Why are coffee tables considered "bogan"?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 CG123

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Just wondering why coffee tables are considered bogan?

Not offended, just curious. I have two and am far from bogan...

Although I am currently wearing thongs, as I am most days happy.gif

#2 Gembac8019

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Never heard of them being bogan... what's supposed to be bogan about them? i prefer coffee tables actually, i can't stand watching visitors balancing their drink/coffee on their knee.. and the chips bowl sitting on the couch.

#3 Ally'smum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

I was wondering this as well, we don't have a coffee table so I am relieved that we are not bogan, but I am not sure why we aren't...

#4 bikingbubs

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

probably so its just another thing people can use to brag about being bogan.

personally, i find them quite useful so no idea about the real reason original.gif

#5 Chchgirl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Everything apart from breathing is bogan, apparently...

Who cares, I don't!

#6 RealityBites

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

I don't think they are, they are not in the definitive list: http://thingsboganslike.com/

#7 Awesome101

Huh? When did this happen? I have a coffee table and I always have people commenting on how nice my decor is... Oh well, suppose I can use it as a footrest now that I'm a bogan

#8 julieandmore

As a designer/decorator, I have found the reverse is true.  I have twice had clients/ customers tell me they don't need a coffee table because they don't drink coffee unsure.gif

#9 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Because someone on EB once said it so it must be true. wink.gif

#10 Boombox

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Chchgirl @ 10/12/2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everything apart from breathing is bogan, apparently...

Who cares, I don't!

I think you'll find even breathing can be divided in Bogan breath and upper class breathing. It's all just snobbery in the end.

I'd have to add that I have the enviable position of visiting pretty typical bogans in their homes (as a health care worker), and while there are many native American or Harley Davidson ornaments, ashtrays on kitchen benches and massive screen TV's- there is rarely a coffee table. OP I think you've been misinformed.

#11 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

My memory (maybe false?) about how this whole bogan coffee table thing is that somebody started a thread asking for advice about redecorating their living room and/or to ask for opinions on their wall colour.  Someone else replied and said something along the lines of "the colour is OK, but the coffee table is bogan".  And a legend was born.

#12 Let_it_Rain

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (RealityBites @ 10/12/2012, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think they are, they are not in the definitive list: http://thingsboganslike.com/

They *have* to be!!! I repurposed my coffee table into an art station for DS just to reduce my boganity.

I don't drink coffee either wink.gif

#13 **Xena**

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

It's from a very old thread about 5 years ago or something laughing2.gif

#14 seayork2002

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I am not sure but where do people keep their mugs/tea cups as they are drinking from them? and remotes

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (thecleanowl @ 10/12/2012, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you'll find even breathing can be divided in Bogan breath and upper class breathing. It's all just snobbery in the end.

I'd have to add that I have the enviable position of visiting pretty typical bogans in their homes (as a health care worker), and while there are many native American or Harley Davidson ornaments, ashtrays on kitchen benches and massive screen TV's- there is rarely a coffee table. OP I think you've been misinformed.

roll2.gif  'cos that will do it every time

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 10/12/2012, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not sure but where do people keep their mugs/tea cups as they are drinking from them? and remotes

our remotes live on the TV cabinet or hidden under sofa pillows.  It's always a guessing game to find the remote.  biggrin.gif

#17 Lottie*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thank you OP for asking this question. I read this earlier today and could not work out why a coffee table makes someone bogan.  Surely there are other things higher on the list.  

Realitybites - i cannot believe there is a list of things bogans like.  Just took a sneak peek and its funny and well written. Thanks for sharing!

#18 Green Door

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I don't think they are bogan. I don't have one because it would just be another thing my kids jump all over.

#19 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Well my sister smashed her nose on our big solid English oak coffee table when we were playing 'circus' back in the 70's.

She now has a crooked nose (and NO coffee table in HER house BTW!) so in her case it was probably the coffee table that made her a bogan and not the other way around!

Does a crooked nose make you bogan?  I mean Stephen Fry has a crooked nose and - well.... Stephen is no 'chav' is he? - but I know the 'rules' are different for boys and girls.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

He has been in jail though original.gif

QUOTE (countrymel @ 10/12/2012, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well my sister smashed her nose on our big solid English oak coffee table when we were playing 'circus' back in the 70's.

She now has a crooked nose (and NO coffee table in HER house BTW!) so in her case it was probably the coffee table that made her a bogan and not the other way around!

Does a crooked nose make you bogan?  I mean Stephen Fry has a crooked nose and - well.... Stephen is no 'chav' is he? - but I know the 'rules' are different for boys and girls.

#21 Z-girls rock

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

I HATE coffee tables.

*because I am so posh* LOL
no. I dont know why. I just hate them. They always look crappy and they get in the way.

I use a side table. (for remotes and putting cups of tea on etc)

but I am giving into DH because he wants one. *sigh* so hard to find a nice one though. HATE them.

Edited by Z-girls rock, 10 December 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#22 Bubblicious

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

And the coffee cup rarely gets put down until empty in my house! lol

#23 BVB09

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Says WHO ? This is the first I have ever heard of coffee tables being BOGAN !!!!

#24 amabanana

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

But I like my mid century Danish teak coffee table with magazine rack. *flounces off*

#25 Jane Jetson

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think they're only bogan if you leave them out on the deck to gather spiderwebs like we have.

(We exiled it because DD1 kept braining herself on it as a toddler... and never brought it back in!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.