Dumb question need help from ACT mums
but don't know where to begin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lorywhol

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

So... I am currently 27 weeks pregnant - due 11 March 2013. I am 40 years old (41 by the time baby comes) and had a C-Section last time.

I am living in Perth right now and was going to stay here to have the baby (elective C section on 3 March) with my Private OB .

However, it looks like DH has got himself a job and a very good deal and we could now be moving over late Jan/early Feb.

We were originally not coming over to Canberra until May, as my job does not start until late July.

I am sure it will be too late by then to find a private OB and get a room - so who do I call and what do I do? If I go public, I presume I can't ask for a C-Section anymore and will just have to wait and see what happens? I am a bit worried now as reading back on some of the posts, it sounds like it's quite difficult to get into a hospital in Canberra (and I won't even talk about day care - that is filling me with dread).

Do I ring a hospital or an OB? And which hospital?

Trying not to panic.

L

#2 Peanut212

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Firstly welcome to Canberra original.gif I am having my first bub through Calvary public in late feb. I would suggest contacting Calvary, Woden (Canberra hospital) and perhaps John James too. They would be able to give you the best advice. the birthing center books out super fast from what i hearso wouldn't bother calling them.Have you considered asking your OB to refer you to one in Canberra? Given you are already receiving care surely they can refer you to another and continue your care and birth plan?
If you know the area you want to live in I would google and call nearby child cares and put your name down on the waiting list. You can go check them out once you arrive and if you don't like them you just take your name off (or stop calling them- they like you to call and express your interest every few months or they drop you from the list). Only one of the 8 we visited expected a waiting list fee. We have put our names down and I won't need child care until 2014... It's crazy. That said depends on the age and also how many days you want. Good luck!

Edited by Peanut212, 10 December 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#3 domlachhan

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

If I go public, I presume I can't ask for a C-Section anymore and will just have to wait and see what happens?
  If you go public through the antenatal clinic at The Canberra Hospital you can usually request an elective c-section based on having had a c-section previously.  They will talk to you about your decision, and make sure you have all the relevant information - but will not say no you cant have one  original.gif

#4 duck-o-lah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'm going public through TCH and expressed my wish to have a CS (after an emergency CS with DS) and they have been 100% supportive, so don't worry about being refused a CS original.gif Good luck.

#5 lorywhol

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Ladies, I think the not knowing (whether I am going to have a baby in Perth or Canberra) is probably what is making me anxious.

I have tried to explain this to DH, but he doesn't quite get it.

He just thinks women have babies everywhere and anywhere! So what's the big deal! And in a way he is right. So I am going to try and relax and go with the flow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.