Charlie and Lottie

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FutureMama

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi all,

I am writing this as I have received many conflicting answers from friends and family over the matter. My OH and I will start trying for a Bubby in the next few years, and there is a high chance we may have twins  biggrin.gif We have both decided we love the names Charlotte (nn. Lottie) and Charlie for male/female twin set. We also love the name Audrey, but would prefer it for a single girl, rather than twins. Other names we like are Olivia (nn. Livvie) and Elizabeth (nn. Libby). So what do you think, are Charlie and Lottie too close? What about if they weren't twins? Thanks

#2 casime

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Charlotte and Charlie are way too close.   Even for siblings it's bad enough, but for twins it is cringeworthy.  Bit like Peter and Peta.

#3 Z-girls rock

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I think Charlotte and Charlie are way too close.

Lizette is a nice name and then you can shorten to Zetty or Lizzy. Charlie and Zetty or Charlie and Lizzy is very nice and not too similar.

I also think Livvy and Libby are wayyyy to close.
Or Livvy and Lottie or Lottie and Libby - all too close.

Even though the original names Charlotte, Olivia and Elizabeth are all different sounding and fine as firstnames I think if you are going to shorten them all then you need to get some differnt sounds into the mix.

Like using Beth for Elizabeth instead of Libby. Or using the other name you like, Audrey which is a lovely choice.

#4 FutureMama

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Thanks, for your reply original.gif Is it just as bad if we always call her Lottie?

Also we like William for a boys name, we also like Oliver (nn. Ollie) but not with an Olivia! (As it would be Charlotte and Charlie and Olivia and Oliver...Yuck!)

Thanks

#5 Ianthe

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Charlotte and Charlie and not good.

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Charlotte and Charlie are far too close. Charlie and Lottie isn't much better, it makes me think you are trying to copy Charlie and Lola but spelling it wrong

#7 FutureMama

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi, thanks for all your replies original.gif

@Z-girls Rock - thanks, but I wouldn't have a Livvie, Libby and Lottie, I would probably only use Lottie and maybe Libby.  Libby is a special name for us, so it would have to be Libby, not Beth, but thanks. And we are definitely having an Audrey, we just didn't want to use the name for twins original.gif

@Bluenomi - who are Charlie and Lola?

#8 Pompol

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

I absolutely love the names Charlie and Charlotte, especially Lottie for nn, and Olivia and Elizabeth, but not together, sorry OP. I just don't think matchy matchy twin or sibling names work. But in isolation I think your style of name is beautiful original.gif

#9 FutureMama

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

@Pompol - thank you original.gif We weren't trying to get matchy matchy names, OH adores the name Audrey, Lottie, Charlie, Oliver and Olivia, annd I love Audrey, Charlie, Lottie, Elizabeth and William. I didn't even think about how close Charlie and Lottie (When you use Charlotte) was until last night!

Do any of our names blend well as a 3 or 4 child sibset?

#10 Bluenomi

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (FutureMama @ 10/12/2012, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, thanks for all your replies original.gif

@Z-girls Rock - thanks, but I wouldn't have a Livvie, Libby and Lottie, I would probably only use Lottie and maybe Libby.  Libby is a special name for us, so it would have to be Libby, not Beth, but thanks. And we are definitely having an Audrey, we just didn't want to use the name for twins original.gif

@Bluenomi - who are Charlie and Lola?

A kids tv show/books. Trust me, once you have kids you'll know all about them!

#11 BabyBumbleBee

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Charlotte nickname Lottie and Charlie are verging on moronic choices for siblings, let alone for twins. Even just Lottie, not Charlotte and Charlie together would be odd enough.

#12 Schmig

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

i'm going to buck the trend here. I always wanted a boy and girl and to have a Charlotte and in my case Oliver so Lottle and Ollie. I have an Audrey instead at the moment as Charlotte is way too popular for me now. I still love Charlie.

I don't get everyone's obsession with names going well together. The name belongs to the individual child. It should suit them throughout their life. This sibset thing is a strange idea to me.

#13 Cheese Sandwich

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Shouldn't this be in the baby names?

