Rental property maintenance/reno
What will we get back at tax time?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lilmissmuffet

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hi

We've just spent $6000 on painting and re-flooring our rental property after our tenant vacated the unit. It was looking very worn and while not essential it is important to attract a new tenant and raise the rent.

This may seem like a silly question for people who have had a rental property for seven years but when can we expect to recoup our costs? Next tax return? Or when we sell the property in the form of value being added?

In all this time all we've had to do is replace curtains so I'm not sure what to expect!

Thanks in advance - I'm hoping for good news   smile1.gif

#2 protart roflcoptor

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Capital expenses such as you have described will form part of the 'cost base' of the property. When you sell, the amount of income from the sale that you have to add to your taxable income in the year of the sale will be worked out by comparing the sale price with the 'cost base'. There is a booklet you can order from the ATO that has a plain english explanation of the capital gains tax provisions, or you can download it online.
Guide to Capital Gains Tax

#3 Cherish

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm not sure but don't you depreciate the 6K?
I don't think you'll get a lump sum back like you might be hoping....!

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Cherish @ 10/12/2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure but don't you depreciate the 6K?
I don't think you'll get a lump sum back like you might be hoping....!

This is what I thought too, so you'd be able to write off a percentage against the rental income, which reduces your taxable income.

#5 JRA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

I think general painting can be classed as maintenance, rather than capital.

Yes

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content....nt/00183233.htm

So it would be a deduction if it is maintenance.

Reflooring I would think is capital and then therefore depreciated..

Either way you don't "recoup" your costs ever, no-one else is going to pay for those items, you do. Ok, the tenants do over time.

You don't get a lump sum back even for the items that are repair and maintenance, you only reduce your income by that amount. So at most you will get in reduced tax is 47% if you are on $180K+. But given you have probably not paid the tax for the income on the property yet, it means you will get no $ back, just less off of a tax bill.

Edited by JRA, 11 December 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#6 whydoibother

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

maintenance is a deduction, so it interest on the loan etc.  It basically reduces your tax bill somewhat which is handy if you are in the upper tax brackets.

CGT is more complicated.  Just make sure you keep all your records of expenses etc well and for the 5 years.  Also think about land tax that will come up too at some stage I believe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.