Recommendations for rear facing long term seats

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 matt1972

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Our DD is almost 7 months and even though she has always been small we are probably getting towards the end of her time in a capsule.

We have been doing some research and seen all the information regarding rear facing versus forward facing and we would like to keep her rear facing for at least another couple of years.

What do others recommend in terms of particular seats and also where have people been sourcing them? I have read about people getting them in from Sweden or New Zealand and wondered what people on here had done.

Thanks,

Matt

#2 jenchristo

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Infa Secure Neon, from Big W. It's about $160-170. It has the highest markers for rear facing of seats currently available in Australia. I've heard of nearly 3 year old children still rear facing. Infa Secure also have plusher models of this seat, check their website.

Importing seats should be well researched. I think that it's illegal to use an imported/non AU standards seat. Also not covered by insurance?

#3 jenchristo

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

DP

Edited by jenchristo, 10 December 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#4 matt1972

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Yeah you are right about it not being legal to use car seats that haven't been tested to AU/NZ standards. I guess we just have to weigh up whether or not it is worth adhering to outdated standards or finding the safest seat possible for our child.

#5 Steggles

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

My 3 year olds are just at the turn FF marker in the neon (even with the padding in!!!) if I could fit 3 across my car I would.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

Actually the New Compaq has the same height RF markers as the Neon, but the advantage is the FF markers are higher then the Neon, so this seat will last you longer.

#7 Ranunculus

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 10/12/2012, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our DD is almost 7 months and even though she has always been small we are probably getting towards the end of her time in a capsule.

We have been doing some research and seen all the information regarding rear facing versus forward facing and we would like to keep her rear facing for at least another couple of years.

What do others recommend in terms of particular seats and also where have people been sourcing them? I have read about people getting them in from Sweden or New Zealand and wondered what people on here had done.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt!
Good on you for keeping your little one RFing, I wish more people would.
I have my 2yo DD RFing in a Neon and she still has another 6 months RFing I think. The markers a very high! I also own a swedish seat which I puchased when we live in NZ which RF to 25KG, I may or may not use this once DD outgrows her Neon. I'm not sure what age she will out grow the Neon.
Now that we have these longer RFing seats I wouldn't bother importing one unless you are super passionate about RF past 2 or 3 yo. I have spent many years researching ERFing seats and no one seem to know exactly what would happen in an accident if using one here in Australia (ie insurance issues or possible prosecution)

#8 matt1972

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

How does the Neon stack up in safety tests?

#9 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Do these new seats with the higher FF markers go on weight as well?

Just wondering out of interest. My 3 girls were all big babies and had to be turned before 12 months because they had reached the 12kg weigh limit for RF.

#10 Zephie Chugger

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Would love to see pic's of 3 years old still  RFing .

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Infa and SNS are in house testing their higher RF seats with 15kg test dummies. This is in preparation for the next Aust std change which will have a new sub category tested to this weight RF.

#12 podg

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

We're not allowed to discuss foreign seats on this forum for legal reasons.

#13 matt1972

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Zephie Chugger @ 11/12/2012, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would love to see pic's of 3 years old still  RFing .

Almost 3

#14 matt1972

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (podg @ 11/12/2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're not allowed to discuss foreign seats on this forum for legal reasons.

That sounds like absolute garbage. What possible be legal reasons could there be that prevent people discussing overseas car seats?

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (luckytwo @ 04/11/2011, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

In the Car Restraints forum there is an understandable interest in Restraints and Latch Systems (eg ISOFIX) that are currently not legal to use in Australia.
Some members may have European Cars or have used these seats in other countries.

After consultation with EB Administration it has been decided that topics or posts that request information or recommendations for use of these seats in Australia will need to be removed from view.

The forum rules prohibit discussion of or encouragement to undertake illegal activities.

While it is ok to discuss child restraints and latch systems that not available in Australia, any reference to using them in Australia will need to be removed.

Thank you for your understanding and your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
If you need to discuss this further please contact me directly and not via the forum as per the Site Rules.

Regards,

luckytwo
Moderator of this forum

Matt the SnS Compaq I have posted links before showing a 98 cm 3 yo still undr the lines to turn FF.  so no need for illegal.

#16 matt1972

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

What a load of crap. If that's the case then they need to close the tv threads that discuss shows that have been downloaded illegally, close the shopping threads where people are sourcing items that the manufacturer forbids being shipped to Australia, etc etc.
Maybe Fairfax have shares in sns

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 11/12/2012, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt the SnS Compaq I have posted links before showing a 98 cm 3 yo still undr the lines to turn FF.  so no need for illegal.

Thanks for the advice re the Compaq. It looks the goods original.gif

#17 crankybee

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Matt, join the FB page https://www.facebook.com/#!/ERF4aussiekidspls?fref=ts Lots of great info there!

#18 IsolaBella

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

I actually use my compaq for my 5.5 yo but he is getting a booster seat and my just turned 3 yo will go in the Compaq... I think she will still be below the lines.

Edited by lsolaBella, 11 December 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#19 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Infa and SNS are in house testing their higher RF seats with 15kg test dummies. This is in preparation for the next Aust std change which will have a new sub category tested to this weight RF.

Thanks for the info. Great that they are testing with higher weight limit now. I wish these seats were available when my my girls were babies.

#20 Busydays

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

We have a unity capsule that has a rear facing limit of 12 kilos. My DS3 is 11 months, rear facing and still only 9 kilos so he has a lot of time left! My 3 year old is only just 15 kilos, and he rear faced in the unity until almost 2 when he reached the weight limit. It was the only option I could find at the time that was approved in Australia and available in most shops.

#21 All-New

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

4boysandme - was he not too tall for the height restrictions, ie straps/slots 2.5cm below the shoulders?  
My 3yo is just over 12kgs but no way she could fit height wise in a unity, even at 2.

#22 IsolaBella

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Yes there is no way a 3yo could fit in the Unity.

RF the shoulder strap are not allowed to be below the shoulders plus there needs to be 2.5cm between the top if the head and the top of the seat. My small child outgrew the unity at only 70cm and 8kgs

Eta the 15 kgs is only on the 0-4yrs 2010 standard seats with the high RF markers

Edited by lsolaBella, 12 December 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#23 matt1972

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Went to both Baby Mode and Baby Bunting yesterday and came away feeling like people who are selling safety items for people should have a much better knowledge of the products and differences between them.
We came away thinking that the sellers very rarely get questioned because they really didn't have any answers to a lot of our questions.

ETA
The piece de resistance was when my wife said she would like our daughter to rear face as long as possible and was informed that "at 7 months there is no legal requirement for her to rear face and she should be fine forward facing."

Edited by matt1972, 15 December 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#24 IsolaBella

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Too true sad.gif . But then again they are only sales people. I had a giggle the month after we purchased our car when we got an email saying the car salesman was now going to sell mobile phones. I knew more about the car we were buying then he did.

That is why it is good to ask questions on EB.

#25 moonshine

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Just looked at the photos of the chilren rear facing and i have 2 questions
!.. what happens in a accident wouldnt they break their legs the way they are positioned.
2, arent the childremn uncomortable, especially on a long trip'
Sorry but i would prefer my child forward facing at the age.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.