Hmm, sleeping arrangements

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tessied

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

I must be missing an obvious solution Tounge1.gif

We have four large dogs (Collie Rough) and I would prefer them to sleep inside at night as one is a barker.  However one of them who is now 10 and deaf as a post, is a really big pain at night when left to his own devices.  He will open fridges, cupboards, doors etc and find food, or he will poo if he feels like it.   He will automatically poo in a crate so that is out too!  

So I have been letting two in, and leaving the other two outside so that the 10 year old isn't alone.

The house can't be blocked off with gates or anything, just isn't possible, so any ideas?    They all used to sleep inside but since he's become old and just not trustworthy inside, it's been a bit confusing.

#2 Oh My......

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Could you put dogs on a lead and tie it under a chair? I did this for a short while with a dog bed and now they come inside and right to their bed unless called over

#3 Tessied

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Nah, he will just walk around with the chair attached to him.  Seriously, heh.  He is like a bull in a china shop now that he's deaf, just walks around doing what he wants!  

I can't even lock him in the laundry area as he can open the door (sliding door).

#4 Jenferal

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

can you stick a wedge in the laundry door? A rubber wedge used to work for our dog. baby gate on the laundry area?

#5 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

We attached latches to our sliding doors to stop out dog opening them. Its very easy to do, we've got one where you swing the hook bit into a hole thing attached to the door.

#6 Therese

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I am sorry but I did giggle at him opening fridges and walking around with a chair attached to him. I know it would be very annoying but it is sort of cute original.gif

He's very determined.

#7 Tessied

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hmm a latch might be the idea...the laundry area is huge as it's open plan with a hallway etc so it's more than big enough for him overnight and a latch will be big enough to let the cat slip through there too.  

Therese - you have to love him,  he's just a food obsessed dog.  He recently cost us 3k in vet bills (3k we don't have!) because he decided it was a good idea to swallow a turkey wing whole.   A week later in intensive care...

#8 Therese

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Oh dear...I'm glad he's ok but that is one hell of a bill.

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Yes - see the crate training thread at the top of the Pet Section.

Happy indoor dogs, who can't wander through the house all night long... wink.gif

And yes, you can introduce crates at any point in a dog's life.

#10 Tessied

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I already mentioned he will poo in the crate, without fail, each time. We tried feeding him in the morning etc etc, nope...sees a crate, poos.

#11 casime

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I don't like mine wandering the house at night, so I have them in the bedroom with a baby gate across the door.

#12 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Crates are designed to be cleaned. Carpets, not so much.

If he's getting old and you need to contain him because he's injuring himself or doing damage to the house, then cleaning poo is the least of your worries.

Does he poo straight away? Because if he goes quite quickly after being crated, you can pop him in until its close to poop time, then pop him outdoors for his business, then recrate. Don't forget to praise him for going outdoors!!!

#13 Tessied

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yeah I know but waking up to poo every morning is not my idea of fun, heh.  He poos at some time in the night and then scatters it everywhere.  After the fifth night of waking up to that I put him outside.

I'm thinking I could bring out the huge wooley dog bed we have and let him sleep in the garage at night for now until I get a latch on and try out the laundry area.

#14 la di dah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

How many toilets does your house have? I would be very tempted to shut him in a bathroom, (contained, washable surfaces) with the dog bed.

#15 Tessied

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Two but the laundry has no door for just the laundry, just a sliding door which closes the laundry, toilet, bathroom and a bedroom off from the rest of the house.  He can open
that door, so I'd have to get the latch on first.  The only problem might be that the cat
also uses that area and she'll have to fit through that door!

#16 ~ppp~

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

dowling rod to keep the laundry door closed?

#17 belbelchic

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

dont chain him up, i lost a dog that way... cry1.gif

#18 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I still think that crating him is the obvious solution. Five days is insufficient to TT a dog, when he clearly doesn't know what is expected. I can understand why you found it unpleasant, but you gave up too soon.

If he does a poo in a crate 'sometime' at night, the obvious response is to TT him properly for the crate. Sure that involves you getting out of bed until he's learnt to save the poo for outdoors, but a bit of effort would easily get you the desired results. The best place to do this is to crate him in your room so you can react to the disturbance that happens before a dog poos - you know, turning around in circles and 'lining up' the drop zone.

I'd suggest that you and your partner take turns - the first night, someone goes to bed really late, and someone is booked to get up really early, to let the dog out for a final pit stop. If you can fit in two trips to the great out doors (one each) between those times, he will get the message. After a week of the poo happening in the right place, you drop a middle of the night pit stop. A week later, you drop the other. A week after that, you go to bed at a normal time.... and so on.

IN all of this, its really, really important to praise him when he's outdoors and more important to go over the top with praise when he poos outdoors.

#19 FiveAus

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

If he's quiet outside at night, I'd be inclined to leave him there. It's not cold at the moment and even if it gets a bit cool, he has a big coat on. My dogs frequently sleep outside during the summer, they prefer the cool grass to bring indoors. If they bark they get hauled inside quick smart, but usually they just lie down and go to sleep, the same as they do indoors.

#20 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

If you're really against the crate training... what about a pet gate for the laundry door instead of a lock on the sliding door?

We have a pet gate across our laundry door. We used the pet gate because we've had Elly indoors 100% for a few months now (other than walks) because of her doing her cruciate. When we leave her outside with Bandit alone they run around too fast and she injures herself again. The cats like to visit her and curl up in her bed with her, plus it stops the laundry from getting too hot or cold.

#21 BlackWolf

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

We had a cat door installed into our wooden sliding door, this might work for you original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.