#14 Z-girls rock

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (FutureMama @ 10/12/2012, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Z-girls Rock - thanks, but I wouldn't have a Livvie, Libby and Lottie, I would probably only use Lottie and maybe Libby.

yeah, I didnt say that.

If you read my post. I said all the names sound too similar.

Livvy and Libby - too similar.

Lottie and Libby - too similar.

Lottie and Livvy  - too similar.

that was the point I was making.

Of course this is all your choice and if you want to ignore everyone  name your children matchy rhymingname that is your bussiness.

I think all kids - especially twins. like their own independent names.

QUOTE (Bill Oddie @ 10/12/2012, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shouldn't this be in the baby names?

yes it should.

#15 SkyeMummy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I had to try very hard not to automatically say Charlie and Lola

I think the same as Z-girls rock

#16 Sharlie2878

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

As a Charlotte I just have to say I have and always will hate Lottie, I don't know a lot of Charlotte's but the one I do also hate it. Charlie on the other hand is perfectly acceptable as a nickname for all of them

#17 FutureMama

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

@Schmig - Thank you so much! I thought that Charlie and Lottie sound cute together, and I love Ollie and Audrey as well! I am not so fussed the whole matching sibset thing, I would just like my kids names to sound good together. My sister has three boys, and their name are Alexander, Xavier and Maxwell. I don't think these names sound any good at all, and they don't even match the boys personalities, so that is why I have realised that I want my kids names to sound goo d together.

#18 FutureMama

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

@ Bill - I am new here and didn't know how to post it there, sorry

@Z-girls rock - I am sorry if I upset you, I just wanted to provide more info on the situation. Your advice was really helpful, and I am taking everyones opinions into consideration. Thanks again

#19 Therese

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have moved this to baby names original.gif

#20 FutureMama

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

@Therese - Thank you so much biggrin.gif

#21 Z-girls rock

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (FutureMama @ 10/12/2012, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Bill - I am new here and didn't know how to post it there, sorry

@Z-girls rock - I am sorry if I upset you, I just wanted to provide more info on the situation. Your advice was really helpful, and I am taking everyones opinions into consideration. Thanks again

not uspset - just crabby today. some times get picky about people reading things correctly. Maybe I am an EB cow... wandered over from the "all EB members are cow's" thread. LOL

#22 LittleYellowBirdie

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I like Charlie.  I am not a fan of Charlotte but i like Lottie or Lotta.  Maybe just use it as Charlie and Lottie.  I prefer Charlize rather than Charlotte.

I love Audrey and it's my DD's name.  I also like Lisbeth.  I am not fan of nick name so if you like the nickname, maybe just use it as the first name instead.

I don't like Oivia but like Liv or Livvy.  I saw a flower name Elivia, i thought it's quite pretty. Or maybe just Livia as the girl name.

good luck for your future baby/ies.  

It's handy to have names ready before baby IMO, so no crazy hormone involved.

#23 Buggylicious

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I think your sister's son's names are good together, a little too matchy for my liking. It's pretty hard to tell if a name will suit a child's personality when they're a newborn baby but I hardly ever met people and think "geez your name is all sorts of wrong for you".

I think Charlie and Charlotte are too similar, all the nicknames are too similar I think with the girls names you could use Audrey and then pick which one you like best out of the others or go with different nicknames.

#24 BabyBumbleBee

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (FutureMama @ 10/12/2012, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My sister has three boys, and their name are Alexander, Xavier and Maxwell. I don't think these names sound any good at all, and they don't even match the boys personalities, so that is why I have realised that I want my kids names to sound goo d together.

This is quite a good sibset and I actually think these names sound well chosen to go together.

#25 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

DD1 is Charlotte and she hates Lottie. DD gets very annoyed if anyone dares to call her that or Charlie which is another common nickname for Charlotte. She likes to be called Charlotte.

So you might want to call your future DD lottie but she might have other ideas.

I also agree that Charlie and Charlotte (Charlie/lottie) are too matchy, too close.. kinda silly for twins and non twins siblings. Sorry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.