Diet and breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raone

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

So I have about 7 kilos to go before I am back in a healthy weight range since having bub. I did alot of exercising to start with that helped.But unfortunately I was limited due to c section. As well as the house falling apart due to taking that amount of time to exercise.

So I was thinking of changing my diet a bit loosely based on the csiro diet. Basically I would be cutting out the junk and scaling back on carbs. Which would mean about two slices of bread a day and a small bowl of cereal or equivalent. Then there are a ton of vegies I can feast on if hungry which I figured would actually be better as they are more nutrient rich than say potatoes or pasta.

Do you think this sounds okay while breastfeeding? I actually feel like I will be eating better than I have been but not sure.

#2 Angelot

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

In a way I asked the same question last year -  wanted to eat less junk/more simply as a fast, but the essence of the question was the same.  You might find that thread helpful, here:

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=939726

#3 Cat People

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

How old is your baby?

#4 ubermum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

I'm breastfeeding and eat like that. It sounds like you will have more than enough nutrients. Just plan your day with small meals and plenty of snacks so you don't get hungry and blow it.

#5 raone

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

He is almost four months.

#6 ez21

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I think the general idea is to eat a balanced diet, aiming to lose around 0.5 kg per week.  I would probably cut back on some of the high carb or sugar foods that are lower in nutrient value to achieve this.

I've been losing about 0.5 kg per week while breastfeeding and I just cut back a bit on bread, pasta, sweets etc.  This level of weight loss has been really easy and I feel like I haven't had to cut out too much.

Each person is different I guess, but I think you're on the right track.  Just make sure you don't lose too much too quickly and obviously keep an eye on your weight loss and your milk supply.

All the best!

#7 raone

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Thanks guys I think my problem is I love pasta and mashed potato with lashings of butter lol. But I think If i just cut that from dinner it should help me without me starving. I did one meal like that last night to see if it hit the spot. Apricot chicken with celery carrot and onion and some greens on the side no rice and I was really full so maybe i will just focus on that for now and see how I go. My husband will be doing it with me although his diet will be much stricter than mine biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.