Would you buy the toy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 niggles

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

My daughter is completely enthralled with My Little Pony. I'm happy to encourage her because I consider it very good for her creativity and imagination. The television show has really great adventurous story lines where the ponies have varying skills and talents and rely on this and each other to get out of trouble. The leader is Princess Celestia and she encourages the ponies in all their endeavours with wisdom and courage and friendship. All good values from where I'm standing.

She has every other pony in existence. Her grandmother is buying her the wedding castle and wedding ponies that will almost complete the collection. So it's inevitable that the only thing she wants for Christmas is a Princess Celestia doll.

In the show Princess Celestia is white. Inexplicably, the doll is pink.

In the show Princess Celestia is clever and witty. The doll talks and says things like "I'm so pretty" and "Brush my hair" and not much beyond that.

Hasbro have taken on board criticism and re- released a white doll in the US but it still has the same voice chip.

She plays with her ponies constantly and I don't want this silly doll muddying the waters of her imaginative play and turning it from drama and intrigue to hair and giggles. Am I being mean to get her something else? Am I overthinking it? I do take these things seriously but I'm not generally overzealous.

Would you skip it and wait for a better version?

#2 mad madam mim

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Because she is really into it I think I would wait and get her a better version, otherwise she might decide it isn't Princess Celestia at all and it will never be played with.

#3 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Yes you are overthinking it.

My girls have barbies and dolls that say 'pretty as a princess'. Hasn't affect my girls imaginative play one bit. It's just a toy. If she wants it then get it for her.

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I don't have a my little pony-obsessed child, but I would wait. It's not even the real Princess Celestia.

#5 ILBB

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Is it the only thing on her Xmas list - or has she asked for other things??? If she has asked for something else as well and is getting it then no I would be inclined not to get it.  If however it is the only thing she has asked for - then I would!

#6 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Has she seen it and played with it in the shops?  If so, I'd probably get it.

FWIW my daughter got one last Christmas, and it hasn't made her any more vapid and vain wink.gif

ETA: My DD hasn't seen the TV series.  She just likes the toys for imaginative play.

Edited by SlinkyMalinki, 10 December 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#7 Buggylicious

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'd order the white from the US and remove the sound thing.

#8 meggs1

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yes de-chip her.

#9 -*meh*-

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

if she has seen it and accepts it then get it.

if she hasn't seen it and doesn't know that its the wrong colour then dont... as a pony fan i couldn't get over the fact that she was wrong... but i am not a child...

#10 niggles

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the perspectives everyone. I think I'll keep looking and see if I can find a simple non-talking version of the white figurine. Otherwise she can wait for her birthday and I might be able to find something better by then.

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 10/12/2012, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have a my little pony-obsessed child, but I would wait. It's not even the real Princess Celestia.

This is how I'm leaning. It's just not quite the right thing. She'd like a better version much more than this one. Such a shame. There are many annoyed MLP fans around the world by the looks of the commentary on this doll. MLP fans are a breed unto themselves and take it all very seriously. I even saw a blog with step by step instructions for taking apart and then repainting the pink doll. I'm not going that far!

QUOTE (ILBB @ 10/12/2012, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it the only thing on her Xmas list - or has she asked for other things??? If she has asked for something else as well and is getting it then no I would be inclined not to get it.  If however it is the only thing she has asked for - then I would!

It's the only thing she mentions when I ask her but I'm sure she'd be happy with something else. And she'll be very very happy with the wedding castle and the two ponies that come with that from Nanny.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.