front of the camera, she'd get a treat. But no way was she gonna look like she was enjoying it! LOL!

#7 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

That is awesome! Next year I might try to get Christmas pics of the dogs... or if I am brave this weekend

#8 claptrap

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Jessica is still my favourite, OP!

DS was disappointed that they're not Bernese Mountain Dogs but still says that they are "oh so cute".

#9 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (dogged @ 10/12/2012, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jessica is still my favourite, OP!

DS was disappointed that they're not Bernese Mountain Dogs but still says that they are "oh so cute".

My husband loves Bernese Mountain dogs....he'd seen plenty of photos of them, then one day I dragged him across a dog show to meet one. And he never realised they were quite THAT big! LOL!

I love them too, but they don't live long enough and I'm not about to hand over my heart on an 8 or 9 year contract.

Isaak often gets mistaken for one, but I think the people who ask if he's a BMD have never actually seen one in the flesh. Isaak is about 21 inches at the shoulder and weighs around 22 kgs. He is considerably smaller and lighter.

#10 eilca

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I have decided that I would like you to set up a blog and fill it daily with your photos of your dogs.  Simply beautiful and make me smile each time.  I will show my girls tomorrow when they are awake.

#11 la di dah

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

They are beautiful. Just very beautiful dogs.

I've always thought merles sort of all look alike but I wouldn't confuse Shae and Ripley I don't think. Very different expressive faces.

#12 la di dah

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I've always thought merles sort of all look alike but I wouldn't confuse Shae and Ripley I don't think. Very different expressive faces.

#13 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 10/12/2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None of them look alike. Once you get entrenched in the breed you can easily recognise individual dogs, different families etc. None of my tris look alike, they all have very different faces and different builds. None if my dogs are related to each other with the exception of Ripley and Dusty. They have the same grandfather but neither if them resemble him at all. He was a huge winning imported dog and he's the grandfather of a lot of Aussies in this country.

#14 joy07

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Your dogs are beautiful.  Saw a thread where you had photos of them before. Real stunners they are and I love your character descriptions of their personalities.  You mentioned something about them being calmer than some other working dog breeds?

I have a rescue dog that has two different breed types listed on vet paperwork. One is border collie cross the other is Aussie shep.  

She has one really bad trait and even though she loves learning new things we have tried everything this past year to stop her jumping on everyone and mouthing us.  She can be dangerous because her little nips when she jumps are often close to faces, adults.  We have kids, so their faces are easier to get to. She doesn't mean to hurt, she is actually really caring.  But now no visitors want to go outside because she hurts. Our kids are ok, she gets excited for a tiny bit and settles quickly with them, especially our youngest DD 6

#15 FiveAus

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE (joy07 @ 10/12/2012, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your dogs are beautiful.  Saw a thread where you had photos of them before. Real stunners they are and I love your character descriptions of their personalities.  You mentioned something about them being calmer than some other working dog breeds?

I have a rescue dog that has two different breed types listed on vet paperwork. One is border collie cross the other is Aussie shep.  

She has one really bad trait and even though she loves learning new things we have tried everything this past year to stop her jumping on everyone and mouthing us.  She can be dangerous because her little nips when she jumps are often close to faces, adults.  We have kids, so their faces are easier to get to. She doesn't mean to hurt, she is actually really caring.  But now no visitors want to go outside because she hurts. Our kids are ok, she gets excited for a tiny bit and settles quickly with them, especially our youngest DD 6

Unusual to hear about an Aussie Shepherd cross in this country. I'm sure there are some, but they are really unusual. Breeders keep their lines very close, and are very, very careful about who buys their puppies and they're generally sold with conditions to desex the pup by a certain age, and all the breeders I know follow up to make sure it's done.

Nipping while jumping is hard core herding behaviour. She's trying to get you to move along to where she wants you. Try a herding trick........use a stick, about the length of a walking stick and always carry it with you outside. When she approaches you to jump, slam the end of the stick down onto the ground and say "NO!" She won't go where the stick is. When she moves to come in from another angle, do the same thing.

We use that trick at herding to get the dog to move where we want them to move to.......wherever we put the stick, the dog will veer away and go in the opposite direction. So if I don't want the dog in front of me, I place the stick in front of me and she has to go behind me and the sheep, and that teaches her to keep the sheep together and to stay behind me with them.

#16 joy07

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 11/12/2012, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unusual to hear about an Aussie Shepherd cross in this country. I'm sure there are some, but they are really unusual. Breeders keep their lines very close, and are very, very careful about who buys their puppies and they're generally sold with conditions to desex the pup by a certain age, and all the breeders I know follow up to make sure it's done.

Nipping while jumping is hard core herding behaviour. She's trying to get you to move along to where she wants you. Try a herding trick........use a stick, about the length of a walking stick and always carry it with you outside. When she approaches you to jump, slam the end of the stick down onto the ground and say "NO!" She won't go where the stick is. When she moves to come in from another angle, do the same thing.

We use that trick at herding to get the dog to move where we want them to move to.......wherever we put the stick, the dog will veer away and go in the opposite direction. So if I don't want the dog in front of me, I place the stick in front of me and she has to go behind me and the sheep, and that teaches her to keep the sheep together and to stay behind me with them.

Thanks for the suggestion FiveAus. That is something I haven't tried. Might freak out our little dog, but she knows how much we have been trying to stop our bigger one from jumping.  Sometimes our little one runs over to get inbetween us to stop us from being jumped on.

#17 Chelli

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

How gorgeous is that! Thanks for sharing original.gif

#18 joy07

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

FiveAus, I took a long walking type cane out and I didn't even need to slam it down and say no. She just moved away and didn't attempt to jump at or on me, although she tried two different angles and I just moved the stick and she just calmed down.

#19 FiveAus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (joy07 @ 13/12/2012, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FiveAus, I took a long walking type cane out and I didn't even need to slam it down and say no. She just moved away and didn't attempt to jump at or on me, although she tried two different angles and I just moved the stick and she just calmed down.

Yay! That's fantastic. Glad t worked. I've also recommended that method for getting a dog to stop surging ahead of the owner when walking......she just blocked the way with the stick and the dog stayed back next to her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.