Nodule on lung

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 packysmum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

My mums doctor has just found a nodule on my mums lung. She's had a cough and shortness of breath for months. The doctor at first put it down to infection and shes been on antibiotics but it hasnt cleared. She had an xray a few months ago and it wasn't there but had another xray last week and they have found it. She used to smoke years ago. The doctors sending her for a ct scan tomorrow and he said it is good that it hasn't branched out. What's the chances of the results tomorrow being good news? I know there's a possibility it could be cancer but I'm trying to stay positive for her. Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Good & bad ?
TIA

#2 lamarque

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Sorry, no advice but just wanted to wish your Mum all the best.   original.gif

#3 packysmum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Sorry, no advice but just wanted to wish your Mum all the best.

Thanx

#4 FlutterbyBlue

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have nodules on my lungs.  They were found about 3 1/2 years ago, I had one follow up CTscan 6 months later, and they had not grown appreciably so nothing was done.

I am having another CT scan on Wednesday, if they still show no significant growth, that will be it.  No more follow up necessary.

Good luck to your Mum, I hope all goes well. bbighug.gif

#5 Therese

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Good luck to your mum packysmum.

And FlutterbyBlue I hope your scan on Wednesday goes well too.

#6 Chookin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

During the diagnosis of my mums liver cancer there were a few tiny nodules on her lungs. They were 4mm so too small for PET scans to detect as cancer and they haven't disappeared with the chemo which is good as that means they are just nodules or scarring. So what I am trying to say is that oncologist said that nodules on lungs are quite common and if people have had bad cases of bronchitis over the years they scar the lungs.
Good luck, hope all is well.

#7 naturalgoodness

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

I had nodules on my lungs that showed up in a CT scan. I had a cough and shortness of breath that was not asthma. I also smoked for a good number of years. It was not until after I quit smoking that the symptoms started.

It was initially thought that I had cancer and undertook numerous scans. It turns out they were granulomas from sarcoidosis (lung effected) which I am managing and is not life threatening.

It is possible for things to turn out not to be cancer - I hope this is the case for your mother  original.gif

#8 FlutterbyBlue

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

How did your Mum go, do you know yet?

Thank you Therese, I will find out next week sometime. biggrin.gif

#9 Mousky

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

So many things can cause nodules. My mum has one, they first thought it was from exposure to tb in her nursing years, then thought it was from bronchitis, and the new theory is that it's from a bout of phenomia some time in the past. Good luck to your mum I sincerely hope it's something minor.

#10 Dani

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I wish your Mum all the best and I'm sure it'll be nothing......I know the nodules I have on my lungs are from an autoimmune disease I have called "Sarcoidosis".  As the PP said there are any number of reasons for lung nodules and not all are sinister (they just need v. close monitoring by a good pulminologist.)

#11 packysmum

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thanx for everyone's replies so far and support.
Mum had her ct scan on Monday and she's just called me and said her gp's surgery just called her and said they are referring her to a respiratory clinic at the hospital. She asked the receptionist is she needed to see her go for her results of scan but she said no just to go to clinic. She also tried to get some kind of results or an idea of what it is, but of course the receptionist wouldn't say anything. So we still aren't sure exactly what's going on?!

#12 naturalgoodness

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

That was what happened to me too - referred straight to respiratory clinic at the hospital. It is there that all the testing was done to ascertain exactly what my issue was. Hopefully your Mum is triaged quickly and put high up on the list to get a quick appointment.

#13 packysmum

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Bit of an update. Still no closer to having any results. Mno news on the lung nodule. Mum has been back to gp several times again. She was in a lot of pain under her arm and around to the back of her lungs. She's had several X-rays/ct scans. Gp has treated her for pleurisy. Antibiotics helped with pain for about 3 days. Now pain is back and she's found a lump on her chest above her breast. She been for another xray & ct scan today. She hasn't been to respitory clinic yet, another 2 weeks her appointment is. I was hoping it was just pleurisy, but now this lump has appeared I'm worried.

#14 great8

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

packysmum - I feel for you and my fingers are crossed that everything turns out ok.  I know that horrible feeling of waiting and waiting and the worry that comes with all of it.

Just been through similar.

My thoughts are with you and your mum.

bbighug.gif

#15 packysmum

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Great8.  Thanx for yr kind words....yeah the waiting is the worst!

#16 packysmum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just an update and unfortunately it's not good. My mum has lung cancer. I'm still I'm shock, we only found out today. I took her to hospital cause she started coughing blood. Tomorrow she's having more tests to see if its gone any further. I can't believe this is happening ....

Just an update and unfortunately it's not good. My mum has lung cancer. I'm still I'm shock, we only found out today. I took her to hospital cause she started coughing blood. Tomorrow she's having more tests to see if its gone any further. I can't believe this is happening ....

#17 FeralEsme

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'm so sorry. It is such a shock when you first get the news. It'll take a few days for the dust to settle and more time still for the news to sink in. I hope your Mum gets good care and treatment.

Take care.

#18 beaglebaby

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I'm so sorry, after so much messing around with testing and treatment this must really be hurting.  I hope they now treat her quickly.

#19 packysmum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Thank u for the support.... I just hope they can treat my mum.... I'm really scared of losing her

#20 great8

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Oh gosh, I am so sorry.  It is the type of lung cancer that will determine the outcome, my Mum was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer.

I truly hope that it is a slow growing cancer and one that can be treated.

I feel horrible for you because I know how you are feeling.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

#21 naturalgoodness

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I am sorry to hear it turned out to be lung cancer. In my early days I can remember doing a fair bit of looking at cancer when I was waiting.

I hope you Mum can be treated and recover.

#22 packysmum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Mum had an endoscopy this arvo. Not good news. She also had a bronchial tumour.  It's obstructing her airways. It' s also in her bones . BrĂ in scan tomorrow. They think less than 6months .im shattered

#23 great8

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I am so very sorry for your Mum and for you and the rest of the family, that is such terrible news.

My Mum was found to have 6 brain tumours the same day the lung cancer was diagnosed.

If there is anything you need, feel free to PM me.

I wish it were different for you.

Edited by great8, 22 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#24 packysmum

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Well we got bone scan results yesterday...not good. It's in her collarbone,shoulder blade,rib,pelvis and upper left leg.im numb, I'm scared....she's going to come and live with us so my brother and I can care for her and spend time with her. We r going to see the oncologist for the first time on Thursday, I don't know what to expect from the appointment . I know it's not operable, and it doesn't sound treatable either. So maybe they'll just talk about managing the pain. She's been in a lot of pain, it's under control now with
Endone & oxycodone. I think I'm still in disbelief!  cry1.gif

#25 Lil Chickens

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm so sorry that you got this news.  My mum was diagnosed with lung cancer about 4 months ago and has just finished VERY intensive radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

Her tumour was on an airway into the lung and caused the lung to collapse.  She was treated for emphysema first with her history of smoking.

Mum is now having radiotherapy on her brain (as a preventative measure apparently).

Mum was in a lot of pain with her small cell carcinoma and it was managed with endone and oxycodone as well.

Cancer is a truly awful disease.  It has taken my husband's aunty and will very soon take his uncle.  I am just hoping against hope it doesn't take my mum before she sees her grandchildren grow up.

I hope they can do something for your mum beyond just pain management.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.