Nerds unite!
spinoff from bogan thread

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 FaithHopeLove

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Just a fluff thread so all us nerds (or dorks or geeks, whichever title you prefer) to revel in our nerdiness.

I am a nerd for many, many reasons but here are a few to get us started:

i love excel. no really - we are in a committed relationship. i not only use it for  work but for all my planning. even holidays.

I love the bbc geek shows including QI, merlin and dr who.

I own all seven seasons of buffy.

I love it when the date is symmetrical - really looking forward to writing it on wednesday 12/12/12!

Anyone care to join me? I happen to know othere are a few on here (love you guys!)

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

If I could spend my day analysing data extracted and dumped into excel I would be in heaven.

Buffy, firefly are favourite items here.

Lego is not just for kids. DH has to remind me to let them play too.

#3 kadoodle

I love David Attenborough doccos.

BBC sci fi rules the world.

Don't even try to talk to me about fluff during an election, especially while Anthony Green or Kerry O'Brian are talking.

I prefer pallendromic dates to repeating patterns.

#4 Liv_FERAL_sh

Nerd from way back....

I used to be a labrat scientist, need I say more!

I have all the usual nerdy accoutrements like all the <insert any scifi fantasy thing in here>

I also had one of my proudest mummy moments the other day when DS grabbed a darth vadar mask and lightsabre (in the correct colour) off the shelf at K-mart, gave them to me saying "You be Darth Vader Mummy and I'll be Luke Skywalker and we'll fight on the deathstar"

I am also outrageously excited about the release of this movie next year
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

#5 Angelot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm grumpy about the Star Trek reboot; I am instinctively a purist.

And I'm wearing this t-shirt today:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/115151067/ladi...=af_you_favitem

I used to spend my day analysing data in excel, but I don't get to do that any more.  But I use excel for everything from organising my name lists to planning my gardening.

I particularly like numbers when they are divisible by three.  I'm not sure that's a nerd thing rather than just an odd quirk, though.

#6 FaithHopeLove

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

roll2.gif yay nerds!

Kids toys (esp lego) rock.

Did you guys hear there was a 10 year firefly reunion aired in the US? I dont know how but i will see it!

#7 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I was into Apple before all the cool kids original.gif

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Already watched the firefly reunion

#9 kadoodle

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Ange, I so want that shirt for DS1.  He's my geekbaby, knew how to prepare a microscope slide before he could tie his shoes.

#10 (feral)epg

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Is it possible to be a nerd AND a bogan all at the same time?

#11 Iliketoflounce

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

fhl i am not a nerd (yes i am in denial)

#12 FaithHopeLove

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 10/12/2012, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am hideously jealous!!!

#13 ubermum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

I don't label myself. I have traits some people would consider nerdy, some that are geeky and some that are bogan.

I'm unique.

#14 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (FaithHopeLove @ 10/12/2012, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love it when the date is symmetrical - really looking forward to writing it on wednesday 12/12/12!

Me too! We are getting married on 13/4/13 (note they also all add to 4 wink.gif

QUOTE (epg @ 10/12/2012, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must be because I am... I have rottweilers, 3/4 pants and a backyard that looks like a tip. I use french onion soup mix to cook stuff. I'm a certified bogam.

I also am a maths teacher with a computer science degree. I got excited when I saw that Ada Lovelace was on Google today. I have a LARGE number of geeky/maths tshirts. I have a huge number more that I want to get. I have a decent collection of calculus and analysis text books.

Not sure where the motorcycle riding and cake decorating fit into either of those though LOL

#15 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I am a number nerd.  

The only upside of DS2 being a planned caesar was that he was born on the 26th.  

26 is my favourite number.  Because it is the only known number to lie directly between a square (5^2) and a cube (3^3).  

I also love DS1's birthday because it is a series of triangular numbers 3,6,10.

But I don't know if I can claim FULL nerd status, as I am not a sci-fi fan.  ninja.gif

#16 FaithHopeLove

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

te name='Minnieme4me' date='10/12/2012, 02:49 PM' post='15146748']
fhl i am not a nerd (yes i am in denial)
[/quote]

Tounge1.gif

I am feeling so happy in this nerdtopia!

AA i love that you are specific in your nerdiness of the only "known" number!

#17 seayork2002

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Are you saying my son's Christmas Presents is for us this year are original.gif

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 10/12/2012, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I could spend my day analysing data extracted and dumped into excel I would be in heaven.

Buffy, firefly are favourite items here.

Lego is not just for kids. DH has to remind me to let them play too.

#18 Jane F. Jetson

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that being able to quote Firefly and Star Wars (only the first three, I'm with Ange), my graphic novel collection and my inexplicable love for daleks are pretty much the least of my nerd crimes.

I'm not sure what wondering about the linguistic movement of the term "bogan," my punctuation/spelling obsession (combined with a cheerful disregard for faux-Latin retconned prescriptive grammar rules), the fact that I'm reading another enormous tome on BC Mediterranean cultures, and my various other obsessions make me.

Edited to add that I'm in my Fibonacci sequence t-shirt today so I am extra nerded up!

Edited by Jane Jetson, 10 December 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#19 Justaduck

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 10/12/2012, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer pallendromic dates to repeating patterns.

I love the fact that DD was born at 10:01. Does that count?
I worked in an internet cafe too

#20 tenar

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Why would you use excel when there's an open source alternative...? wink.gif  

(yes, I'm one of those - I was a Debian Developer in a previous life, also doing research in theoretical physics)

I've just finished my DipEd to teach maths and physics.

Also play the cello and love playing with anything that has cute science in it, like one of my current hobbies: fishkeeping.  

I think I qualify for this thread original.gif

#21 Leggy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Well I recently visited an old school friend, and for a good part of the night her family was sitting round drinking Bundy and cokes while discussing opera. So if that combo is possible, surely nerd + bogan is shiny.

I work in a lab, my favourite website is xkcd.com, I am an utter literature and word nerd (see the In My Pants thread in the games section) and I use the word "shiny" to signify fine or cool in general conversation. So I think I count.

Other trigger words/nerd-based phrases in our home:
Completing a tricky task often results in someone saying: Victory is mine! We thank thee, O Lord, that thou has vouchsafed to us- *thump*
If there is any hesitation in naming something, you can be pretty sure the phrase "curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal" will come out shortly.
"It's very...DIRTY"
Someone walking to the jug will say, "Severed head?" and the other will reply "Just tea for me."

#22 HeroOfCanton

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I call myself a Whedon-phile... so that just covers that side of my nerdy-ness quite well.
Other than that, I'm just a garden variety geek, not particulatly clever or anything, but I take a great interest in science, and sci-fi and other geeky stuff.

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 10/12/2012, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's downloading as I type. DH & I just re-watched Firefly, so we wanted to get that all in first.
Having trouble deciding what to do tonight, Browncoats or Dexter...?

OP, I love numbers like that too. I also like mathematical symbols for some reason, even if I don't fully understand them  unsure.gif
I bought that at the markets yesterday: http://crankybot.com/shop/geekery-typography/pi-necklace
and nearly bought DD this shirt when she was smaller, as it was her favourite rhyme: http://i1.cpcache.com/product/170494217/rh...0&width=380

DH is a nerd too, but he's almost gone too far with the giant millenium falcon lego model taking pride of place in our bedroom...

#23 tenar

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

There's a firefly reunion?????!!!!

original.gif  original.gif  original.gif

#24 Angelot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Jane Jetson @ 10/12/2012, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure what wondering about the linguistic movement of the term "bogan," my punctuation/spelling obsession (combined with a cheerful disregard for faux-Latin retconned prescriptive grammar rules), the fact that I'm reading another enormous tome on BC Mediterranean cultures, and my various other obsessions make me.

A previous thread along these lines degenerated into an argument over whether being a language nerd "counted" among all the science-y types.  I suggest that it is a sub-genre which does and should count, but that's largely because it's a niche to which I have a claim.

Morituri te salutant!

#25 DreamFeralisations

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Excel-queen here...

But I am not so much into sci-fi - does that let me off the hook?

I love numbers, but the patterns to be random - i.e. I was born at 7.47, my daughter at 9.47

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.